• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ciúnas Audio ISO DAC Teardown and Failed Review

gikigill

l have to say this is really bad review, very unprofessional.

For what it's worth, l recently tested his ISODAC Supercap, l found the sound far superior to my RME Adi-2, l can't profess the technical reasons why, accept to say the ability to hear details clearer.
l look forward to a proper review in the future, rather than a personal attack on a persons business model

Superior to the RME-Adi 2. Famous last words

Stellabagpuss

Have you?
? Sorry, not sure why l should, just thought you would have contacted him before writing.
l think you are looking in my views to deeply, it's not an attack at you, l just assumed you be interested in JK views, to reinforce your teardown.
l will comment no more, as the review is out, and you can't turn the clock back.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is not a review.. its a teardown by request of the owner as it did not work... it reveals amateur build quality. regardless if it is a prototype that made it in the wild or a 'final product'.
The fact that it was not operational says enough and is not strange given how it is built.

When it would have been working it would have been measured and rated and chances are the device may not have been opened at all.

Owners who enjoy their device should do so... perhaps they could take the front of and have a peak inside to see if their device looks similar and post a picture ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
l have to say this is really bad review, very unprofessional.
Surely if you had tested, or if there was issue, letting JK respond, prior to this its is poor review.
l normally enjoy your tests, but this seems so personal.
In the sprit of fair play, why not ask JK for a review sample, then test.
For what it's worth, l recently tested his ISODAC Supercap, l found the sound far superior to my RME Adi-2, l can't profess the technical reasons why, accept to say the ability to hear details clearer.
Lastly, can l ask why there is never an opinion on how the items being reviewed sound?
l only ask, out of interest.
l look forward to a proper review in the future, rather than a personal attack on a persons business model

Uh huh.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Unfortunately, it's not really worth much, unless you matched output levels to .1db, and performed the test blind.
Lastly, can l ask why there is never an opinion on how the items being reviewed sound?

Looks like you haven't read many reviews after all...

Stellabagpuss

It is not a review.. its a teardown by request of the owner as it did not work... it reveals amateur build quality. regardless if it is a prototype that made it in the wild or a 'final product'.
The fact that it was not operational says enough and is not strange given how it is built.

When it would have been working it would have been measured and rated and chances are the device may not have been opened at all.

Owners who enjoy their device should do so... perhaps they could take the front of and have a peak inside to see if their device looks similar and post a picture ?

Thank you for a honest and sensible reply, some of comments have been taken way out of context

l just feel it could have been better, and while interesting, and good that ISODAC users should check there units, it would have been nice to have some thoughts from JK as a right to reply.

Of course, l don't if he is aware of this article, or if he was approached for comment?

I guess l have to accept, that l prefer a review, rather than a teardown.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I mentioned in other threads I am working on a CD-player prototype.
I would say 80% of the time go into doing things right and not the design itself.
I.e. placement of the boards, NOT crossing paths, keep wires as short as possible.
To get all boards fastened by screws, not glued on the casing
It is like playing a puzzle and lot of time goes into research like finding the right AC inlet that is small enough
but can still hold a fuse and power switch. (Thus avoiding main´s AC wires to the front panel, though this is a standard.)
So it really makes me angry that someone has the nerve to built something based on Lithium batteries
without any thought on safety...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there is a question which is key to this teardown - was the product sold as a marketable product, or was it passed to the user on the clear understanding that it was a hand made prototype not of saleable quality? If it is the former then I think it is important to bring to peoples question just how badly made this thing is (I'd be ashamed to admit to this if I'd made it, never mind trying to sell it to others), if it is the latter then yes I would agree that the teardown needs to be put into context.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there is a question which is key to this teardown - was the product sold as a marketable product, or was it passed to the user on the clear understanding that it was a hand made prototype not of saleable quality? If it is the former then I think it is important to bring to peoples question just how badly made this thing is (I'd be ashamed to admit to this if I'd made it, never mind trying to sell it to others), if it is the latter then yes I would agree that the teardown needs to be put into context.
+1

Context is important.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no way a mess of boards in a box would somehow sound better than a piece of technical excellence like an RME ADI-2.
This is just nonsensical marketing speak.
I'd go further: There is no way the same person would buy the SOTA piece of gear the ADI-2 is (at least, build quality-wise) AS WELL AS this piece of garbage soldered by a 10 years old kid.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I guess l have to accept, that l prefer a review, rather than a teardown.

That's just not what you get on this site. "Does the designer have ten thumbs?" trumps "How does it sound?" every time :)

Besides, subjective reviews are a dime a dozen on the internet.

On topic: What on earth is that USB 3 hub PCB doing in there? Is that what's supposed to give the "isolation"?

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FYI, prior to writing this article I researched for other reviews and found this one on the ISO DAC variation. Watch from here on where he says he didn't bother to explain what is inside the unit because of high density of components:

[youtube link removed]

Wonder if he saw what I saw so didn't want to show that.

Way later at 8:00 minute mark, he says measurements showed very high high frequency noise as to mess up his measurements (!). And that he found the highs to be harsh.

He goes to vacation for two weeks and then that problem apparently is no longer an issue!

The only factual thing I think I've ever heard Hans Beekhuyzen say in his videos is "Whatever you do, enjoy the music".

Labjr

Major Contributor
Far as I'm concerned, Amir did an act of public service. This kind of stuff needs to be exposed. They didn't deserve to be forewarned. I would question the ethics of whoever made this piece of trash and tried to pass it off as a retail product. Same with all the reviewers who rave about it without measurements or peaking inside. Sorry, they deserve the fallout from this.

Top Bottom