• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ciúnas Audio ISO DAC Teardown and Failed Review

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my point..why not ask for a review model, instead of non review, reporting when working would be logical, at least in my view

Are you just ignoring the part about how the hardware inside is built in an extremely unprofessional if not dangerous manner? Does it matter how something sounds if every other unit is a fire hazard?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Lastly, can l ask why there is never an opinion on how the items being reviewed sound?
Every headphone amp (with or without DAC) comes with listening test. That is probably 1/3 of all the reviews I perform.

On other products, I occasionally perform listening tests. They have never, ever produce the results as you just reported so I don't waste time doing them all the time.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Surely if you had tested, or if there was issue, letting JK respond, prior to this its is poor review.
This is not a review but analysis of the design and construction of the unit. Everyone can see the same things I saw and can comment if what I said is appropriate or not. So far I am not seeing anyone saying this is remotely good design. What would you have expected John to say? And why can't he say it now?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For what it's worth, l recently tested his ISODAC Supercap, l found the sound far superior to my RME Adi-2, l can't profess the technical reasons why, accept to say the ability to hear details clearer.
Even if that is true, it has nothing to do with my teardown article. Take it apart and post some pictures if you want to help us figure out what is going on. If yours is as bad as the one I tested, owners and potential owners need to know.

BillG

Major Contributor
l look forward to a proper review in the future, rather than a personal attack on a persons business model

The tear down, and that's what this is, merely points out the device's poor construction. If the manufacturer didn't want that highlighted, perhaps he should have done a better job of it. There's nothing personal about that.

What? You didn't like some of the language used to describe it? Had I written it I would have been much more scathing... :p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI, prior to writing this article I researched for other reviews and found this one on the ISO DAC variation. Watch from here on where he says he didn't bother to explain what is inside the unit because of high density of components:

Wonder if he saw what I saw so didn't want to show that.

Way later at 8:00 minute mark, he says measurements showed very high high frequency noise as to mess up his measurements (!). And that he found the highs to be harsh.

He goes to vacation for two weeks and then that problem apparently is no longer an issue!

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen Jkeny in various forums over the years.

JK was the welcoming committee on Computer Audiophile when I first joined. For some reason he decided to be really nasty and attacked me non-stop on every question or comment. He got banned (not for the first time) soon thereafter, though nothing to do with me. Strange character and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Labjr

Major Contributor
FYI, prior to writing this article I researched for other reviews and found this one on the ISO DAC variation. Watch from here on where he says he didn't bother to explain what is inside the unit because of high density of components:

Wonder if he saw what I saw so didn't want to show that.

Way later at 8:00 minute mark, he says measurements showed very high high frequency noise as to mess up his measurements (!). And that he found the highs to be harsh.

He goes to vacation for two weeks and then that problem apparently is no longer an issue!

Evidently, while on vacation, he went to an air show and forgot to wear earplugs.

I can't believe what a joke the hi-fi review industry is. I've been a long time subscriber of Stereophile because they do measurements (and it's cheap money). But I've noticed that depending on the piece, they like certain measurements but don't talk about other ones. They can make any component seem good unless it's so bad they have to report it.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Here's some 2014 engineer's prototypes/test mules of Technics' developments:

Very nice and tidy compared to some of the things I've seen. Often something in the line of: "I know we only have a conceptual idea so far, but we need to show something functional to a potential customer. Stuff if in a nice box! You have half an hour! Make it happen!" :D

In the sprit of fair play, why not ask JK for a review sample, then test.

Even if it should sound like angels singing, it doesn't change the fact that the hardware is hacked together in an inexcusably bad fashion.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Very nice and tidy compared to some of the things I've seen. Often something in the line of: "I know we only have a conceptual idea so far, but we need to show something functional to a potential customer. Stuff if in a nice box! You have half an hour! Make it happen!" :D

Even if it should sound like angels singing, it doesn't change the fact that the hardware is hacked together in an inexcusably bad fashion.

Yes. Worse than shoddy. That is far worse than any of my DIY work.

Why are recently arrived members hell-bent on making excuses for what we can plainly see?

Even if it worked and measured great it is a piece of crap as a commercial product.

Last edited:

Stellabagpuss

Can you share your test results and setup?

If it was a sighted evaluation, a purely subjective 'listening' based one then unfortunately it will likely be misleading and certainly of very little relevance to actual performance.

Such ' testing ' is why audio is in such a mess and devices like this exist.

I was just passing a comment in regards to an opinion as a example, l am more interested in proper tests

Stellabagpuss

Are you just ignoring the part about how the hardware inside is built in an extremely unprofessional if not dangerous manner? Does it matter how something sounds if every other unit is a fire hazard?

No l am asking
Even if that is true, it has nothing to do with my teardown article. Take it apart and post some pictures if you want to help us figure out what is going on. If yours is as bad as the one I tested, owners and potential owners need to know.

Have ask JK for comment?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
l have to say this is really bad review, very unprofessional.
Surely if you had tested, or if there was issue, letting JK respond, prior to this its is poor review.
l normally enjoy your tests, but this seems so personal.
For what it's worth, l recently tested his ISODAC Supercap, l found the sound far superior to my RME Adi-2, l can't profess the technical reasons why, accept to say the ability to hear details clearer.
Lastly, can l ask why there is never an opinion on how the items being reviewed sound?
l only ask, out of interest.
l look forward to a proper review in the future, rather than a personal attack on a persons business model
I was going to reply but its inappropriate.

Just post the review link in Pink Fish and let JK respond.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
l have to say this is really bad review, very unprofessional.
l normally enjoy your tests, but this seems so personal.
l only ask, out of interest.
There is no way a mess of boards in a box would somehow sound better than a piece of technical excellence like an RME ADI-2.
This is just nonsensical marketing speak.

Top Bottom