• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Grade Capacitors?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't have much knowledge in the inner workings of audio equipment, but this video smells of BS.

Plus, they mention a guy from Audio Note, that sells capacitors for audio products, as the provider of some of their information. So it sounds to me like there are hidden marketing motives at play.

So how much of this information is reliable and how much is audiophile nonsense?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's like BS Audio videos. Some truths mixed with nonsense.

There are measurable differences between capacitors and there are capacitors that perform better in some cases than others.
Some types of electrolytics are more suited for certain jobs.
The whole audiophile bit where one decoupling or coupling capacitor sounds different than other types of the same capacitance are suspect.
I would dare to say that those people most certainly did not test blind.

For speaker crossovers where high currents and voltages occur things are different than for a regulated DC power decoupling task in a DAC or headphone or pre-amp.
For rectifiers high and short charge currents require different caps than caps in a regulated DC power supply line.

Cheap low voltage and not suited dielectrics may be a wise choice for decoupling caps but a very bad choice in the signal path or filter circuit.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
From what I've seen the only difference between so called audio grade capacitors and a normal high quality capacitor is that they address the "problem" with microphonics. If you ask me, it's just another a case of trying to fix something that didn't need fixing to begin with.

A quality capacitor is a quality capacitor. Some types are better for certain applications, but non are specifically suited for audio.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Google "capacitor shootout" when you have some free time...

Martin

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I just did, but didn't find much useful information?

There's a reference to a supposed blind test that ClarityCap have done showing microphonics having an impact on subjective preference. It's very sparse on details, and I have a hard time putting my trust in it as long as it has not been successfully repeated by an impartial party.

BTW, don't we already have a thread about this?: AES Paper Digest: Audio Capacitors. Myth or reality?

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Audio capacitors differ from regular ones mainly in that they are not distributed through normal channels and that they do not have detailed datasheets.

To be fair, the first and the most successful "audio capacitors" were from the big Japanese players, were/are distributed through normal channels and have very detailed data sheets.

Elna: Starget, Cerafine and my personal favourite in the BS stakes- Silmic II.
Rubycon : Blackgate
Nichicon : Muse, Fine-Gold (UFG), KZ etc

Basically they need some magic chit to put in the electrolyte, one used some silk fibres (Japanese love silk), another had some powdered carbon stuff and not to be outdone, another said powdered micro ceramic particles really help the 'sound'. Me, I just like them for the pretty outer wrap, emerald green for Muse, Gold for fine gold with expensive looking writing etc...

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Point taken - post deleted...

It's OK, I've kept it for posterity! :)

1572046444291.png

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's OK, I've kept it for posterity! :)

Yes, but you're an Aussie, and anyone from the UK, New Zealand or Australia is allowed by their peers to skewer politicians. Americans are much more sensitive to political insults - even when the humor is appropriate!

Heck, I'm almost a Panamanian now - might even becme a citizen if I work on my Español a bit more. Since I moved away from my beloved Sonoma County in Northern California, that region seems hell-bent on self immolation with yet another massive and destructive wildfire happening right now...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since I moved away from my beloved Sonoma County in Northern California, that region seems hell-bent on self immolation with yet another massive and destructive wildfire happening right now...
I heard that on the radio yesterday. We used to drive to Geyserville every time we drove up to napa valley. Hope everything remains safe and the fire misses their houses.

BillG

Major Contributor
I moved away from my beloved Sonoma County in Northern California, that region seems hell-bent on self immolation with yet another massive and destructive wildfire happening right now...

It's like that in SoCal also, as I'm sure you're already aware of. When I lived in Los Angeles, during the mid 80's to 90's, we had fires every year in the hills with some of them being more dangerous than usual. One in Topanga Canyon especially comes to mind as my then girlfriend had to evacuate for a week as the fires were getting dangerously close to her home... :oops:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
^^^ We need a double-like...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, but on a more serious note, my 16 year old amp crapped out. The place I took it to for a repair job seemed completely legit and replaced 16 caps. The unit sounds better than ever. Question: Is it possible it actually sounds better or am I just glad to have it home again?

Top Bottom