• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Quality Control says that the Pico logo is on the top right.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would rather have cheap DAC like SMSL SU-8 v2 that is totally transparent, connected to reasonably priced amp like Rotel RB-1582 MkII powering Revel F208 that not only sound very well but look as they were made in Florence (Tuscany).
At least I know, beyond any doubt, that I didn't pay extra for its esthetics...
I tend to agree with Krunok, esthetics carry some importance for me. I gladly pay extra for a nice wood finish and grill cloth on the various Pro monitors, they are butt ugly. Wouldn't have to cost a fortune. My HSU's look handsome in their Rosenut finish. My room size, etc; restrict me to stand monitors, but why do they all have to be fugly?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a couple of graphs were finally posted by Ted Smith. Alas, they create more questions than answers. Here is one of them:

11838ddccacd96594a6d224fbede2029e8ff11c8.png

The measurements are made at a low level which of course hide any chance for distortion products to show. From my measurements, distortion products are -80 dB below the signal we feed the DAC at 1 kHz. If you start with a -60 dB signal then, the distortion would be at whopping -140 dB! Can his instrumentation show this? Answer: no.

If you look on top right you see the logo "Pico." PIco makes very popular PC based oscilloscope. Since they use the PC for control, they tend to cost less than dedicated scopes and hence the reason many hobbyists use them too.

The issue with them or any scope is that they are made for speed, NOT resolution of dynamic range. We don't know which model of PIco scope Ted is used but let's pick one of their higher-end units:

View attachment 34527

As we see, the sampling rate is a huge, 1 Gigasamples/second. That is far, far higher than Kilohertz sample rate we use for audio. Since there is no free lunch in physics, when you run an ADC inside a scope that fast, you can't have accuracy or dynamic range. In that sense, even a cheap PC ADC sound card can outperform the Picoscope!

As a general rule, digital scopes are NOT suitable for audio performance analysis. They used because they are cheap but are insufficient for measurements of anything high performance.

In this case, the ADC in Picoscope is adding its own noise to the measurements and with it, can hide distortion products that we can easily unearth with 24 bit dual-ADCs in Audio Precision APx555 analyzer I use.

Yes, APx555 is expensive but it only costs the same as five PS Audio DS DACs!

So we await a proper measurement by PS Audio with a precision audio analyzer. Not an electronics design tool that the Pico scope is.
At the bottom of his test it says it's a 4262.
https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/4262/picoscope-4262-overview

Krunok

Major Contributor
I tend to agree with Krunok, esthetics carry some importance for me. I gladly pay extra for a nice wood finish and grill cloth on the various Pro monitors, they are butt ugly. Wouldn't have to cost a fortune. My HSU's look handsome in their Rosenut finish. My room size, etc; restrict me to stand monitors, but why do they all have to be fugly?

In studios they actually look ok, but as soon as you put them in a room they turn that butt ugly face. :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
In studios they actually look ok, but as soon as you put them in a room they turn that butt ugly face. :D

I had envisioned mine behind a screen when I got them...

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You better listen to them with your eyes closed! :D

That does help. At least covering the front power lights, which must have a double use as backyard spotlights, helped my night vision while watching movies...

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why nothing else above -120? Why not below -100 or even -90? Allow that and a HiFiBerry will do the job for $40.
I'd probably be satisfied with those as well, but that misses the point. A single SINAD score doesn't tell us everything we might need to know about the DAC. My example would be fine on a sensitive horn system, but a DAC with -90dB noise floor might not. Both could have the same SINAD ranking.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I'd probably be satisfied with those as well, but that misses the point. A single SINAD score doesn't tell us everything we might need to know about the DAC. My example would be fine on a sensitive horn system, but a DAC with -90dB noise floor might not. Both could have the same SINAD ranking.

Only if you crank horns to 120dB+ (which you won't) and you have less than 30dB of noise in your room (which you don't).

Top Bottom