• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Miguelón

Nice, if they are good for piano they are likely really good. I use a lot of piano music to test speakers to see how much of the peddle or key hitting the stops I can make out.

Nice, if they are good for piano they are likely really good.
For the piano I find 8020s more balanced, I’m still hesitating between both speakers.
Probably is due to my room acoustics but 8030 sounds more forward, mid focused whereas 8020s seems better balanced.

Also maybe a personal preference or even a better match with the Kawai piano sample, but probably I will keep the 8020 despite the better measurements of its bigger brother

Miguelón

Personally, I trust the 8030 more than my ears.
I was formed as an acoustic musician, speakers are… just speakers. If I could have a big house with a grand piano and acoustic treatment that is I will play, a digital one with a pair of monitors is just a simulation.
Surprisingly good simulation I have to say, each year systems improve more and more

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the piano I find 8020s more balanced, I’m still hesitating between both speakers.
Probably is due to my room acoustics but 8030 sounds more forward, mid focused whereas 8020s seems better balanced.

Also maybe a personal preference or even a better match with the Kawai piano sample, but probably I will keep the 8020 despite the better measurements of its bigger brother
For my application I can't really go smaller than the 8030 really as will be used for hi-fi listening rather than professional work at nearfield. I'm not averse to using EQ if needed though so sure I can tailor sound if required. Have you experimented much with EQ with yours?

Also does the 8030 give good detail of the keys hitting the stops etc? My current speakers are D.I.Y bookshelves, really nice especially with piano and instruments in general but they do seem to maybe lack something making them feel a little laid back for some genres of music. Only thing I'm concerned about slightly with the Genelec is the high end detail and trailing edges etc as currently running ribbons and concerned the dome might leave me wanting. I have heard the 8030 and was impressed, but wasn't really the best environment and didn't get long to really evaluate such as didn't have my usual test tracks with me to try.

Just looked up the measurements for the 8020. Seems odd that should sound better, but from what I can tell if a trend line is drawn through it is slightly recessed in the midrange, can see how that could be an advantage in that range where most people's ears are most sensitive. Plus the horizontal dispersion is pretty much the best I've ever seen, literally flat and no deviations which when playing a piano and the movement that can entail I can see how that would make uniformity much better in that scenario. Can imagine that's a worthy trade over completely flat response in a few situations.

Last edited:

Miguelón

For my application I can't really go smaller than the 8030 really as will be used for hi-fi listening rather than professional work at nearfield. I'm not averse to using EQ if needed though so sure I can tailor sound if required. Have you experimented much with EQ with yours?

Also does the 8030 give good detail of the keys hitting the stops etc? My current speakers are D.I.Y bookshelves, really nice especially with piano and instruments in general but they do seem to maybe lack something making them feel a little laid back for some genres of music. Only thing I'm concerned about slightly with the Genelec is the high end detail and trailing edges etc as currently running ribbons and concerned the dome might leave me wanting. I have heard the 8030 and was impressed, but wasn't really the best environment and didn't get long to really evaluate such as didn't have my usual test tracks with me to try.
It depends on the recording, but usually I don’t pay attention to key stops sounds. For the pedaling yes, I can hear it on some recordings, Vikingur Olafsson is a pianist whose recordings are made with microphones very close to the piano or even inside. I remember also some jazz recordings with audible mechanical sounds.
But the majority of the tracks I listen recently are piano concertos, so the orchestra is superposed to the piano and also the microphones use to be places at some distance of the ensemble, impossible to my ears to detect those details.

Ze Frog

It depends on the recording, but usually I don’t pay attention to key stops sounds. For the pedaling yes, I can hear it on some recordings, Vikingur Olafsson is a pianist whose recordings are made with microphones very close to the piano or even inside. I remember also some jazz recordings with audible mechanical sounds.
But the majority of the tracks I listen recently are piano concertos, so the orchestra is superposed to the piano and also the microphones use to be places at some distance of the ensemble, impossible to my ears to detect those details.
I guess I'll find out. To be honest one of my main reasons for deciding to go this route is to have something that measures as good as can be and be done with it. Plus built-in amplifier's, takes away the whole wanting to try something different, although I'm usually pretty good at actually succumbing to the upgrade bug. Also the 8030C has a Black LTD edition, seems like everything has aligned for getting these.

May even venture into music creation at some point, creativity is good for the mind and all that. My current creative hobby is reaching it's end of life as pretty much everything is emulated now so there will be a void to fill. How about your music? You got a YouTube channel or anything? If you have let me know and I'll check it out and subscribe.

Miguelón

I guess I'll find out. To be honest one of my main reasons for deciding to go this route is to have something that measures as good as can be and be done with it. Plus built-in amplifier's, takes away the whole wanting to try something different, although I'm usually pretty good at actually succumbing to the upgrade bug. Also the 8030C has a Black LTD edition, seems like everything has aligned for getting these.

May even venture into music creation at some point, creativity is good for the mind and all that. My current creative hobby is reaching it's end of life as pretty much everything is emulated now so there will be a void to fill. How about your music? You got a YouTube channel or anything? If you have let me know and I'll check it out and subscribe.
No channel at all, my profession is physiotherapist (or physical therapist, I don’t know exactly which one is correct). Was a piano student and today is a hobby.

You have an even better measured 5 inch speaker: the Neumann KH 120 ii which has also inbuilt DSP and a software to room compensation:

Ze Frog

No channel at all, my profession is physiotherapist (or physical therapist, I don’t know exactly which one is correct). Was a piano student and today is a hobby.

You have an even better measured 5 inch speaker: the Neumann KH 120 ii which has also inbuilt DSP and a software to room compensation:

Ah, I see. Never too late to turn hobby into more, maybe something for retirement days. I need to learn to play an instrument with more proficiency, don't want to reach the end and regret not learning the art of music playing, lol, surely a requirement to get through the pearly gates or equivalent.

Yeah, I did demo the KH150 a little while back next to the Genelec 8340, felt the Genelec provided a better listening experience at the 2-3 meters I'd be using as it's tweeter seemed a bit clearer and defined. Some of it could have been because despite measuring perfect on axis, in room the dip in midrange around 2-4k if memory serves, maybe that sucked some detail away. Funnily enough though, close up the Neumann was better I thought, it's probably the choice I'd make on a desk at say 1m. Genelec seems to have a more even sound power though and pushes out further into the room far easier. Neumann had a rather nice low and low midrange though.

Miguelón

Just looked up the measurements for the 8020. Seems odd that should sound better, but from what I can tell if a trend line is drawn through it is slightly recessed in the midrange, can see how that could be an advantage in that range where most people's ears are most sensitive. Plus the horizontal dispersion is pretty much the best I've ever seen, literally flat and no deviations which when playing a piano and the movement that can entail I can see how that would make uniformity much better in that scenario. Can imagine that's a worthy trade over completely flat response in a few situations.
EQ can correct some energy excess provided by reflections but cannot do anything with nodes or antinodes, because subtracting or adding energy will remain the irregularities unchanged.

Probably I could equalize from my computer but I use most of times my phone to play Tidal and has no EQ.

I’m looking for a streamer with a dedicated app and EQ for iphone or ipad, perhaps you can give me some suggestions

Miguelón

Ah, I see. Never too late to turn hobby into more, maybe something for retirement days. I need to learn to play an instrument with more proficiency, don't want to reach the end and regret not learning the art of music playing, lol, surely a requirement to get through the pearly gates or equivalent.

Yeah, I did demo the KH150 a little while back next to the Genelec 8340, felt the Genelec provided a better listening experience at the 2-3 meters I'd be using as it's tweeter seemed a bit clearer and defined. Some of it could have been because despite measuring perfect on axis, in room the dip in midrange around 2-4k if memory serves, maybe that sucked some detail away. Funnily enough though, close up the Neumann was better I thought, it's probably the choice I'd make on a desk at say 1m. Genelec seems to have a more even sound power though and pushes out further into the room far easier. Neumann had a rather nice low and low midrange though.
Did you found them somehow “boring”? I tested the mentioned KH 120 ii and I found it a little bit like that, of course is very subjective

Ze Frog

EQ can correct some energy excess provided by reflections but cannot do anything with nodes or antinodes, because subtracting or adding energy will remain the irregularities unchanged.

Probably I could equalize from my computer but I use most of times my phone to play Tidal and has no EQ.

I’m looking for a streamer with a dedicated app and EQ for iphone or ipad, perhaps you can give me some suggestions
Yeah, I'm really of very limited experience with streamers, I briefly dabbled but I decided to stick with CD's as I am a bit of a caveman and like the interaction with the media used and owning the music. Only thing that springs to mind is something by WIIM as they have PEQ and great for operation by phone apparently.

Miguelón

Yeah, I'm really of very limited experience with streamers, I briefly dabbled but I decided to stick with CD's as I am a bit of a caveman and like the interaction with the media used and owning the music. Only thing that springs to mind is something by WIIM as they have PEQ and great for operation by phone apparently.
Probably I will go for the expected WiiM Ultra when they release it, have been advice for it. Also Bluesound Node X but is quite expensive.

I love CDs also, but few years ago I worked in different french hospitals to formation and I moved a lot, so I stopped to carry CDs and began in streaming world

Ze Frog

Did you found them somehow “boring”? I tested the mentioned KH 120 ii and I found it a little bit like that, of course is very subjective
Yes, but in the upper midrange and treble. The bass and lower mids almost seemed like they were slightly embellished, but maybe that's because of the tweeter, or just personal taste really, it's a job to say when on paper they measure so flat. I go by the estimated in room over on axis though, and that's where the 8030C seems to come out on top. Sometimes the on axis close measuring can be pretty misleading once you get to predicted in room and slightly further away. By boring though, I kind of mean neutral, nothing grabbing attention as a lot of Hi-fi does, they definitely aren't boring in the sense of non engaging, it's a strange descriptive in the way it's used with monitors I think.

Ze Frog

Probably I will go for the expected WiiM Ultra when they release it, have been advice for it. Also Bluesound Node X but is quite expensive.

I love CDs also, but few years ago I worked in different french hospitals to formation and I moved a lot, so I stopped to carry CDs and began in streaming world
Yeah, streaming is definitely convenient. To be honest one of the main annoyance's for me was the bit rate anxiety, was the streaming service giving me what I thought I was getting. If I did streaming again in future, I'd literally just go with something like Spotify in the CD tier quality rather than get caught in the race for numbers and the newest chipset every time they are released. I'll keep my CD's if I can, and grow collection but some stuff can be digital only now, which seems like madness when you see how little an artist gets per stream.

Miguelón

Yeah, streaming is definitely convenient. To be honest one of the main annoyance's for me was the bit rate anxiety, was the streaming service giving me what I thought I was getting. If I did streaming again in future, I'd literally just go with something like Spotify in the CD tier quality rather than get caught in the race for numbers and the newest chipset every time they are released. I'll keep my CD's if I can, and grow collection but some stuff can be digital only now, which seems like madness when you see how little an artist gets per stream.
Spotify is very good as complete discography and playlists are so useful to discover mew music. If you don’t care from the bitrate is funny, I still have a subscription.

I’m agree that artist are very bad payed and have less and less disc revenues because of streaming platforms success.

I heard that Qobuz treat better the musicians, good audio quality and offer also.

Today sample rate is quite variable, if I could choose I will regulate market to 24 bit/48 kHz as it works well on films and audio, this will eliminate speculations with hi-res and is just a little heavier than CD in memory storage

Ze Frog

Spotify is very good as complete discography and playlists are so useful to discover mew music. If you don’t care from the bitrate is funny, I still have a subscription.

I’m agree that artist are very bad payed and have less and less disc revenues because of streaming platforms success.

I heard that Qobuz treat better the musicians, good audio quality and offer also.

Today sample rate is quite variable, if I could choose I will regulate market to 24 bit/48 kHz as it works well on films and audio, this will eliminate speculations with hi-res and is just a little heavier than CD in memory storage
Yeah, I've become a lot wiser since then and really anything above CD quality just isn't really required in my view. There's maybe some who can here a difference, but I bet if tested on such only a small percentage would be able to accurately and reliably tell the difference. I'm thinking I may burn all my CD's to storage at some point, if anything just in case and preserve them. Lol, I'm not a rich man, so I can't speculate on gold or precious minerals, but my theory is a lot of music will be extremely valuable one day when maybe my children's children suddenly want to physically own music and maybe listen to stuff that's possibly been banned in future over various reasons. Lol, hopefully the world will not become the dystopia I think it will, but wether it does or not, music is always the greatest commodity if not for worth but rather enjoyment. It's amazing what can disappear from history. Here in UK fruit machines were extremely popular and we're everywhere for good and bad that that may have been, but these days pretty much all are gone and no records kept besides the emulation scene of which I am part of, we are literally the only source of documenting them all and emulating them to preserve them.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I always found this test interesting and shows that sometimes we get lost in the numbers. There are few who have tried this test and have been able to pick the best quality version on every track. Although, a lot have been able to not pick the lowest quality version. Between a lossless version and a lossy version at a high bit rate is tough to tell for many. Between different lossless formats I think it is more about knowing we have the best than actually being able to hear it. Definitely try it on good headphones or good equipment.

Miguelón

I always found this test interesting and shows that sometimes we get lost in the numbers. There are few who have tried this test and have been able to pick the best quality version on every track. Although, a lot have been able to not pick the lowest quality version. Between a lossless version and a lossy version at a high bit rate is tough to tell for many. Between different lossless formats I think it is more about knowing we have the best than actually being able to hear it. Definitely try it on good headphones or good equipment.

I guessed 4 of 6; not a complete catastrophe but was more difficult that I imagined.

It took me a lot of time on the techno music (Jay Z) because I don’t know at all how should it sounds.

But the Mozart piano concerto, my instrument, less than 3 seconds were enough :)

I think is easier to recognize encoding when one has a lot of experience on the style or how a particular instrument sound on the purely acoustic world, lots of harmonics and mechanical noises…

From the experience I’m totally sure I will not recognize Hi-Res from CD

Thanks for sharing!

Cigibroke

That's actually my main concern when driving speakers from a computer, how easy is to miss an unattenuated volume (100% level). I prefer to have some external volume control, whether a DAC or a preamplifier with attenuation.
Sorry but i couldn't understand this. If volume level is at for example 30% level, should i set to zero every time when i turn on the pc?
Also, how can the 30% volume level become 100% by itself, as in this example?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but i couldn't understand this. If volume level is at for example 30% level, should i set to zero every time when i turn on the pc?
Also, how can the 30% volume level become 100% by itself, as in this example?
Sound volume in computers is regulated by software, and there are a lot of programs that control the de (ouch!) volume, so it's quite easy, in my experience, that some program changes the volume and you don't realize it. Or you simply set the volume at 100% for some application and then play music using another program and discover 100% it's way too loud for that application due to amplification or different sensitivities along the signal path or whatever. When playing audio from a computer, I never use the analog output, always digital at 100% and then attenuate externally. It's just my experience, others may be fine connecting the computer output directly the amp/speakers input. I don't, it's too risky and time consuming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom