• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 362 76.2%

• Total voters

SorenTyson

That's amazing, thanks for the review.

I would pair three of those with an Onkyo rz-50. Since I have to buy cables anyway, are there any benefits in going rca-xlr vs rca-rca?

According to Amir's review of the rz-50, it can output up to about 3.5 volt

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The low price saves it from a few criticisms on IMD and multitone I would have. Very good performance, excellent value imo.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@amirm May I ask why this is your new recommendation? I'm glad you post the gain figure. I'm just curious on that number and why.
This spreadsheet may be useful to you:

To use it, login with your Google account and go to File->Make a Copy.

In that copy, you can change the Amplifier gain and the graph will update automatically.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
It doesn't matter what the sensitivity of the speaker is. The only thing important is whether the max power of the amplifier can be reached given the input voltage you have. As I noted, this amplifier needs 2.8 volts input to do that. Since most DACs have 4 volts output, you are good to go regardless of speaker you use.

How does speaker sensitivity not matter? I don't understand is why the speaker sensitivity would not matter in combination with the amplifier's gain when I have a target SPL. I think I lack an understanding of these relationships.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I used to think of these Fosi and Aiyima chip amps as a useful and economical way to power your surrounds on a budget
That's how I use mine -- it's a very undemanding application that won't benefit from an upgrade. If I was still using passive L+R speakers, I'd be all over a pair of these for that job, but the ambience/surround mission doesn't need more power, more linear FR (DSP fixes that easily), or sky-high SINAD. So, why do I still want one? :rolleyes:

Guddu

How does speaker sensitivity not matter? I don't understand is why the speaker sensitivity would not matter in combination with the amplifier's gain when I have a target SPL. I think I lack an understanding of these relationships.
You aren’t wrong as such, but….
I think the context of the statement was in relation with the gain of the amplifier, speaker sensitivity doesn’t change the gain of the amplifier.
However, lesser the sensitivity of the speaker more it needs amplification power to produce a certain SPL at certain listening position or distance.

dzerig

Wow. I have two Schiit Gjallerhorn in mono so I can use XLR as my main stereo is 30' from the tv, where my favorite speakers sit. I am very happy with those, but if I needed more power than my current 30ish watts, these would be at the top of my list.

You aren’t wrong as such, but….
I think the context of the statement was in relation with the gain of the amplifier, speaker sensitivity doesn’t change the gain of the amplifier.
However, lesser the sensitivity of the speaker more it needs amplification power to produce a certain SPL at certain listening position or distance.
Indeed. Amir quoted THX for amp gain and I used THX headroom recommendation which I think is reasonable. I think the most common scenario for amplifiers is that they run out of current before they run out of voltage. I think this may be what Amir is ultimatly getting at. That and the input can drive the amp to max gain. I understand that. However, there are times when I just need more gain, such as when a movie, for some weird reason, it's largest peak is -10db or some such number that makes everything unnecessarily quiet, all the time, including dialog. This is why I've been gain hunting. Dialog isn't going to draw 250watts. That's not my concern. It's that it's loud enough to be "reference level". There are TV shows that the dialogue is so quiet, that I need subtitles to be turned on. I literally run out of gain knob. This isn't a problem now that I have way more sensitive speakers.

It's my opinion that this amp is probably just good enough for 84db speakers at 2meters for THX volumes. Assuming the damn material isn't artifically quiet.

JW001

Indeed. Amir quoted THX for amp gain and I used THX headroom recommendation which I think is reasonable. I think the most common scenario for amplifiers is that they run out of current before they run out of voltage. I think this may be what Amir is ultimatly getting at. That and the input can drive the amp to max gain. I understand that. However, there are times when I just need more gain, such as when a movie, for some weird reason, it's largest peak is -10db or some such number that makes everything unnecessarily quiet, all the time, including dialog. This is why I've been gain hunting. Dialog isn't going to draw 250watts. That's not my concern. It's that it's loud enough to be "reference level". There are TV shows that the dialogue is so quiet, that I need subtitles to be turned on. I literally run out of gain knob. This isn't a problem now that I have way more sensitive speakers.

It's my opinion that this amp is probably just good enough for 84db speakers at 2meters for THX volumes. Assuming the damn material isn't artifically quiet.
Amir was referring to the voltage gain. Every amplifier has a parameter called input sensitivity specifying the input rms level at which the output reaches a maximum voltage (and power, for a given load). Above that level the amp will start clipping or may go into protection mode.

Ze Frog

Well, that's just gone on my list of possibilities now. Very impressive.

Big brand companies must be in sheer panic regarding relatively new companies providing such quality for such a price. Great stuff.

Abstracted

That's amazing, thanks for the review.

I would pair three of those with an Onkyo rz-50. Since I have to buy cables anyway, are there any benefits in going rca-xlr vs rca-rca?

According to Amir's review of the rz-50, it can output up to about 3.5 volt

Ha! I'm planning on using a couple of these for my RZ50 as well :D

Guddu

Could you please let us know the link?

look for:

1712026328272.png

Top Bottom