• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

ChrisCables

Audio Company
I think it would be interesting to see a review of 15 of the same headphones to get a feel for how extreme unit variance is.
I'd also find that quite interesting.

For sh!ts n giggles I did something 'quite' similar a while ago with my collection of 'Made in Ireland' era Sennheiser HD*** sets.
I built the cables so that signal transfer would be identical as well as investing in a Tascam MH-8 multi-channel headphone amp specifically for the test.
The experiment consisted of 4 of the lower range models as well as 2 pairs of HD600's and 2 pairs of HD650's. One of the HD600/650 is a proper, umnmolested, unfkrdaroundwith pair while the corresponding pair had HD600 and HD650 drivers mounted in a HD565 chassis.

So the line-up as HD525, HD535, HD545, HD565, HD600, HD600(565), HD650, HD650(565).
I also have a HD265 which is a closed-back headphone with a totally different SS so I didn't include it.

I don't have the equipment to perform measurements and the listening comparisons were purely subjective but there were some surprising differences noticed. I made notes during the test...and then subsequently lost those notes after I packed everything away again. drrrrp.
But essentially it wasn't as straightforward as 'sound gets better the higher up the model chain you go'. The set I was surprised most by was the humble HD565. This is the model that will remain my absolute favourite, even before the HD600 and HD650!
Shock horror! lol

I now have 7 sets of refurbished HD565's and the next test will be to line them all up to test them. It's just a shame I have no way to determine when during the production run they were made. The chassis components are all identical, there are very slight variations in the colour of the plastics and the size and placement of the graphics but the only thing that really distinguishes them are numbers on the driver capsules which have absolutely no reference that I can find anywhere unfortunately.

senn 1.png
senn 2.png
senn 3.png
senn 4.png
senn 5.png
senn 6.png

HD650(565), HD600(565), HD650, HD600
senn 7.png

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Moondrop Joker

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly for (not just me) the classical earbuds are of low interest of both audio community and market.
Still I think it would be nice to fill this gap here with at least a few models to see how they compare.

QianYun Qian69 / ~17 Euros @Ali
- top ranked at audiobudget.com
QianYunQian69WiredEarbudsinindia04.jpg

Yincrow X6 / ~ 7 Euro @Ali ("black no mic" version)
- one of the cheapest high-graders (and still available) from "RikudouGoku's Database spreadsheet" :) [HeadFi.org member]
(he also praises QianYun Qian39 which are probably Qian69 predecessors)
Newest-YINCROW-font-b-X6-b-font-In-ear-Earphone-3-5mm-Flat-Head-Bio-cellulose.jpg

Anyone else interested in this already "obscure product category"? :)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes please
here's a preview of sorts:
ndh30.jpg

somewhat Harman compliant with slight recession in the clarity range (1-3kHz) and no elevated treble.
The 4k emphasis is a bit alarming. Fortunately there is a dip on both sides of that peak which will kind of mask that elevated area a little.

and there is this:

When an owner sends it in I am sure Amir will measure it.

Last edited:

Mr Swing King

Audeze MM-500 (the long awaited HD600 with subbass?)
Audeze MM-100
Moondrop Para
Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X
…and perhaps just for sh*ts n giggles T+A Solitaire P as well as anything made by Kennerton.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like a review of the Sennheiser HE-1's. Think it would be fascinating to see how exactly they measure.
Yes, it would be quite fascinating, and it would be a very high stake headphone review, not that Amir would do it any differently to his normal reviews, I'd have faith in that. But, for now if you want to see a measurement then Oratory has already measured it:
Interestingly he puts a little note at the bottom of that pdf saying "But honestly, this headphone sounds great without EQ already." I don't think I recall ever seeing such a remark on any of his other pdf's, so it looks like it has maximum respect from Oratory at least!

Top Bottom