• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions about HiFiman Deva Pro.

LegionOfHell

I am looking at the Deva pro and I have some questions:

- I own the old HE400, Would you consider Deva Pro to be an upgrade to the old HE400 ?

- Does Deva Pro use stealth magnets ? what are the benefits of stealth magnets ? What other headphones use stealth magnets ?

- Some Hifiman drivers are one sided and some are double sided, which one is better ? and does Deva Pro use one sided or double sided drivers ?

- Is Deva Pro identical to HE5xx other than the headband ? Do both headphones use the same earpads ?

- How is the sound signature of Deva Pro compared to Sundara ?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had almost the whole lineup. The Deva pro sounds like a warmer He5xx, they look alike but the devs is softer/smoother sound. I prefer the he5xx since it's more fun with enough treble but not harsh. The best before prices go way up on the Arya Stealth, which I think is their best model, is the Ananda stealth. Recertified on Hifimans Web site can be gotten for $349. I'm currently waiting 1-2 weeks since they're backorder.
If the budget doesn't allow, the He5xx is the value for money winner. Even an Apple 3.5mm adapter can drive one within limits, not going to be much headroom to EQ though. Beware buying used, always use a phone decibel meter app and online test tone generator to sweep frequencies on left and then right for channel balance. I've bought several used I had to return because of that. If you get a good pair, they're wonderful headphones for the price.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

I wanna buy an open box deva pro from hifiman store...I have heard they test the openboxed headphones ?

Dazerdoreal

The 5xx and the non-pro Deva is most likely technically the same headphone besides looks. Unit variation is just quite high (I can confirm that from personal experience),
so it is absolutely possible that in your case the 5xx was better.

But on average, the 5xx seems most likely a bad choice to me. You dont have the Stealth Magnets and you dont have a bluetooth module.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

How does the original Deva compare to Deva Pro ?

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

One more question, For Deva Pro Wireless, Are the DAC/AMP electronic components and the battery inside the headphone's ear cups ? or are they inside the Bluemini R2R ?

How about HE-R9 ? Are the DAC/AMP electronic components and the battery inside the headphone's ear cups ? or are they inside the Bluemini R2R ?

The ear cups for both headphones only have the drivers in them ? like an ordinary wired headphone ?

Last edited:

Dazerdoreal

How does the original Deva compare to Deva Pro ?
Pro is better (on average), as you would expect.
I attached a frequency response graph of both, unsmoothed. You can see that the Deva Pro is smoother in its peaks and dips as the normal Deva.

Its bluetooth module (R2R) is also better, you lose less bass extension by using it. (In theory, you could use the new module with the old Deva for the same effect.)

That said, I would not expect that it sounds better than the headphones you already own. Its main feature is the bluetooth module.

I own a Deva Pro and I had to put a lot of work into EQing it (the "normal" Deva was the same or worse in this aspect, I exchanged it to a Pro after a few weeks). The graphs did not help me much because my ears perceived it differently. Even now there is still a slight wonkyness in tonality. I like the comfort and the soundstage though.

One more question, For Deva Pro Wireless, Are the DAC/AMP electronic components and the battery inside the headphone's ear cups ? or are they inside the Bluemini R2R
It is in the Bluemini. As far as I know it is always the same bluemini across HE-R9 etc.
The only exception is the first Deva, which did not have the R2R bluemini yet, but an older version.
You still could not attach it to non-compatible devices.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto_2023-10-02_19-14-27.png
    Bildschirmfoto_2023-10-02_19-14-27.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 223
OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

It is in the Bluemini.
The ear cups for both headphones(Deva Pro & R9) only have the drivers in them ? like an ordinary wired headphone ?

Also, I am looking to buy the wired versions of Deva Pro & R9, or Should I buy a Sundara ?

Dazerdoreal

The ear cups for both headphones(Deva Pro & R9) only have the drivers in them ? like an ordinary wired headphone ?

Also, I am looking to buy the wired versions of Deva Pro & R9, or Should I buy a Sundara ?
To my knowledge the wired and the non-wired Deva Pro are technically 100% identical, the wired version just does not contain the dongle.

That said, I would not buy a wired Deva Pro. It is likely not worth the price if you dont use the dongle.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

What are the specs of Bluemini R2R ? the power ratings ? bit-depth and sample rate through the USB port for PC use ?

Dazerdoreal

What are the specs of Bluemini R2R ? the power ratings ? bit-depth and sample rate through the USB port for PC use ?
You can find most bluemini RSR specs in this review (use the right arrow to switch to the bluemini):

(But please dont ask questions which you could also answer by doing a quick google search.)

The bluemini is not a particularly good DAC. If you use the Deva Pro in cabled mode you should use a different amplifier imo.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

I already own the very old HE-400 (SMC connectors/plugs), Should I go with Deva pro or HE400se ?

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

(But please dont ask questions which you could also answer by doing a quick google search.)

More questions that I can not find the answer to them by googling: (please note that I am referring to the Bluemini R2R version)

- The link you pasted doesn't say anything about the power ratings at different impedances.

- If the battery is removed from the Bluemini R2R DAC, Can you still use the unit as a PC USB DAC/AMP ? Without the batteries, and when powered through the USB, Will the power ratings change ? or will it have equal power ratings to when the unit is working wirelessly with a fully charged battery ?

- What is the max bit-depth and sample rate through the USB for PC use ?

- What is the max bit-depth and sample rate wirelessly ?

Last edited:

Dazerdoreal

More questions that I can not find the answer to them by googling: (please note that I am referring to the Bluemini R2R version)

- The link you pasted doesn't say anything about the power ratings at different impedances.

- If the battery is removed from the Bluemini R2R DAC, Can you still use the unit as a PC USB DAC/AMP ? Without the batteries, and when powered through the USB, Will the power ratings change ? or will it have equal power ratings to when the unit is working wirelessly with a fully charged battery ?

- What is the max bit-depth and sample rate through the USB for PC use ?

- What is the max bit-depth and sample rate wirelessly ?
- The Deva Pro has an impedance of 18 Ohm and a sensitivity of ~93,5 db.
The Bluemini R2R dongle delivers about 230mw. I think they mean @18 Ohm, otherwise this would not make sense to me.
From personal use I can say it can drive the Deva Pro pretty loudly.

This website has more Deva Pro & Bluemini R2R measurements but it is offline at the moment:

- "If the battery is removed from the Bluemini R2R DAC, Can you still use the unit as a PC USB DAC/AMP ? Without the batteries, and when powered through the USB, Will the power ratings change ? or will it have equal power ratings to when the unit is working wirelessly with a fully charged battery?"
I dont know tbh.

- The maximum USB sample rate is 192kHz (https://moonstarreviews.net/hifiman-deva-pro-review/).
But on wireless the sample rate is also limited by your audio codec (https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/bluetooth-audio-codecs-explained/).
The Bluemini R2R supports LDAC so 96khz should be possible.

In general, dont overestimate the DAC capabilities of the Bluemini R2R. In my opinion it is a good concept for a bluetooth module, but it is not a particularly good DAC.
And: Bluetooth is always slightly lossy. (https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/)

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

- The Deva Pro has an impedance of 18 Ohm and a sensitivity of ~93,5 db.
The Bluemini R2R dongle delivers about 230mw. I think they mean @18 Ohm, otherwise this would not make sense to me.
From personal use I can say it can drive the Deva Pro pretty loudly.
By power rating I mean how many watts into 32ohm 50ohm 150ohm 300ohm and 600ohm.

Top Bottom