• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paul McGowan on connecting up subs - BS?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you elaborate?

Sure :)

Firstly, any decent amplifier doesn’t have a “sound signature”.

Secondly, if your amp does have a sound signature, that’s a flaw that you may as well not shackle your sub amp with.

And thirdly, if your sub amp happens to have a sound signature, that will unnecessarily be passed on to your speakers.

Last edited:

DKT88

Secondly, if your amp does have a sound signature, that’s a flaw that you may as well not shackle your sub amp with.

And thirdly, if your sub amp happens to have a sound signature, that will unnecessarily be passed on to your speakers.

With respect, not all experts agree that a high pass on the mains the best approach. I don't have line level sub out available and I have a couple subs that are connected to the high level outputs on my amp. I have the subs low pass set at the -6db point on the mains (stand mounted) and the integration sounds good and some preliminary REW measurements are encouraging. I will try the same set up with my floor standing speakers at some point.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With respect, not all experts agree that a high pass on the mains the best approach.

That’s true. I didn’t claim to speak for everyone and can only give my opinion!

I’m happy to explain my views on this further if you’d like, but in summary, although not high-pass filtering the mains may give acceptable results in some cases, the arguments for high-pass filtering are very persuasive IMO.

DKT88

That’s true. I didn’t claim to speak for everyone and can only give my opinion!

I’m happy to explain my views on this further if you’d like, but in summary, although not high-pass filtering the mains may give acceptable results in some cases, the arguments for high-pass filtering are very persuasive IMO.
I've got a pair of B&W 10 inch subs that only have low pass and Spendor 2 ways. I'm using a Nord Hypex amp and the source is a DAC/PC
with a physical volume control. Could you suggest a way to high-pass the Spendors?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Indeed. Why on earth would you want the "sound quality signature" of the power amp? It shouldnt have one !

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a pair of B&W 10 inch subs that only have low pass and Spendor 2 ways. I'm using a Nord Hypex amp and the source is a DAC with a physical volume control. Could you suggest a way to high-pass the Spendors?

I don’t think it would be possible without adding an additional piece of gear (a DSP or preamp with crossover filters for example).

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I've got a pair of B&W 10 inch subs that only have low pass and Spendor 2 ways. I'm using a Nord Hypex amp and the source is a DAC with a physical volume control. Could you suggest a way to high-pass the Spendors?
You need some DSP up front. There are many ways to do this such as Mini dsp units.

DKT88

I've been trying to figure out the best way to implement room correction. I've been thinking about buying a miniDSP HD and looking at ways to do it in software. I've played with some EQ in Roon. I haven't done a full set of room measurements with REW yet. But upstream of the amp I don't see a way to high pass the mains.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been trying to figure out the best way to implement room correction. I've been thinking about buying a miniDSP HD and looking at ways to do it in software. I've played with some EQ in Roon. I haven't done a full set of room measurements with REW yet. But upstream of the amp I don't see a way to high pass the mains.

Can you post a link to the subs? If they are active, it should be possible to make it all work.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DKT88

If you have a DAC with more than 2 channels you can do it in roon, if that's your only source.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/is-2-1-audio-possible-with-roon/47028/4?u=john

My DAC (Aune X8) has a line out and a pre out. I don't have any volume control on the PC when I'm using ASIO or WASPI exclusive, at least that I'm aware of. I bought the Aune for the physical volume control because I use the system with VLC sometimes and I've about blown the speakers with accidental high volume.

DKT88

Ok I see Roon has a Device Control for volume, I've been using Fixed Volume setting.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. Why on earth would you want the "sound quality signature" of the power amp? It shouldnt have one !

Well...maybe if you like the sound signature?

(I'm fond of the sound signature of some classic tube amps myself).

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...maybe if you like the sound signature?

(I'm fond of the sound signature of some classic tube amps myself).
Yeah, that’s the basic appeal of REL subs. However, the speaker amp ain’t powering the sub, the sub’s own amp is, so you won’t get the sound signature of your speaker amp in the first place, all you’ll get is more distortion.

Ideally, with 2+ subs, you always would want to high-pass the mains, or else you’d get a lot of phase cancelations below the sub’s crossover frequency, especially for ported speakers.

Top Bottom