• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a speaker more useful for me than the D&D 8C?

MKR

Major Contributor
Your comment is interesting and I ponder if the chemistry is subjective or objective.
Subjective of course, and that is OK, let’s not throw baby out with bath water. There is room for some level of subjectivity in this hobby, there has to be. We are humans not robots.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
There has to be some kind of hidden element about the Genelecs that is not immediately obvious in the usual ASR measurements - given the comments it's probably some kind of IM and a wonky port.

MKR

Major Contributor
There has to be some kind of hidden element about the Genelecs that is not immediately obvious in the usual ASR measurements - given the comments it's probably some kind of IM and a wonky port.
Interesting thought, you may be correct

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which comments do you refer to?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I really wanted to like them given so many folks here on ASR love them.

Do so many folks here on ASR love them, or do they recommend them based on measurements they've seen?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I owned the older 8260’s their previous top of the line and I have had here the 8351Bs and recently listened to the 8361/w371 combination I haven’t heard anything untoward.
I think you have to be careful with listening distances, out of the box their target curve is more ‘horizontal’ so they could sound a little thin or more resolving depending upon your predilection .
Keith

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
could you share the difference between the dutch and 420?
Well, when I actually get the chance to hear the 420s in person, I'll let you know. But my guess is they're going to be more similar than different...

The big difference I expect is the 420s to be substantially cleaner. The 8Cs I could get the mid driver to complain without pushing it that hard - it's not a driver that seems particularly well optimized for the open-baffle-like loading where the cardioid slots work the hardest. To be clear, the vast majority wouldn't notice the distortion; I'm just familiar with what that sounds like.

MKR

Major Contributor
Well, when I actually get the chance to hear the 420s in person, I'll let you know. But my guess is they're going to be more similar than different...

The big difference I expect is the 420s to be substantially cleaner. The 8Cs I could get the mid driver to complain without pushing it that hard - it's not a driver that seems particularly well optimized for the open-baffle-like loading where the cardioid slots work the hardest. To be clear, the vast majority wouldn't notice the distortion; I'm just familiar with what that sounds like.
How loud were you playing the 8Cs?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Well if the 8Cs are distorting then so are the Kiis, Grimm LS1s, Kiis, Sigberg Audio Mantas, Mesanovic RTM 10s and Genrlec 8351A’s those are some of the speakers I have spent hours comparing here.
Haven’t tried Neumann I must at some point.
Keith

goat76

Major Contributor
Well if the 8Cs are distorting then so are the Kiis, Grimm LS1s, Kiis, Sigberg Audio Mantas, Mesanovic RTM 10s and Genrlec 8351A’s those are some of the speakers I have spent hours comparing here.
Keith

Dutch%20%26%20Dutch%208c%20----%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%28relative%29%20%40%2096dB1m.png

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The question is always one of audibility, the ragged off-axis off the ATCs is immediately obvious when compared to a really transparent design, my process here for the last fifteen years or so has been to try and hear and compare everything here in my rooms and then try to draw some correlation between the sound of the loudspeakers and their measurements ( if they are available).
) I have found the more identical the on and off axis the more transparent the loudspeaker sounds, a speaker with a cardioid response not only measures more tidily but is clearer.
I could never really see the point of representing ‘second-best’ and that has led to a relatively small selection of designs which I use as my reference.
There is an interesting thread where this topic ( controlled directivity in low/mid bass) is being discussed at this very moment.

Keith

Last edited:
OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Keith
Like I said: the vast majority of people will not notice. I just know what it sounds like because the KH310s do the same exact thing when pushed beyond where they want to be, but before they really start breaking up. They get a little boxy, and on certain songs I can pick it out. And no, the majority of the speakers I've tested thus far didn't.

How loud were you playing the 8Cs?
Not particularly loud, but this song I find to be pretty punishing for speakers once you push it a bit.

Top Bottom