• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure? :)
(I didn't mean to make such a big deal out of it)
Pretty well sure.
I have rarely seen anything recently leading me to believe most enthusiasts have got it, except here, and even here some people seem to be determined to fail to accept fact.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think most people who "don't like bass" have only heard bad bass because of one of these two problems, probably both:
1. Poor bass from speakers or subwoofers with a lot of distortion or too high Q.
2. Bad room with too many resonances making the bass sound just like the same uncontrolled note.
I don’t know, in the world of car audio a bass system wildly overblown which resonates at one frequency like somebody kicking a box in the back of the car seems to be de-rigeur, and cars without it are heavily critiscised…

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You forgot Organs at some venues, the can go to 16Hz.
But in a domestic audio setup, well . . .
BTW, Audiophiles insist on 20Hz or less, they EQ the hell out of their system to get it ;)
32-foot stops can play 16 Hz at the fundamental, though it depends on the stop design as to how much fundamental. An open diapason's fundamental is strong compared to the harmonics, but some testing shows that even removing the fundamental doesn't change the perception of the sound. By strong I mean 10-20 dB stronger than the next highest harmonic, not necessarily stronger than the sum of the upper harmonics. A closed 32-foot diapason (which is more like a flute) would only be audible in the harmonics, but I doubt there are many of those (just as there are only two organs with 64-foot pipes, and those absolutely depend on the harmonics to be heard at all). The amount of air that would be needed to make it felt would unmanageable, though it can certainly be simulated with electronics. As with a tuba, we overestimate the importance of the nominal fundamental frequency in producing the characteristic sound. But see my note below about acoustic performance requiring the effects of the space in which it is performed to sound natural and desirable.

For example, there is one well-known modernist tuba solo work that includes a 16-Hz "pitch." This is the double-pedal of a contrabass tuba in C (which is the standard orchestral tuba in American orchestras). It cannot be produced using a buzz by anyone I've ever heard, and most performers simulate it with flutter-tonguing. There's no way that includes even the slightest measurable fundamental, given that it's a series of thumps at 16 Hz, and not a continuous oscillating vibration.

I have two standard tests for low-frequency response. One is the bass drum hit in the opening of the third movement of Gustave Holst's First Suite for Military Band, as performed by the Cleveland Symphonic Winds on a Telarc recording made in the late 70's. I have it on vinyl and later bought it on CD to get the full effect of that one drum strike. Telarc was showing off with the way they recorded the bass drum, particularly when they reissued it on CD by my recollection, and it had a reputation for damaging speakers. In my case, it was the recording that first shredded the rotted foam surround on my Advent NLA's, at least the first time that happened maybe ten years after I bought them (I've replaced the surrounds several times on those speakers).

The other is also an old recording from the 70's--the Merlin the Magician track from Rick Wakeman's King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The Moog solos (there are two) go low. I'm not sure quite how low, but lower and louder than most acoustic instruments that sustain recognizable tone and pitch.

I own several dozen recordings of tuba performance, and none of them test the bass response of a system as much as those two recordings, and certainly not the recordings of the Kraft Encounters II that includes that 16-Hz double-pedal.
One of my favorite pieces is the Koyaanisqatsi suite by Philip Glass, that is partially used in the experimental movie with the same name by Godfrey Reggio. The movie is released in 1982, but the music was composed more than a decade before. You need the 1998 release to get the full suite (the 1982 release only had the parts used in the movie).

The most known is maybe Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, others are César Franck's Chorale No. 3, Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 by Camille Saint-Saëns, Symphony No. 5 by Sergei Prokofiev, Symphony 11 by Dmitri Shostakovich, a lot of Mahler symphonies, ...

But to hear them right, you need a speaker set that can go low enough, and where the sub is aligned (physically or electronically) with the main speakers and off course the right room and/or room correction eq. And the whole system needs to go loud enough to get that low sub. My system is just enough for a small room, but i also heared it on big systems (Neumann KH420 with 4x KH870 subs) in big rooms. It won't be like hearing it live, but it will give you a right impression of what live is.
Prokofiev 5th? Where? Zarathustra starts with a 32-foot diapason organ stop drone that most people, even when performed live with a large organ, hear only as its harmonics. But the lowest note in the Prok 5 that I recall is the low E in the tuba at the start of the slow movement, barely over an octave below the bass clef. Even I can play that. The Prok 7 has a low C#, and Holst's Planets goes down about that far. Other examples down to the bottom of the 1.5 octaves below the bass clef are not that uncommon. Some band works, including a Percy Grainger piece that I just performed (Children's March), has pedal Bb (~28 Hz), which you won't hear unless the band's tuba player on the low part has professional training. (I don't, but I was playing the upper part, thank God). There is very little fundamental in the sound of the pedal range of a tuba, no matter what tuba players think. The contrabassoon goes about down to a nominal 28 Hz with a good player, but with even less contribution from the fundamental. Low F the octave below the bass clef is within the reliable range of most amateurs, though if you want it loud, don't expect it to have a lot of fundamental in the spectra.

But Koyaanisqatsi is in a class by itself for the demand it makes on the two tuba players. Warren Deck and Sam Pilafian (RIP) played on the original recording, and that level of world-class performer is what that music demands. Still, it didn't go below the 28-Hz pedal Bb and, still, the sound is dominated by overtones.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I helped a buddy set up his new 7.2 system that uses a large (and expensive) Marantz DVR and all Revel speakers, including the subs. (Performa-class Revels, and the subs have 12" drivers and kilowatt amps.) After we balanced the system using Audessey (however that is spelled), it didn't play that Wakeman Moog solo noticeably more impressively than my system at home with Revel F12's (no subs) and a large amp. That material was made for vinyl LP's so it probably didn't go below about 30 Hz. Those subs are capable of much lower, but the music we listened to doesn't ask for it. (I didn't have my REW stuff with me, so I couldn't check the subs for how well they cancelled room modes. But the system and room sounded very good.)

But there is one question only hinted at so far, and that is: How much of the performance space's room resonances do we want to hear in orchestral performance? Sometimes, that low rumble is what contributes to the characteristic sound of a concert hall, and it's good when a recording captures that ambience in addition to what the instruments produce. Yes, sometimes what contributes to the rumble is the air handlers and the outside traffic, but in my house at least, the air handler hums along at 120 Hz. I like rock music that is recorded dry to maintain good clarity, but classical composers didn't write their works for outdoor performances.

I've heard systems with big subwoofers set up the way Sean Olive's inexperienced test subjects seem to prefer (referring to the graph upthread), and for me those systems sound boomy and unnatural. My reference is live performance. I want accurate bass, but I'm not one to start cheering when it is emphasized unnaturally.

Rick "much ado about nothing" Denney

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think most people who "don't like bass" have only heard bad bass because of one of these two problems, probably both:
1. Poor bass from speakers or subwoofers with a lot of distortion or too high Q.
2. Bad room with too many resonances making the bass sound just like the same uncontrolled note.

Not quite so.

Every day, I listen to equipment that has a pristinely clean spec sheet. Headphones that support 5Hz to 40kHz (Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro) fed through a JDS Labs Atom 3, which supports 20Hz to 20kHz with a +/-0.11dB linearity and less than 0.0004% THD. I do not care which amp and speakers people in here have, their measurements will most likely never ever remotely approach that even with the most magical room correction.

So I have a *daily* reference as to what a truly linear response with *full* bass extension is, equipment wise, thank you very much. One that I can also compare to my main listening system. Anyone that claims I don't appreciate a heapful of extra bass because I don't have a reference must thus have been dropped off a second floor balcony as a baby. :-D

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The moonrocks that I smoke almost make me faint when I get a really good hoot!

Owl Wink Sleepy.jpg

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The moonrocks that I smoke almost make me faint when I get a really good hoot!
I can whole-heartedly recommend this::

As it happens, I am (responsibly) enjoying some while working from home, brain-storming and listening to a background of chill 70s smooth jazz.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Every day, I listen to equipment that has a pristinely clean spec sheet. Headphones that support 5Hz to 40kHz (Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro) fed through a JSD Labs Atom 3, which supports 20Hz to 20kHz with a +/-0.11dB linearity and less that 0.0004% THD. I do not care which amp and speakers people in here have, their measurements will never ever remotely approach that even with the most magical room correction.
I've reached a similar conclusion. My Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition headphones, a true classic of high-fidelity audio, coupled with my Topping headphone amplifier, represent the epitome of linearity in my listening setup. They excel at allowing me to discern the subtle nuances in recordings and to better understand the acoustic characteristics of my listening environment when I switch to speakers.

With the Topping headphone amplifier's remarkable specs, boasting a minuscule 0.00006% THD+N, an astounding 144dB dynamic range, and less than 0.1µVrms of noise, the combination truly unveils the true essence of the audio source.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can whole-heartedly recommend this::

As it happens, I am (responsibly) enjoying some while working from home, brain-storming and listening to a background of chill 70s smooth jazz.
That sounds very appetizing. I purchased a 85%THC vape pen and it was very bitter and harsh. Your suggestion apparently has a nice flavor and I'm going to try and get some to test drive it. :D

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t know, in the world of car audio a bass system wildly overblown which resonates at one frequency like somebody kicking a box in the back of the car seems to be de-rigeur, and cars without it are heavily critiscised…

Invoking a demographic that loves bass to challenge a statement about people who claim to NOT like bass is a non sequitur, is it not?

My apologies if you were aiming for satire or sarcasm...

Edit: Just reread your post and maybe you're saying car audio contributes to some people 'not liking bass' as well? If that was the intent, I agree!

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Invoking a demographic that loves bass to challenge a statement about people who claim to NOT like bass is a non sequitur, is it not?

My apologies if you were aiming for satire or sarcasm...

I'll stop replying to the topic -but pardon if I do again- because I think the argument has become a bit surreal, as audio discussions tend to become towards the end.

When I say I don't see a lot of benefit for bass down to 16-20Hz given the music I listen to and my listening preferences, in NO WAY does that imply "I don't like bass". :) As mentioned in a recent message, I do have a daily setup that lets me hear pretty much everything with full linearity over the entire 20Hz to 20kHz (and beyond, the specs say) the exact way it was recorded and mixed. Which in turns tunes my ear so I can establish what I like in my main 2:1 system (and note there wouldn't be a ".1" there if I didn't like bass, again :-D).

I am *not* saying those that insist one must have delivery down to 16Hz to have a true audiophile system have a juvenile preference for artificially boosted, booming bass, either. My point was and remains that for my own purposes, I don't think cutting off stuff at 25-30Hz hurts music that much at all, at least not the music I tend to listen to. The discussion actually seems to just come up with a few corner cases of recordings where the stuff is present, and beyond that, whether it is necessary for personal enjoyment, hey, that's up to individual preference.

olieb

My Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition headphones, a true classic of high-fidelity audio, coupled with my Topping headphone amplifier, represent the epitome of linearity in my listening setup.
I would consider neither the DT880 nor the DT990 to be anything near to "linear“ in the bass. Both have considerable distortion in bass on the other side. They are still decent headphones in particular with some EQ as is a good idea for most headphones.

Andysu

Major Contributor
There are a lot of variables to the subject of this thread. Very tricky...

If you have massive towers, with at the very least 8inch woofers, then yes, the debate of subwoofer or no subwoofer can get quite intricate.
But...
We live in a world where most HiFi (and even a lot of pro audio) is dominated by 6.5inch woofers, and no matter how brilliant the design of these speaker is, there is a ton of information (sound) lost without a subwoofer.

Surely we have to also differentiate between critical and casual listening.
Personally, I don't need anything more than the iMac speakers for satisfying casual listening. And if you got yourself a nice desktop setup, bass extension quickly becomes a niche within a niche.
But for critical listening...

I do find it curious how the lower frequencies are so easily dismissed.
For example, in this forum, a speaker with a boosted or recessed treble, or with any dips in its frequency response is likely bound to be berated, or at least criticized and dismissed.
However, our ears find it way easier to distinguish the difference between 30Hz and 31Hz, than 10Khz and 10.1KHz, yet everything between 20-60Hz is shrugged off and deemed as good enough.

So if the genre that you listen to, or your favorite composer, doesn't really go below 50 Hertz, as if often said: first of all, are you sure? And second, when you come across an album/song that tries to do something in the lower frequencies, you will miss it right? How do you know you haven't already missed it?

Nevertheless, I approach the subject as a matter of personal taste, as I think ultimately the root cause lies on the HiFi industry, as only AVRs (with only a few exceptions) make subwoofer integration a relatively straightforward affair.
Step outside the AVR world and subwoofer integration quickly becomes an annoying pain. It shouldn't be. At least not in 2023.
While we are drifting away from.the original topic of how important 20Hz bass is, on the other hand I find our patterns in listening to music far more interesting than the technicalities of it.

I often scroll through my large library (over 5k albums and 70k tracks) and am shocked by some of the epochal stuff I have there... and think about deleting it, but then again it is a soundtrack of my life and its high and lows...

I hope I never hear Living La Vida Loca or Macarena or Lambada or Girl You Know It's True or anything by Modern Talking... but then again just scrolling through it in my library can bring back memories that make me smile (even without 20Hz extension ).
:-D

i just Eq the sine do what ever i feel pleased at or just , not in present mood for sine and lows down to 0.1Hz or what ever , maybe in few , no hours i maybe in the mood , petting my cat at present
eq.jpg

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll stop replying to the topic -but pardon if I do again- because I think the argument has become a bit surreal, as audio discussions tend to become towards the end.

When I say I don't see a lot of benefit for bass down to 16-20Hz given the music I listen to and my listening preferences, in NO WAY does that imply "I don't like bass". :) As mentioned in a recent message, I do have a daily setup that lets me hear pretty much everything with full linearity over the entire 20Hz to 20kHz (and beyond, the specs say) the exact way it was recorded and mixed. Which in turns tunes my ear so I can establish what I like in my main 2:1 system (and note there wouldn't be a ".1" there if I didn't like bass, again :-D).

I am *not* saying those that insist one must have delivery down to 16Hz to have a true audiophile system have a juvenile preference for artificially boosted, booming bass, either. My point was and remains that for my own purposes, I don't think cutting off stuff at 25-30Hz hurts music that much at all, at least not the music I tend to listen to. The discussion actually seems to just come up with a few corner cases of recordings where the stuff is present, and beyond that, whether it is necessary for personal enjoyment, hey, that's up to individual preference.

You're good my friend.

I haven't taken any of your comments to be judgmental of others, or to imply you don't like bass. You have a preference that seems well informed based on your listening experiences, that preference is perfectly valid, and I have nothing but respect for your point of view. Further, I think it's a balanced and important perspective for others to hear.

Stepping away from the theoretical discussion, I suspect our personal preferences are probably not too misaligned, in that I also don't like overblown bass.

Edit:

P. S. I apologize if I came across as though I was criticizing your perspective; as that was never the intent

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not quite buying it, sorry. Lowest note in classical orchestra is said to be 27.5Hz (and that is in theory, I doubt you'd find it in any composition). Lowest credible one I have (really) experienced is supposed to be Aaaron Copland ("Fanfare to the Common Man") that originally calls for a truck sized drum that goes down to 30Hz. Needless to say, I bet it is seldom played to that degree of authenticity. Contrabassoon goes down a bit under 30Hz, in theory, but again, I'd like one single example of it being used in a composition. Just because something *can* doesn't mean it always must.

Sure, churchy organ stuff in less than 20 places around the world goes lower, but whether that adds or actively detracts from music is debatable - for one, it is known low frequencies often cause stress and anxiety. Personally, I am not into creepy organ music... :)

I wouldn't call Poulenc and Strauss 'churchy organ stuff' , or particularly creepy. Pretty standard rep, actually (for venues that have an organ).

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I'm also going to click 'unwatch' on this thread. For me, this whole matter isn't too intricate. In fact, I've been able to enjoy music at a relatively high quality since my earliest youth without the need to tinker with equipment as much as I have. Most ordinary folks wouldn't even understand how one can be such an audio enthusiast. Goodbye and take care!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I shouldn't read too much into the posts of the weed-smoking enthusiasts!

Top Bottom