• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

evalrat

I agree things are tricky.

But I submit full range towers are way more difficult to integrate into the vast majority of environments unless you have a palatial, dedicated, large room.

My expensive, beloved towers were downright horrible when I downsized my environment. Had zero to do with how low they reached, had everything to do with the fact they were hard.to control and created an undefined and convoluted picture... and sure, I could have helped them out with corrections and taking.bass away from them... but then what would be the point?
That is more or less what I mean. A good 30-40 Hz plus is vastly preferable to untidy very lows. I really don't think ever having missed anything below 30Hz on recorded music or even below 40 Hz. Digital music of course has no lower limits and present day recordings contain vastly more bass then those from the age of vinyl so your need to be able to deliver lots of bass without straining. As for a balanced low frequency range one might listen to Mistki's Crack Baby.

If all the bass notes sound more or less equally loud at a reasonable sound level one can enjoy a good bass response. But of course there's no sound below 30Hz here.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Don't know you'll get an exact number here. Our threshold for 0 phons is about 72 db SPL at 20 hz, 60 db SPL at 30 hz, and 50 db SPL at 40 hz.

For music, there is very little to be gained below 40 hz. But for instance 80 hz the threshold is 30 db SPL. So 2nd harmonic distortion of 10% would be heard about as well as the 40 hz fundamental.
The low B on a 5 string bass is 31hz. There's 5 notes with fundamentals below the E at 41hz. So any 4 string bass with drop tuning ( most grunge) will be effected.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Ist not even 20 - 20kHz, because here the listeners age comes into play. A person in his mid 40's might be able to hear a (statistical) max. of around 13 kHz (?). TThere is even a formular to calculate the (statisticla relevant) upper limit of ones hearing. Thus the upper octave is not available - more or less - by everyone. I usually smile, when people proclaim, that a speaker, amp or even cable is not producing 20 kHz straight (and flat) as a ruler, because this might be for many just a theoretical thing...
Most measuring mikes have problems recording straight up to 20 kHz (room acoustics not even considered), whilst recording the lowest octave with minimal deviation is not hindered by this :)
Bruel and Kjaer make mics that are flat (+/_ 2db) from 6hz to 140khz.

F1308

Major Contributor

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So is this making the point that the 20Hz fundamental is irrelevant, since the harmonics are what matter?
For piano, voice and most other instruments, yes. A pipe organ puts out sine waves (very low amplitude harmonics). There are also impulse sounds like taiko drums, kick drums, electronica bass drum synths that have appreciable energy below 25 Hz.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that flat in-room to 16Hz should be sufficient for music. Subs help even out the bass, deal with SBIR, and are not expensive compared to top full range speakers, so why not go for 16Hz ?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
For piano, voice and most other instruments, yes. A pipe organ puts out sine waves (very low amplitude harmonics). There are also impulse sounds like taiko drums, kick drums, electronica bass drum synths that have appreciable energy below 25 Hz.
Pipe organs... as far as I'm aware only one voice in the lower registers doesn't put out audible harmonics, and even then it's usually doubled with another voice that does have them.

I don't know if we have a resident organist on the forum that could clear up this matter properly.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's a funny idea to want to play recordings of taiko drums at home in all their dynamic beauty and loudness of the real thing. :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There has never been a concert anywhere near me to listen live, so the alternative is to never listen :facepalm:
So it's a case of all or nothing?!
Can you imagine how much gets lost from live venue experience to home speakers?
Its more of a diminishing returns scenario, as others have tried to point to.
Are those bottom few Hz, worth the effort and the cost?
Will it diminish the music, if you have to pay thousands, for larger speakers, deal with room acoustics, emply few hundred extra watts, to get, at best a better sensation in your belly?
If it does, good luck to you, you chase that. But I believe the majority won't think so.
For me, I can enjoy music out of my mobile phone tiny speaker, my Audeze headphones and my Hugo2 , and my home setup system with Sonus Faber speakers, Meridian amp etc.
Music is music, and i love it.
I am also a regular classical concer goer, to some of the famous venues here in London.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So it's a case of all or nothing?!
Can you imagine how much gets lost from live venue experience to home speakers?
Its more of a diminishing returns scenario, as others have tried to point to.
Are those bottom few Hz, worth the effort and the cost?
Will it diminish the music, if you have to pay thousands, for larger speakers, deal with room acoustics, emply few hundred extra watts, to get, at best a better sensation in your belly?
If it does, good luck to you, you chase that. But I believe the majority won't think so.
Whatever.
I have had speakers and amp power that can do it pretty well for 40 years and a dedicated large room for over 25 years so I can get a pretty close approximation to live sound here.
I do go to plenty of live concerts too, my wife is a professional musician, though not as often as I used to, regrettably.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever.
I have had speakers and amp power that can do it pretty well for 40 years and a dedicated large room for over 25 years so I can get a pretty close approximation to live sound here.
I do go to plenty of live concerts too, my wife is a professional musician, though not as often as I used to, regrettably.
Wonderful.
You are 73, I am 10 years your junior and have never been near a formula one car racing ;).
Is it too much to suspect that in our young age! and what we have put our auditory systems through (also a Rock concert goer), that our hearing at frequency extremes may be, possibly , not what it used to be?
I have accepted that, don't know about you.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Maybe language barrier then, but lots of music have 30Hz content and even lower. It's silly to call it as some "sound effect" when it's clearly a part of the music (and not say some unintended microphone rumble). Whether 30Hz or 15kHz is "needed" for enjoyment, it's a completely personal issue.

Less a language barrier, more a generation gap I think. :)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
There has never been a concert anywhere near me to listen live, so the alternative is to never listen :facepalm:
Good point! I understand that. But it's also not a complete contradiction to my thought. Normally you will listen to taiko drums at home with a reduced volume and bass depth so that it is still pleasant. Big taiko drums were also used in ancient Japan to frighten the enemy in battle. Usually they are not played in a small room but outdoors.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonderful.
You are 73, I am 10 years your junior and have never been near a formula one car racing ;).
Is it too much to suspect that in our young age! and what we have put our auditory systems through (also a Rock concert goer), that our hearing at frequency extremes may be, possibly , not what it used to be?
I have accepted that, don't know about you.
Obviously!

I have had my hearing checked when my wife started going deaf. It is a tragedy for her since she is a musician and a shock for me being better than average for my age given the environment I have worked in.

I suspect the sound of a Steinway Model B may be louder averaged over time for a frequently practicing player than an occasional peak of F1 engine as it blasts by a person with ear defenders on at over 100mph once every 1 ½ minutes or so 16 weekends a year???

Anyway I listen to live music, and always have, with the ears I have at any particular age ;) so any comparison between live and reproduced is done in a valid sense. I certainly would not be able to discern any difference between reproduction at 12kHz but luckily music contains almost none so that isn’t a concern.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point! I understand that. But it's also not a complete contradiction to my thought. Normally you will listen to taiko drums at home with a reduced volume and bass depth so that it is still pleasant. Big taiko drums were also used in ancient Japan to frighten the enemy in battle. Usually they are not played in a small room but outdoors.
Whilst I have never been to a local concert I was at a sponsorship event once in Japan where there was a demonstration of these drums, including the big one.
We were indeed outside and whilst I didn’t have a sound meter with me I don’t think, at the distance we were listening, they were any louder than I can get in my music room.

The dynamic range of recordings is usually the problem, no recording distributor in their right mind would try to sell a recoring of wide dynamic range music with its full dynamic range preserved since 99% of the people buying it wouldn’t be able to replay it.

There are a few “audiophile” recordings demonstrating the dynamic range of real life but very few and usually just lollipops.

Top Bottom