• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting....so the chain would go

Wiim pro -coaxial-flex digital-
Flex- coaxial-dac3L-XLR-Benchmark Amp
Flex- coaxial-(unknown dac)-RCA-Subs

But wait a minute which volume control would i use?

Thanks
The digital volume of the flex

radix

Major Contributor
Why not the flex digital? You could still use the benchmark and get a cheap DAC for the subs

I think the Benchmark DAC outputs are 2x balanced and 4x unbalanced. As @juiangst says [about using the Flex digital], you could also go Wiim -> digital -> Flex -> digital -> Benchmark DAC -> {subs (RCA), amp (XLR)}. The only issue is you'd be sending full range to the amp. Or do the 2x DAC choice. Some subs might even have digital in.

I'd avoid putting it between the DAC and amp, as Benchmark has really married those devices well and it would be a shame to put something between them.

juliangst

Or just get the Balanced Flex and use TRS to RCA cables for the sub. They just need to have Pin 3 not connected

Monty67

I think the Benchmark DAC outputs are 2x balanced and 4x unbalanced. As @juiangst says [about using the Flex digital], you could also go Wiim -> digital -> Flex -> digital -> Benchmark DAC -> {subs (RCA), amp (XLR)}. The only issue is you'd be sending full range to the amp. Or do the 2x DAC choice. Some subs might even have digital in.
Full range to the amp? What do you mean?

I'd avoid putting it between the DAC and amp, as Benchmark has really married those devices well and it would be a shame to put something between them.

Avoid putting the flex between the dac and amp? Wouldnt the flex go before the dac?

Monty67

At the moment the way i understand things, seems like the easiest thing to do is get the flex digital. And a cheap dac for my sub.

Oh i just seen the response from julian about getting the flex and using trs to rca cables. .......that seems pretty easy

juliangst

With the both the digital and analog flex you could also just use the Wiim as a volume control.
Both the flex and wiim use digital volume and should be virtually lossless.

radix

Major Contributor
At the moment the way i understand things, seems like the easiest thing to do is get the flex digital. And a cheap dac for my sub.

Oh i just seen the response from julian about getting the flex and using trs to rca cables. .......that seems pretty easy

Your choices are:

1. Put analog flex between DAC and amp. You could use either volume control, but I'd pick one.
  2. Put digital flex between wiim and DAC, with crossover in Flex and new DAC for subs (or a sub with a DAC). Need to use flex volume.
  3. Put digital flex between wiim and DAC, use 3 DAC outputs. Use crossover on sub. Speakers get full range. Use DAC or flex volume control.
#1 is the normal way to use the flex. #2 works just as well. #3 has no new gear, keeps the DAC volume control, but has no high pass filter for speakers. DIRAC would do the same thing in all 3 configurations (DIRAC is only 2 channels and expects the crossover to happen after it).

I had a knee-jerk reaction to avoid putting something between the benchmark gear, as it is so well engineered to work together. But I imagine the difference is not perceptible.

Monty67

Your choices are:

1. Put analog flex between DAC and amp. You could use either volume control, but I'd pick one.
  2. Put digital flex between wiim and DAC, with crossover in Flex and new DAC for subs (or a sub with a DAC). Need to use flex volume.
  3. Put digital flex between wiim and DAC, use 3 DAC outputs. Use crossover on sub. Speakers get full range. Use DAC or flex volume control.
#1 is the normal way to use the flex. #2 works just as well. #3 has no new gear, keeps the DAC volume control, but has no high pass filter for speakers. DIRAC would do the same thing in all 3 configurations (DIRAC is only 2 channels and expects the crossover to happen after it).

I had a knee-jerk reaction to avoid putting something between the benchmark gear, as it is so well engineered to work together. But I imagine the difference is not perceptible.
Thanks for the breakdown.
I do pause my self when i think about getting rid of the dac 3 l.

And because of that i might go with option 2.

Need to chew it over.
Thanks

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think your original idea of getting a SHD is a good idea.

It gives the most the I/O flexibility, you could use the digital outputs in to the Benchmark DAC + cheap DAC for the sub or you could use the analog outputs directly in to your amp + sub. As it has balanced and unbalanced analog outputs you won't need to worry about adapting from balanced to unbalanced for your sub, it should also be immune from turn on/off pops and hum which you may experience with a balanced to unbalanced adapter / cable going in to your sub.

Because you have the option of directly comparing your system with and without the benchmark DAC it would be a good way to decide if the Benchmark DAC should remain in your system.

Downsides compared to the Flex options are higher cost and larger form factor, but if you can do everything in the SHD and don't need the Benchmark DAC or a separate DAC for your sub it may end up being more compact.

Michael

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Agreed. The problem with using a different DAC for the sub is you may get different latency (delay) from the two different DACs, causing a phase shift (or even an audible delay) between Sub and Mains.

Monty67

Agreed. The problem with using a different DAC for the sub is you may get different latency (delay) from the two different DACs, causing a phase shift (or even an audible delay) between Sub and Mains.
So i never considered that there might be a delay between two different dacs.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So i never considered that there might be a delay between two different dacs.
All dacs have a buffer to allow for clock synchronisation. There will be a delay through the dac depending on the buffer length. The buffer length in two different designs (or at least using two different DAC chips) is unlikely to be the same.

Monty67

At this point im leaning towards the SHD.

I guess this would be much more straight forward if the sub had balanced ins. Would get the flex balanced and call it a day.

I thought i read about the balanced to unbalanced adapter being an issue. And it looks like it was brought up here.

The digital seems interesting, but i would have to wrap my head around two identical dacs.

The flex unbalanced is coming into my view more...but i tend to think that XLR balanced connection is better whenever possible.

The SHD is kinda pricey in my opinion. Especially when i compare it to the flex units.

I need to mull it over some more. The way forward is definitely clear as mud for me at the moment.....

radix

Major Contributor
All dacs have a buffer to allow for clock synchronisation. There will be a delay through the dac depending on the buffer length. The buffer length in two different designs (or at least using two different DAC chips) is unlikely to be the same.

But would not the Flex be able to synchronize those delays, as it controls both outputs? Or would there be too much jitter between them?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point im leaning towards the SHD.

I guess this would be much more straight forward if the sub had balanced ins. Would get the flex balanced and call it a day.

I thought i read about the balanced to unbalanced adapter being an issue. And it looks like it was brought up here.

The digital seems interesting, but i would have to wrap my head around two identical dacs.

The flex unbalanced is coming into my view more...but i tend to think that XLR balanced connection is better whenever possible.

The SHD is kinda pricey in my opinion. Especially when i compare it to the flex units.

I need to mull it over some more. The way forward is definitely clear as mud for me at the moment.....
Balanced to unbalanced is not an issue at all (I'm using it right now)

There is a documented drop in sinad on the analogue input if you use the miniDSP unbalanced to balanced cable, but this is irrelevant to your use case, and I think is likely not to be an issue in any case if a correctly wired cable is used. In any case, even after the drop it is still better than most analogue sources.

Monty67

Balanced to unbalanced is not an issue at all (I'm using it right now)

There is a documented drop in sinad on the analogue input if you use the miniDSP unbalanced to balanced cable, but this is irrelevant to your use case, and I think is likely not to be an issue in any case if a correctly wired cable is used. In any case, even after the drop it is still better than most analogue sources.
Well if thats the case, that the documented drop is on the analog input, then you are right. Thats not my use case at all. Im not plugging anything in to the analog inputs of the flex.

My use case would be

Wiim pro digital coaxial to flex. I would use the analog outputs of the flex.

Could you link the trs to rca adapter you are using?

Thanks

juliangst

Well if thats the case, that the documented drop is on the analog input, then you are right. Thats not my use case at all. Im not plugging anything in to the analog inputs of the flex.

My use case would be

Wiim pro digital coaxial to flex. I would use the analog outputs of the flex.

Could you link the trs to rca adapter you are using?

Thanks
MiniDSP says you should only use TRS to RCA cables where the TRS tip is connected to the RCA tip and the TRS sleeve is connected to RCA shield.
f4tBi8RhZRGlxeFP3NxwPieoDKH7GAMmDA.png

This can easily be achieved by getting a stereo TRS to dual RCA cable and just using the left channel RCA for the sub.
TRS-to-Dual-RCA-Cable-6ft.jpg

By ignoring the right RCA (green line) you essentially have a TRS to RCA adapter with Pin 3 (ring on TRS) floating.

Monty67

MiniDSP says you should only use TRS to RCA cables where the TRS tip is connected to the RCA tip and the TRS sleeve is connected to RCA shield.
f4tBi8RhZRGlxeFP3NxwPieoDKH7GAMmDA.png

This can easily be achieved by getting a stereo TRS to dual RCA cable and just using the left channel RCA for the sub.
TRS-to-Dual-RCA-Cable-6ft.jpg

By ignoring the right RCA (green line) you essentially have a TRS to RCA adapter with Pin 3 (ring on TRS) floating.
Thanks for the breakdown.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those who are looking to buy one in Europe, I have one available:

Joffy1780

As @radix said any delays can be rectified within the flex settings.

Considering you have a fantastic DAC already, I would go the flex digital and cheap DAC for subs option.

Top Bottom