• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't think Amir is into re-testing every piece of kit whenever it gets a firmware update.
If the update applies to the rest of the products @mdsimon2 may be kind enough to do a fast retest (if he has the time) and add to this thread:

(although there's already one with the beta version of this update there).
(it will also be nice if someone did a set of measurements about the analog performance too with a bunch of filters applied)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
A proof for intersample clipping improvements, test file with 0 dBFS sample peaks and +3.01 dBFS intersample peaks at 44.1 kHz, -2.5 dB master volume vs -3 dB:

1695120071426.png

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think Amir is into re-testing every piece of kit whenever it gets a firmware update.

well ... i don't named Amir :)

and i asked for that because the upgrade is specifically a feature that upgrades a sound quality facet / aspect, so i thought is more than reasonable.

Sokel

Master Contributor
well ... i don't named Amir :)

and i asked for that because the upgrade is specifically a feature that upgrades a sound quality facet / aspect, so i thought is more than reasonable.
Amir never tested it in this thread with filters applied so no comparison can be made because the penalty in performance (noise mainly) was when the user applied filters.
I would expect it to be the same without filters but on the other hand it's main use case is exactly that (applying filters for x-over,room correction,etc)

mike70

Amir never tested it in this thread with filters applied so no comparison can be made because the penalty in performance (noise mainly) was when the user applied filters.
I would expect it to be the same without filters but on the other hand it's main use case is exactly that (applying filters for x-over,room correction,etc)

ok, you're right ... but more simple:
some people said there are some "caveats" to be solved in this upgrade ... so, maybe we can check the upgrade is an improvement on that concern, i mean, using the same filters / use case that detected the problem (before / after upgrade).

Sokel

Master Contributor
ok, you're right ... but more simple:
some people said there are some "caveats" to be solved in this upgrade ... so, maybe we can check the upgrade is an improvement on that concern, i mean, using the same filters / use case that detected the problem (before / after upgrade).
You can already see that (the digital performance only) and compare the original performance with the (beta at the time tested but I believe is the same) update in the thread I posted above (fix that improves the noise performance is in the last pages) .

It's not specifically for Flex but applies to all shark based similar gear by miniDSP.

Probelou

I have a flex digital that currently sits before my DAC and then a separate preamp before my power amps.

I have the flex volume set to -10db to compensate for any boosting done by Dirac. If I have it any higher I sometimes hear clipping. Does this latest update to the ASRC volume mean I’ll be able to set the flex volume to 0db and not hear any clipping?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have a flex digital that currently sits before my DAC and then a separate preamp before my power amps.

I have the flex volume set to -10db to compensate for any boosting done by Dirac. If I have it any higher I sometimes hear clipping. Does this latest update to the ASRC volume mean I’ll be able to set the flex volume to 0db and not hear any clipping?
The update happened so you can adjust Flex to less than 0db so to avoid intersample overs that happened before regardless the set level (as signal went to ASCR full throttle and then it was attenuated ) .

mike70

So, how we use it? We need to add some attenuation at the master gain in flex console?
As an example, to left L / R main gain in -1.5dB

Sokel

Master Contributor
So, how we use it? We need to add some attenuation at the master gain in flex console?
As an example, to left L / R main gain in -1.5dB
Yes.
It would be better if you test it too (measure it) with some intersample overs but I think around -3db would be safe under any condition

Room314

What would be the best place to buy Flex in the EU? Audiophonics?

I know this has been discussed already before, but maybe something has changed in the meantime...

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
What would be the best place to buy Flex in the EU? Audiophonics?

I know this has been discussed already before, but maybe something has changed in the meantime...
Yes. Audiophonics seems the best option to me. Well established company with very good support.

shilent

Updated my Flex to the latest firmware.
All my settings are intact.
Switching inputs now sometimes pops/clicks.
I reported a while back that inputs would switch on its own, I think this is fixed now, I couldn't reproduce it

Monty67

Hi

Looking for advice on which minidsp product to get. Thinking of adding a sub. Sub doesnt have balanced inputs. But my other gear does. I use Roon.

Current set up
Wiim pro--benchmark dac 3L-benchmark amp-jbl 4367

Soooo replace the benchmark dac 3l with the Minidsp SHD. Go balanced from the SHD to my benchmark amp. Use the unbalanced from the SHD to my subs.

Or is it better to get the minidsp flex unbalanced version?

Or another product that fits my needs better?

Thanks

juliangst

Hi

Looking for advice on which minidsp product to get. Thinking of adding a sub. Sub doesnt have balanced inputs. But my other gear does. I use Roon.

Current set up
Wiim pro--benchmark dac 3L-benchmark amp-jbl 4367

Soooo replace the benchmark dac 3l with the Minidsp SHD. Go balanced from the SHD to my benchmark amp. Use the unbalanced from the SHD to my subs.

Or is it better to get the minidsp flex unbalanced version?

Or another product that fits my needs better?

Thanks
Why not the flex digital? You could still use the benchmark and get a cheap DAC for the subs

Monty67

Why not the flex digital? You could still use the benchmark and get a cheap DAC for the subs
Interesting....so the chain would go

Wiim pro -coaxial-flex digital-
Flex- coaxial-dac3L-XLR-Benchmark Amp
Flex- coaxial-(unknown dac)-RCA-Subs

But wait a minute which volume control would i use?

Thanks

Top Bottom