• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Dome Flax Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 157 84.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

Ruhled

Why does it look like it's coming apart at the bottom? Is the fit and finish really that bad?

Jhify

Why does it look like it's coming apart at the bottom? Is the fit and finish really that bad?
You can incline them the way you want which make them convenient for on wall height atmos.

*So there's that "rail" on the bottom side where the feet slide depending of inclinaison.

Reactions: nav

Jhify

I planned to use these as surround/atmos speakers to complement my Focal Sopra LRC channels. Since these are subpar, is there an alternative set of speakers I can use for that purpose?

Choras maybe ?

fineMen

Major Contributor
Choras maybe ?
If formally educated people would still have books, what about a real book-shelf speaker sitting in a shelf, unobstrusively? A far fetched attempt, I admit.

Left

Could the cover not fully closing contribute to the buzzing case? Now if someone would send you a Gallo A'Diva Ti speaker.

Jhify

If formally educated people would still have books, what about a real book-shelf speaker sitting in a shelf, unobstrusively? A far fetched attempt, I admit.
I don't get what you mean with that sarcastic tone ? Choras are bookshelf speakers.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I don't get what you mean with that sarcastic tone ? Choras are bookshelf speakers.
The better, go for it! I'm European and I observe France with love, really. Let's hope for the best.

Personally, it's complicated, because personality wise I reside just in between arts and science. A lot of tension here, I beg your pardon.

I recently realized a speaker system to be used with this: https://www.vitsoe.com/gb/606

Again, my apologies.

imrul

Depends on form factor etc. I presume you want wall mounted but do you need them flat, lifestye styled etc.

If you are taking tiny sats they will have limitations. But good ones should be better balanced than these. Try the kef sats I guess. or revel if they carry what you are looking for.

Better yet, sell the sopra set and get a matching set of revels.

you really do not need to worry about using the same brand for the surround. Especially for atmos or surrounds for films. And unless you have 5 of exactly the same speakers, not the same brand or model line but the exact same model of speaker, or extremely close too it (such as KEF Q350 fronts and center and KEF Q150 surrounds) my experience is that surround music will never be even somewhat timbre matched anyway.
Looks like the Kef satellites measure worse than these. I'm thinking maybe the Kef R8 Meta?

Zwepp

Here in The Netherlands a single Dome Flax costs € 329,- and the 5.1 package will set you back 'only' € 1.999,-. Still way too much though. Cut the price in half and it might be a somewhat decent package for those who listen with less critical ears and on a lower volume.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't recall woofer and tweeter response being shown separately in other reviews, which I find interesting - I wouldn't buy this stuff in a million years, but put them both together and there is worse lifestyle crap out there.

I wish there was always a paragraph on subwoofer compatibility and recommendations in speakers these days, especially with bookshelf style speakers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I had to see what the rest of it looks like:

g091DFW-F.jpg

fineMen

Major Contributor
Here in The Netherlands a single Dome Flax costs € 329,- and the 5.1 package will set you back 'only' € 1.999,-.
How do you compare the Focal's ready made solution to Bose's? Problem seems to be to own a 5.1 with limited enthusiasm? (Don't call me sarcastic, it is just an analytical question of an open mind.)

Ellebob

Forum Donor
For small speakers these are decent. I don't think as small as the flax though.

Jhify

Maybe. They might be too large to place high up for atmos
I don't know what is your setup/usecase but I only stream movies and there's just so few Atmos content and not much information up there in the mixes I coulnd't bother spending much for those speakers. Something convenient and good enough might do the trick. good luck.

Top Bottom