• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It would be cool to see the same tests run on the NUC 3815 board I sent Amir. I sent a cheap sMPS and his lab supply could be used for the other test. The OS I sent on USB defaults to NAA mode. So it would be perfect to compare apples to apples with the same lab supply and the same mode with the microrendu as it's a $145 board, compared to $640 for the microrendu.

And the NUC board can accept any voltage between 12-24V
Feel free to start a thread with that device Mike, what happened to that measuring (AP) device you were getting? Would be cool to see your own tests... Independent of these.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Cool! Do you want to start a thread detailing your new direction.. Or better implemented original direction I Guess is a more accurate description.
I will do that in a few weeks when Jussi releases the full 3.14 version of HQplayer.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The Luxman amp sounds better to me on the JBL horns.

Yes the Kaluga input buffer can be fatiguing with highly revealing speakers. You should try the Nord amps with SIL-994 based buffer board. Joe who has the exact same speakers says it's a match made in heaven. Actually he prefers the Sparko opamps as they are more tube like. And they are only $2000. But off topic for this thread.

We finally have measurements preformed with an aPX-525 comparing all of the opamps as well. Maybe I'll share on another thread.

firedog

Is there a theory as to why its measured performance be any different in other modes? The DLNA mode already exercises the full audio and networking stacks in there.

I ask because I have such a long list of projects ahead of me (both for the forum and elsewhere) that I don't want to keep on one project if no different outcome materializes. :)
I think the idea is that in the NAA mode the mRendu is acting basically as a type of buffer and not doing anything else. In DLNA mode it may be doing more.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But as that $145 board I sent Amir to test does the exact same thing as the Microrendu, I can't see why it would be inappropriate to compare with the Microrendu on this thread. People who are in the market for a microrendu buy it mainly to run in NAA ot Roon RAAT mode. This is exactly what this $145 NUC I sent Amir is setup to do. There isn't a better comparison that can be made, and Amir has everything sitting right there already. This is why I mailed it to him.
Your stuff is still in the boxes they came in. :) As I have noted, my TODO list has exploded and I am trying to get through them as fast as I can. Note that on my test bench I don't have Roon. The one and only lifetime license is on my main music server. To use Roon on my test bench I would have to buy it all over again which I am not willing to do right now.

Mivera

Major Contributor

BobShermanEsq

I find Amirs assertion about the potentially significant nature of the random or uniform nature of noise trumping the level itself to be the interesting topic of debate here.

I am surprised this has not been picked up on! Bit disappointed tbh.
Maybe because he is not correct??? Best just to ignore such stuff...

Mivera

Major Contributor

BobShermanEsq

Tim, my measurements so far have shown me that the working principles behind the Regen & microRendu are not shown in simplistic measurements & I have no alternative measurements that would help or be of any great service to anybody. Yet, I know that the Regen itself improves the sound & greatly improves the sound when powered differently because I have experimented with it & I & others have heard the effects. Are they measurable? Not in any way that I have tried to measure them.

John,

As you mention and as most understand, these things cannot be measured. Sad but a select few cannot or choose not to understand this.

regards
Bob

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You cannot measure belief.
Keith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As you mention and as most understand, these things cannot be measured.
In this forum we go by accepted audio science and research. Unless you have such evidence you can put forward, please don't repeat such claims. If you do, I will start to delete them as noise.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it can't be measured and it's effects can't be reliably identified under bias controlled blind listening conditions, what is it's relevance in the real world? I for one would never waste a penny on any device that couldn't meet those standards.
If you came to me with a performance enhancing product with claims of increased power, I would put the vehicle on a rear wheel dyno and maybe run it at the dragstrip. If the numbers didn't match the claims you would be laughed out of any serious discussions.

Cars with louder exhausts can sound and feel faster too. But many times the numbers prove a loss in actual performance, but the driver loves the way it sounds and has no real interest in the numbers. He doesn't even want to see them. Sounds very familiar to me. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sad but a select few cannot or choose not to understand this.
What is sad is believing advertising copy for products with nary of any validation. I don't spend $700 blind this way. Trying to cheer ignorance is not something to be proud of.

BobShermanEsq

Just because :)

It's been shown over and over again that many things audible cannot be measured. Of course there are some that are not willing to believe this and just feel our mind is playing tricks on us. My opinion is that the mind is much more powerful than these few individuals give it credit for, and we should trust ourselves when we listen. YMMV

Mivera

Major Contributor
John,

As you mention and as most understand, these things cannot be measured. Sad but a select few cannot or choose not to understand this.

regards
Bob

The effects of linear regulators can be measured. The measurements are even published on the datasheets. If the linear regulators were implemented properly, you wouldn't see such a massive difference between power supplies. you wouldn't hear it either. Several $20000+ DAC's use dirty SMPS's to power them, and they sound and measure stunning. I've experimented with this a lot with DAC's. Try powering the analog stage of the AK4490 DAC with a SMPS with 150mV ripple and listen to how it sounds. Sounds like crap. Then run that noisy SMPS through an excellent ultra low noise LDO properly bypassed with the proper caps and have a listen. You will be blown away by the difference. Now try again with an ultra clean LPS. Connect direct first and listen, then run through the same regulator. Without the regulator it's night and day. But when run through the regulator I can't tell them apart for the life of me sighted. let alone blind.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If it can't be measured and it's effects can't be reliably identified under bias controlled blind listening conditions, what is it's relevance in the real world? I for one would never waste a penny on any device that couldn't meet those standards.
If you came to me with a performance enhancing product with claims of increased power, I would put the vehicle on a rear wheel dyno and maybe run it at the dragstrip. If the numbers didn't match the claims you would be laughed out of any serious discussions.

Cars with louder exhausts can sound and feel faster too. But many times the numbers prove a loss in actual performance, but the driver loves the way it sounds and has no real interest in the numbers. He doesn't even want to see them. Sounds very familiar to me. :D
Yea I found that, with exhausts .. You need back pressure don't you..

Top Bottom