• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many audio forums do you follow?

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Chris over at PSA impresses me. He is their speaker designer. I have nice things to say about Ted too, their DAC engineer. I draw the line after that. Too much snake oil. You have to read the book 99% True by Paul. It explains his mindset from the 1970's and how it carries over to today. Basically going to any length to sell into the hi-end audio market. Creating products and then trying to sell a need for them, i.e. noise harvesters, power conditioners, etsc.
Well the measurements of their latest DAC get worse with every software update, so...

Yes, he who shall not be named will go to any length to sell things. He literally lies in his videos every day.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's eight I look at regularly but I only post in three.

There's a couple I occasionally read because they are almost entirely devoted to discussing products that do nothing, and how to get the best out of them.

fuzzychaos

mostly three or four including ASR. I do watch a few YouTube channels.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’d see reviews on any of them, even the subjective crap ones, if I was looking at purchasing a specific piece of equipment. That said, I pretty much hold this site and maybe Erin’s as my most trusted. But hey, a measurement by Atkinson on Stereophile is great too if you know how to interpret the graphs and know the commentary is skewed to advertisers.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only and exclusively ASR. Disengaged from any others. There is one Facebook group, but I contribute seldom.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
This thread reminded me I haven't checked SuperBestAudioFriends for a while.

I do enjoy the plankton-rich waters for a change after lounging perhaps too long in ASR's over-chlorinated pool. :)

I don't actually post there though. I've tried Audiogon but their forum software is ordinary and it's hard to have much of a conversation. Plenty of abuse to be had too, for random things or mentioning posting here. Less moderation of all that is a downside also.

Last edited:

saberger0357

This one, Steve Hoffman and Audiokarma are the 3 primary one's. Also check in occasionally to Pink Fish Media, Vinyl Engine, Audio Asylum, The Klipsch Forums and the Polk forums.

Soria Moria

While not an audio forum, the LTT (Linus Tech Tips) forum has an audio section that I lurk and occasionally post on.

D

Deleted member 48726

This thread reminded me I haven't checked SuperBestAudioFriends for a while.

I do enjoy the plankton-rich waters for a change after lounging perhaps too long in ASR's over-chlorinated pool. :)

I don't actually post there though. I've tried Audiogon but their forum software is ordinary and it's hard to have much of a conversation. Plenty of abuse to be had too, for random things or mentioning posting here. Less moderation of all that is a downside also.
SBAF is so weird.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
I don't like to be malicious when referencing 'others'. I am really disappointed that a company that wants to maintain a high standard in the audio community still sells it's 'Noise Harvester' on their web site.

I have never owed a DAC until last year. The guy I bought my Marantz SACD swore by the DirectStream. It was $8000 CDN at the time and out of my price range. I got into the Dr. Sr. for about $5500 CDN and am quite happy with it. However, given the way PSA operates, if i was ever in the market to upgrade, it would not be PSA.
I’d see reviews on any of them, even the subjective crap ones, if I was looking at purchasing a specific piece of equipment. That said, I pretty much hold this site and maybe Erin’s as my most trusted. But hey, a measurement by Atkinson on Stereophile is great too if you know how to interpret the graphs and know the commentary is skewed to advertisers.

So a little off-topic here. I love my vintage Celestion Ditton 66 towers. They were the go-to reference monitors for the BBC back in the day.

I would be open to shopping for new speakers but I'm at least a 2-1/2 hr drive from any major city that has a audio shop catering to our needs. I drove 3 hrs to buy my Aurender music server and noticed some of these dealer are distributors for specific products. For example, I could not go to this place and compare a Tannoy speaker to a B&W. I resign and stick with what I have. BTW, I am a happy camper so an upgrade is not an essential in my world right now.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Unsure if you really want to know... Super Best Audio Friends. It's lame right? :cool:

JSmith
Thanks. Never heard about the forum before. I just looked it up and have to check it out just for curiosity.

nerdemoji

Thanks. Never heard about the forum before. I just looked it up and have to check it out just for curiosity.
I just went there… seems like everyone has the hubris and negativity of Sharur on there, with significantly less knowledge of audio science.

Top Bottom