• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Breeze TPA3255 XLR Balanced Amplifier TearDown : DIP8 Op Amps.

chauphuong

I had seen that you were talking about the Mean Well EPP power supply. However, exactly this series is not well suited for amplifiers.
If you're having less fun listening to music on the LA90 than you do on the Breeze TPA3255, then you should take a closer look at your equipment (including sources and speakers) and your music. The Breeze TPA3255 blurs the music more and lowers the resolution, among other things.
Most of people in this thread owning the amp seem to like it, which must be for a reason. I like it driving my system, too. So please save yourself the "closer look" if you find it blurring the music. About the LA90, maybe it does not have enough power for my speakers.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Most of people in this thread owning the amp seem to like it, which must be for a reason. I like it driving my system, too. So please save yourself the "closer look" if you find it blurring the music. About the LA90, maybe it does not have enough power for my speakers.
Please forgive me for interfering and ignore my comments.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you're having less fun listening to music on the LA90 than you do on the Breeze TPA3255, then you should...
...check your impression ears-only to see if that's the issue before chasing more equipment.

Roland68

Major Contributor
...check your impression ears-only to see if that's the issue before chasing more equipment.
I can assure you that this is not necessary.
Maybe take a look at the circuit that generates the signal for the TPA3255 from the SE input signal. If you use such a circuit in industry, when it comes to accuracy and precision, you would hang the developer.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? How did you determine this? It makes no sense, to be honest.
There are 'King Makers' in the world, then there is @SIY :oops:
You can never tell the honesty of anyone in forums, but he is keen on being able smell fibs and will make anyone an 'Honest person'!
10Q!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Concerning op amps.
Is what they say about feeding them close to upper limits (voltage wise) improves performance solid or just another myth?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Ditto.
But very interesting that you say nothing about the influence of the mentioned circuit.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ditto.
But very interesting that you say nothing about the influence of the mentioned circuit.
Why bother chasing your imagination? You can't be bothered to do a cursory listening test.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Concerning op amps.
Is what they say about feeding them close to upper limits (voltage wise) improves performance solid or just another myth?
If you mean me, it has nothing to do with it at all. It's about the circuit used, not the power supply.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Concerning op amps.
Look at the datasheets. Note the effect of rail voltage on distortion and noise.

edit: also slew rate and unity gain bandwidth. I noticed TI includes that data on their tech sheets.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Why bother chasing your imagination? You can't be bothered to do a cursory listening test.
With that everything is really said and the whole topic is perfectly dealt with with this cheap circuit.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you mean me, it has nothing to do with it at all. It's about the circuit used, not the power supply.
Oh,no,no,I just saw @SIY and grabbed the chance to ask :),nothing to do with the rest of the discussion.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any data that shows what that circuit does to the audio. Measurements, for example. Better still, measurements of the actual amplifier in question, showing the effects on the audio output from the amp.

If you do, do you also have data telling you what the audibility of those effects are. If you do, we'd love to see them.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Do you have any data that shows what that circuit does to the audio. Measurements, for example. Better still, measurements of the actual amplifier in question, showing the effects on the audio output from the amp.

If you do, do you also have data telling you what the audibility of those effects are. If you do, we'd love to see them.
It's not worth the trouble. There have been enough publications on the subject for decades, not only from TI.
But if it is ok and has no effect if you only generate one of the two sides for a difference signal with a single OPAmp, then there is heaps of unnecessary electronic waste in hi-fi equipment, but above all in recording studios.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not worth the trouble. There have been enough publications on the subject for decades, not only from TI.
But if it is ok and has no effect if you only generate one of the two sides for a difference signal with a single OPAmp, then there is heaps of unnecessary electronic waste in hi-fi equipment, but above all in recording studios.
So your assertions don't seem very well evidenced. I'll pay them as much attention as that warrants.

Last edited:

SMen

Save yourself the investment for the EPP power supply.
A Mean Well from the HRP series is more suitable, as it reacts much more quickly to current requirements and even provides up to 2 times the power for pulses for a short time.
However, you should also consider whether further investments in this TPA3255 amplifier are worthwhile.
It has a very cheap circuit for the input and the signal processing of the TPA3255, like almost all TPA32xx DIY boards and also the current amplifiers, for example from Aiyima and Fosi. A circuit with 2 dual OPAmps for SE input with a TPA3255 is already an economy circuit. SE and XLR input with 2 dual OPAmps is just ridiculous at this point.
Better take a TPA3255 board with a high-quality circuit.
The HRP series all seem to be external power supplies but also EPP. Perhaps you could link to a suitable one.
But also balanced TPA3255 circuits you think are good. And then we can better understand your points.

Roland68

Major Contributor
The HRP series all seem to be external power supplies but also EPP. Perhaps you could link to a suitable one.
But also balanced TPA3255 circuits you think are good. And then we can better understand your points.
You can find the Mean Well HRP series immediately via Google, you only have to choose the power and voltage. But they are open frame power supplies, you should know that and have the skills to use them, otherwise it's dangerous.
*However, it was made clear in this thread that neither power supplies nor the circuit used can have an influence. That doesn't have to stop you from doing your own research, trying something out and forming your own opinion.

*PS: Apparently a wrong conclusion on my part

Last edited:
Top Bottom