• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BUCKEYEAMPS Hypex NCx500 Amplifier 2channel Review

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Hi,

Thank you all for this thread. It brings a lot to the table.
As i was interested by this kind of amp, as a typical noob buyer, can someone confirm the following :
- Is it safer (not 100% safe, but safer) to have 2 monoblocs of NCx500 than a 2 channel when one wants to "push" the amp a little bit
- what about stereo Purifis (1ET400A) ? Same thing?

Cheers
Having two power supplies to power two ncx500 modules or two Purifi modules is the best way to go. Amps with one power supply powering two amplifier modules have “cut corners” to bring the cost down and to be compact.

Positivevibrations

Having two power supplies to power two ncx500 modules or two Purifi modules is the best way to go. Amps with one power supply powering two amplifier modules have “cut corners” to bring the cost down and to be compact.
It’s fine with the NC500. Because they’re lower current modules. Not the NCx500.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You don’t know how fast the power was applied to the load.

And sunshine, you are merely speculating as to the failure mode in the power supply. Hypex modules fail in all sorts of creative ways. I know, I've seen enough of them. In fact a few more dead modules are on the way to me from an ASR member as we speak.

Positivevibrations

I don t agree. No need to build an home audio amp as a power plant. The testers should also consider this. 2 PSUs total overkill for this use case.
Yes you need to build an amp in a manner that all the protection circuitry actually works as intended. It’s impossible for the overcurrent circuitry to work as intended with 2 NCx500’s paired with 1 SMPS1200A700.

ubiq

Forum Donor
It’s fine with the NC500. Because they’re lower current modules. Not the NCx500.
Got it
Thanx to both of you.
ASR proves again it's a fantastic source of knowledge

Positivevibrations

And sunshine, you are merely speculating as to the failure mode in the power supply. Hypex modules fail in all sorts of creative ways. I know, I've seen enough of them. In fact a few more dead modules are on the way to me from an ASR member as we speak.
Yeah with the pool of manufacturers making builds with these parts it’s no surprise. Hence the reason Hypex should implement a certification program.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Then the OP seems to have taken these inflated numbers for granted ( cos' it's written...) and has started the testing in the most innocent way (let's see what happen...) and without any curiousity about what's inside the box.
Have you done much high-power bench testing?

I had my first first mains electric shock in my mid teens and it's made me a bit of a coward when it comes to testing powerful devices, so I would not have just tested it immediately to maximum output, as the OP did. Perhaps I would have spotted the limit earlier in the test and not cooked the PSU.

BUT, I would have aimed to carefully test for full power, with sine waves. If you repair the current stage of a power amplifier, the only way you can confirm you've not messed up is to test that the device meets manufacturer's specifications. It's common practice.

Sure, music is much more dynamic and the amp is probably OK in the real world, BUT, the specifications should be clear that this closed box device can only safely deliver 325W in total. It's a 160W per channel amplifier.

Sokel

Master Contributor

I had my first first mains electric shock in my mid teens and it's made me a bit of a coward when it comes to testing powerful devices, so I would not have just tested it immediately to maximum output, as the OP did. Perhaps I would have spotted the limit earlier in the test and not cooked the PSU.

BUT, I would have aimed to carefully test for full power, with sine waves. If you repair the current stage of a power amplifier, the only way you can confirm you've not messed up is to test that the device meets manufacturer's specifications. It's common practice.

Sure, music is much more dynamic and the amp is probably OK in the real world, BUT, the specifications should be clear that this closed box device can only safely deliver 325W in total. It's a 160W per channel amplifier.
The specific DUT was already suspicious right from the beginning with its long settling time (32 min.! ) as pointed by other members too.
It will take time for us to learn the real cause of failure.

Positivevibrations

When I said building an amp like this weeks ago on this forum was wrong, I guess I had a crystal ball to see into the future and read this review. It really blows my mind how people can’t comprehend why overloading a supply is bad. Put a V12 with 700ftlbs of torque in a Honda Civic, then say the transmission was bad if it blows up.

Toni Mas

And there’s no way in a million years that if I were an amp manufacturer I would have put an amp on the market using 2 NCx500 modules with 1 SMPS1200A700.
Yet for Hypex this set Up is safe enough...

My impression is that many of us are unecessarily biased by a failure that in fact we know very little about.

If i were the tester i would not even have published this review. Negative Buzz is as bad a positive feedback if not solidly based.

Positivevibrations

Yet for Hypex this set Up is safe enough...

My impression is that many of is are unecessarily biased by a failure that in fact we know very little about.

If i were the tester i would not even have published this review.
Where did you read that Hypex said their 1200w supply is adequate to allow both of these modules to output their full rated power? Do you think Hypex puts current limiters in the amp modules for no reason? How is it possible to utilize this protection if the supply blows up before it can be triggered?

Even simple math says 700+700=1400w. The supply is rated for 1200w. And you ALWAYS want to overbuild the supply. Bottom line is the weak link needs to be the current limiters in the amp modules. Or you are offering a junk product to the marketplace. NAD would never do this. No company who gets their products UL or ETL certified would ever do this.

Toni Mas

I cannot agree on the 160w, no need to be so conservative. Peaks and headroom also matter, and 85v on the rails is not the same as 35-40v.

Toni Mas

Where did you read that Hypex said their 1200w supply is adequate to allow both of these modules to output their full rated power? Do you think Hypex puts current limiters in the amp modules for no reason? How is it possible to utilize this protection if the supply blows up before it can be triggered?

Even simple math says 700+700=1400w. The supply is rated for 1200w. And you ALWAYS want to overbuild the supply. Bottom line is the weak link needs to be the current limiters in the amp modules. Or you are offering a junk product to the marketplace. NAD would never do this. No company who gets their products UL or ETL certified would ever do this.
Have you read the datasheet?
2x85v available. What for?

Toni Mas

The problem is the current. Not the voltage. If 85V is the only number to look at, why not run 50 modules off a single supply? 100? 1000?
Once again, this is assumed by the designers. From the datasheet:
Output Power (SMPS1200A700) Connected amplifier: 2 x UcD700OEM , f = 1kHz, power sweep 0W up to Pmax. Distortion figures (THD+N) at the stated power ratings are at 1%. Parameter Conditions Symbol Unit Note Total amplifier output power at different input voltages. 240VAC Load = 4Ω Load = 8Ω Po 2x 620 2x 370 W 230VAC Load = 4Ω Load = 8Ω Po 2x 600 2x 340 W

Top Bottom