• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 372 90.1%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
Exactly, even the SPL the specs of Neumann are as precise as it can get:

Sine wave output with a THD < 0.5 % at 1 m in half space95 dB SPL (>97 Hz)
Max. SPL calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz)116.8 dB SPL
Max. SPL in full space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz)110.8 dB SPL
Bass capability: Max. SPL in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 50 Hz and 100 Hz)105.1 dB SPL
Max. short term SPL with IEC-weighted noise (IEC 60268-5) at 1 m, in typical listening conditions108 dB(C) SPL
Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m in typical listening conditions (pair / full range)98 dB(C) SPL
Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (pair with subwoofer)104 dB(C) SPL
Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single / pair full range)88 / 93 dB(C) SPL
Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single / pair with subwoofer)87 / 93 dB(C) SPL
Dolby DARDT. Max SPL fullrange113 dB SPL
Dolby DARDT. Max SPL bass managed119 dB SPL

Would be very surprised if someone proves any of them incorrect.
index.php

In this graph we see over 6% at 60Hz at 86db.
And that's at what distance?One meter.

How can it play near 100db music material at 2.3 m (without a sub) like this where will exceed 10-20%?
Something isn't in line or I got it wrong?

Last edited:

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was expecting a lot and these speakers still outdid my expectations.

At some point in the next year I'll be replacing my trusty Dynaudio BM5mkIII's with these guys.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
this might be the first 5"er that could fill a room with loud sound coupled with a subwoofer. the others will all distort way above 100Hz at 96dB

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

How can it play near 100db music material at 2.3 m (without a sub) like this where will exceed 10-20%?
Where do you see there over 6% at 60 Hz? I see it being a tad less than 1% at that frequency and plot, also since Amir's distortion measurement are not done under anechoic conditions they should be taken with a grain of salt.
Also please be aware that the Neumann spec you mention is in half space and also for a pair.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Amir doesn’t do anechoic THD, they are in-room, so a bit of added distortion. Also, the 2.3m spec states its as a pair, so +6dB.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, thats brilliant. Having the original KH120 can imagine how good this sounds.
Locally looks like a pair of KH120ii is approaching the same price as KH120+KH750.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
this speaker is breaking multiple records, but that 330 Hz resonance is like right in your face, hard not to see it when it's a big black dot on an otherwise white page.
This would not have been visible if I had not lowered the SPL to 80 dB. So other speakers may have hidden resonances like this as well.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Where do you see there over 6% at 60 Hz?
At the percentage graph,the y axis stops at 5% and the THD exceeds that.
Amir doesn’t do anechoic THD, they are in-room, so a bit of added distortion. Also, the 2.3m spec states its as a pair, so +6dB.
That's why I prefer real life measurements,they tell a different story than the perfect anechoic ones.
Also,I thought it was +3db for each speaker we add,what changed?

(don't get me wrong,I adore what I see,I nominated them my next for my desk but that doesn't mean they get a free pass)

Infinit0

Excellent review as always. I am wondering now having the measurements and analysis of the KH120II and KH150 if paired with a subwoofer, the KH120II, will be enough for 85db listening at 2 or 2.25 meters because to be honest there is a huge difference in price for just more SPL on the KH150 (because if paired with sub going deeper doesn't matter in this case).

Cannot wait to the release of the KH310II next year. Kudos to Neumann.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Usually amirm reviews speakers with flattish response as being "too bright" and tones down the high end.

What is different here? Is it nearfield/farfield, or what?
On axis should always be flat. It is the predicted-in-room response that we like to see sloped down which it is here. The effect there strongly depends on how much bass there is. If bass is deficient, then the speaker will sound bright. This one does have bass.

That said, when I put on my Dan Clark Stealth headphone on and listened to the same tracks, it sounded dull in highs so maybe they are a big exaggerated here.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I prefer real life measurements,they tell a different story than the perfect anechoic ones.
Also,I thought it was +3db for each speaker we add,what changed?

(don't get me wrong,I adore what I see,I nominated them my next for my desk but that doesn't mean they get a free pass)
+3dB if you add another woofer/speaker to the same wattage power source. An MTM / dual-woofer design can have a higher sensitively than a normal 2-way speaker for instance (assuming the tweeter isn’t limiting them).

+6dB if you add another woofer/speaker not sharing the same wattage.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would this speaker work well in the midfield? I usually site 5-6 feet from my speakers cause my system on the long wall side of the living room.
No problem at 5 to 6 feet.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would this show as a cabinet buzz or a driver buzz thing? What does this sort of thing do and what causes it?
Its impact on frequency response is less than 1 dB if audible, definitely not much of anything. You could always put in a tiny dip filter there to counter it.

I should note that the resonance may be exaggerated due to it being on top of my Klippel structure which is not very rigid.

Sokel

Master Contributor
+3dB if you add another woofer/speaker to the same wattage power source. An MTM / dual-woofer design can have a higher sensitively than a normal 2-way speaker for instance (assuming the tweeter isn’t limiting them).

+6dB if you add another woofer/speaker not sharing the same wattage.
Oh,I didn't know that.
If that stands for actives too,I'm a happy man!

Top Bottom