• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

Infinit0

Neumann says:
recommend a listening distance of
1,0m - 2,5m for the KH 150
1,0m - 2,0m for the KH 120 II

So with the KH120II at 2 meters you will be in the limit of the range, for something from 1.8+m I would totally go with the KH150.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Neumann says:
recommend a listening distance of
1,0m - 2,5m for the KH 150
1,0m - 2,0m for the KH 120 II

So with the KH120II at 2 meters you will be in the limit of the range, for something from 1.8+m I would totally go with the KH150.

This does not mean that listening to music with KH120ii at 3m is bad!!!!

It's just that when you use them FULLRANGE the 150 gives more level, so you can get further away. And they calculate a pretty high monitoring level (you need pretty high spl for e.g. playing instruments over your monitors or some control listening), not music listening in your flat.
KH150 also has a more narrow directivity so you get more direct sound at a wider distance.

Add a subwoofer or accept a lower level and you are fine with both speakers at 4m. And you will have a reverb chaos anyways in that distance with any speaker. (That's not professional reference lsistening, so it's not the main use for these speakers. But for sure they will sound more reliable as most in that situation).

IamJF

Genelec has something similar, but they need a bit more space in the back due to rear port design.

Speaker-Distance.png

There is so often the question about rear ports in this forum ... Genelec recommends 5cm (!) so their ports work perfectly. Even less should be ok, depending on port size - but of course as manufacturer you need to be save.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Critical distance is not only about SLP.
Is also about room interaction,sum of drivers,peak power ability,etc.
There's a reason to be mentioned as a spec.

IamJF

Critical distance is not only about SLP.
Is also about room interaction,sum of drivers,peak power ability,etc.
There's a reason to be mentioned as a spec.
Yes - in professional listening situation. Not home HiFi listening - these situations are pretty bad in the beginning.
Just look at Genelecs distance specs, they are a lot less strict as Neumanns. (as are their max SPL definitions)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes - in professional listening situation. Not home HiFi listening - these situations are pretty bad in the beginning.
Just look at Genelecs distance specs, they are a lot less strict as Neumanns. (as are their max SPL definitions)
I have seen them,they are a tad more relaxed but exact critical distances are defined more precisely there.
I see no big difference between pro vs home,both are in rooms and the fact that home environment is much worst than pro rooms maybe makes the critical distance smaller for home as room interaction is smaller in nearfield (at least from the mids up).

At least lets make sure the headroom for peaks (which is surprisingly high) is maintained.

IamJF

I have seen them,they are a tad more relaxed but exact critical distances are defined more precisely there.
I see no big difference between pro vs home,both are in rooms and the fact that home environment is much worst than pro rooms maybe makes the critical distance smaller for home as room interaction is smaller in nearfield (at least from the mids up).

At least lets make sure the headroom for peaks (which is surprisingly high) is maintained.
For critical listening - absolutely!
You would need to be in about 1m distance in a home environment anyway for that. (reverberation radius for e.g.)

But most people don't do critical listening. They want to hear music. On their couch in their rooms. But still search for good speakers - and KH120ii are for sure better as most in this size, even in a bad situation.
You don't need the headroom when you live in a city with neighbours. At least not very often ;-)
So I would still prefer a KH120ii in 3-4m distance over a B&W (or whatever brand) speaker of similar size/price. And in white they look actually pretty good in a living room :cool:

The point is - these speakers also perform at wider distances/bigger rooms etc when you don't use critical listening as basis (cause that's what these recommendations are made for). And for sure better as most speakers in this size/price range.

MotuM4

I just upgraded my Focal Shapes 50s to the KH 120 IIs and based on my first hour of listening, I have to say these speakers are quite an upgrade.

Noob question though: How high should I be positioning my speakers on my desk? Not sure if there's a best practice if the tweeters should be the same height as my ears or ?

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the tweeters should be the same height as my ears or ?
Yes, if possible. If they are not the same height, they should be angled up or down to your ears.

MotuM4

I did realize a weird quirk with these speakers when they are set to a slightly higher volume though; using my wireless logitech MX Master 3 mouse's roller scroll gets some form of interference everytime I scroll up / down. Not sure if the rest of you are getting the same issues?

Last edited:

mj30250

I did realize a weird quirk with these speakers when they are set to a slightly higher volume though; using my Wireless logitech mouse's roller scroll gets some form of interference everytime I scroll up / down. Not sure if the rest of you are getting the same issues?
That seems unlikely to have anything to do with the speakers themselves. Perhaps try connecting them via XLR cables if you aren't using them already.

MotuM4

That seems unlikely to have anything to do with the speakers themselves. Perhaps try connecting them via XLR cables if you aren't using them already.
The KH120 IIs' are currently connected with XLR cables.

Just found out that the Logitech K860 keyboard has the issue. It seems like the 2.4Ghz that both the Logitech keyboard / mouse is using (which is connected to a wireless receiver) might be causing the issue?

Edit: Changed my mouse's connection to my PC to connect over bluetooth instead of Wifi and it's still having the same interference issue.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The KH120 IIs' are currently connected with XLR cables.

Just found out that the Logitech K860 keyboard has the issue. It seems like the 2.4Ghz that both the Logitech keyboard / mouse is using (which is connected to a wireless receiver) might be causing the issue?

Edit: Changed my mouse's connection to my PC to connect over bluetooth instead of Wifi and it's still having the same interference issue.
After a gazillion threads for that matter (PC noises) folks should have known by now.
XRL connection performs noise rejection,not immunity.
You need isolation for that.Galvanic.transformers,etc.

EVERY audio device that is about to be connected to a PC should be made as such,that's the thoughtful way to built things for your clients.

SlothRock

What does the connection look like for two KH750's and 120's? I have one right now and my pre-amp left and right go into it, guessing I'd just split L and R to two KH750's?

HQY

What does the connection look like for two KH750's and 120's? I have one right now and my pre-amp left and right go into it, guessing I'd just split L and R to two KH750's?

Attachments

• two750s.jpg
    two750s.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 61

SlothRock

So if I’m reading that right I’d need my preamp to have 4 outs? Two for left and two for right?

HQY

So if I’m reading that right I’d need my preamp to have 4 outs? Two for left and two for right?
you just need a pair of y adaptors like this.

SlothRock

you just need a pair of y adaptors like this.
Ahh ok so if my subwoofers are pretty far apart (6-7ft or so), I’d get a Y adaptor and then another XLR connected to the y adaptor to bridge that gap.

Top Bottom