• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Leaf Audio PA-03 MKII Review (Tube Preampifier)

GShepard

I would be surprised if the Audio Research LR LS22 preamplifier that this is based on measured this badly. If I were considering this preamp I would expect to duplicate the AR preamps as closely as possible.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I would be surprised if the Audio Research LR LS22 preamplifier that this is based on measured this badly.
It doesn't. The moron who copied the design made a huge error in cheapening things. To be fair, there was a major design idiocy in the original which clearly the copier didn't understand, and he made it much, much worse.

It's pretty, though.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Why is there no problem with the other test?
If you mean the "Skunkie" test, he used a different version and reduced output. Performance was still quite poor.

The "machine" used in the tests here wasn't broken in the sense that it performed as the design would indicate: incompetently.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It doesn't. The moron who copied the design made a huge error in cheapening things. To be fair, there was a major design idiocy in the original which clearly the copier didn't understand, and he made it much, much worse.

It's pretty, though.
This "effect" is a source of never-ending amusement (and bemusement) for me when it comes to the proliferation of inexpensive "clones" that are all the rage in certain circles. Y'all've seen them, right? There's a "Marantz 7" preamp clone, an "EAR" phono preamp clone, a "darTZeel" amplifier clone, etc.
Perhaps my life scientist roots show ;) when I suspect that all of these might fail to meet expectations for a clone. :rolleyes:;):facepalm:

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This "effect" is a source of never-ending amusement (and bemusement) for me when it comes to the proliferation of "clones" that are all the rage in certain circles. Y'all've seen them, right? There's a "Marantz 7" preamp clone, an "EAR" phono preamp clone, a "darTZeel" amplifier clone, etc.
Perhaps my life scientist roots show ;) when I suspect that all of these might fail to meet expectations for a clone. :rolleyes:;):facepalm:
But clone sounds kind of genetic, and throws open the door for inaccurate duplication ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does no one suspect that there was a problem with the Amir test or that the machine itself malfunctioned? Please take another test:
Your vid doesn't work; but what do you see that makes you think the testing is faulty?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be surprised if the Audio Research LR LS22 preamplifier that this is based on measured this badly. If I were considering this preamp I would expect to duplicate the AR preamps as closely as possible.
Lots of these clones "economize" to an excessive degree. And I really think a lot of modern tube gear is made to purposely sound "tubey", for those customers under the impression that tubes contribute some desirable sound of their own.

It's a pity though; this one is kind of purty :)

Last edited:

LCM

如果你指的是“Skunkie”测试,他使用了不同的版本并减少了输出。性能仍然很差。

这里测试中使用的“机器”并没有像设计所表明的那样运行:无能。

Translated by moderator:
Yes, I'm using another version too, but with a different volume and some caps. Everything else is the same. The sound quality is good, at least there is no crackling sound. However, electronic tube machines have this performance, which is unmatched by transistor machines. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
是的,我也在用另一个版本,但是体积和一些电容不同。其他一切都一样。音质不错,至少听不到破音。但是,电子管机都有这个性能,是晶体管机无法比拟的。谢谢你!
My apologies, my Chinese is not to the level of your English.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
If you are referring to the "Skunkie" test, he used a different version and reduced the output. Performance is still poor.

The "machine" used in this test did not function as it was designed to: incompetent. Yes, I'm using another version too, but with a different volume and some caps. Everything else is the same. The sound quality is good, at least there is no crackling sound. However, electronic tube machines have this performance, which is unmatched by transistor machines. Thank you!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think he is saying it is extremely difficult to make a transistor based device sound as awful as tubes, but with perseverance…
Keith

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I think he is saying it is extremely difficult to make a transistor based device sound as awful as tubes, but with perseverance…
Keith
Hah!

The sad thing is that one can get excellent performance from tubes, but it takes actual engineering rather than cut'n'paste from a poor design (the Audio Research) to make something even worse.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We all patiently await LCMs measurements.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hah!

The sad thing is that one can get excellent performance from tubes, but it takes actual engineering rather than cut'n'paste from a poor design (the Audio Research) to make something even worse.
I am sure you are right but my one experience ( with valves) left a deep scar, after a time I came to the conclusion, why bother.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure you are right but my one experience ( with valves) left a deep scar, after a time I came to the conclusion, why bother.
Keith
Like I said earlier, I think an awful lot of modern tube stuff is designed to sound "tubey", so people think they're getting their money's worth.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Serge years ago said that a well designed tube amp could have extremely low distortion but then itwould sound just like a transistor amp.
My experience with valves apart from the fire hazard and inherent unreliability was the syrupy sound just awful.
Perhaps if you only listen to solo female voice but even then.
Keith

Top Bottom