• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA entering into administration - comparable to Chapter 11 in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

ribonucleic

As The Psychedelic Furs would say, "Should God Forget"...

Robert Harley, editor of The Absolute Sound stated in March 2016 that MQA "will forever change the way we and future generations consider digital audio".

John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile stated the following about the launch of MQA in December 2014 "In almost 40 years of attending audio press events, only rarely have I come away feeling that I was present at the birth of a new world."

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I highly doubt this. Why would you want to do this yourself? Also given Goldensounds story I don’t think they do it themselves. Besides, those people don’t need to be highly skilled, so won’t be very expensive either.
Labels don't do any encoding for any digital format (they only do physical formats). There are third-parties that do the encoding and sell that to content distributors. In the case of MQA, I see no reason for anyone to step up and do that work. There is just no money in it, nor would they have the expertise MQA has to set the encoding parameters. Of course they provide some tools for small content producers to do the work if they want but not major labels. They won't lift a finger for you. You sign a contract for the content and send them the royalty checks.

As to expense, it all adds up. I know more than one company that produces music content for distributors and the team size and costs are what I stated. You have to receive the content in whatever format, verify it is right (labels routinely send you wrong things), encode it, and then test it on multiple players to make sure it is correct. Then you need to catalog and upload it to Tidal or whoever else is signed up for it. You need to pay rent, facilities cost, servers, back ups, salaries plus benefits, etc. Easily adds up to a $1M a year.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I beg to differ.
On what basis? I know and have run operations like this. And know the companies that do this work personally. I had a team at Microsoft just to ingest metadata for music and format it for our database of CD rips. That cost hell of a lot more than $1M per year and didn't including encoding any content.

bogi

Mqa-cd can play on any CD player.
18bit 96k FLAC was considered for comparison with Tidal streaming format and not MQA-CD format. MQA-CDs are really marginal thing. MQA topic is mostly about streaming.

But if you want to speak about MQA-CD format: On "any" CD player it has effectively lower than 16bit resolution since lowest bit(s) are MQA specific so they only increase noise floor on "any" CD player. MQA-CD as such is very odd idea.

18bit 96k FLAC can be easily converted to full 16bit CD format and burned on CD media. But sticking on CD media in 2023 looks somehow oddly to me. Even if you don't use anything other for file playback, CD players usually play FLACs from USB stick.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wtf is an MQA CD ? Was it not bad enough already ? The CD format is pretty well confined in its limits, it’s good enough for most use cases ( meaning almost every recording ever made ) but you better not touch any of it’s parameters .

To encode the inaudible cr*p above our hearing frequency limits by sacrificing bits that could provide good s/n in the range where we actually hear stuff ?

You can sort of make up justification for the codec ( if you squint and sacrifice to the audiophile fairy) when you have 24 bits as all of the stuff below bit 18 probably is random noise anyway or equivalent to random noise delivered to you from the studio. So you can use this space to fold in stuff that’s going into extended fr response or something and deliver 24/192 ish content in a 24/48 container or something along this line , not that it’s to sound much different .

But with the CD standard ? WTH

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As The Psychedelic Furs would say, "Should God Forget"...
Yep, those are the same guys who hear "dramatic differences" in power cables, digital usb cables, and all the rest of the High End
snake-oil providers.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But 18/96 Flac cannot be played on standard CD player.
I understand what you're saying, that this was the selling point. But honestly, it never impressed me that MQA had backward compatibility. Basically, they argued, it was a format that would give you something like 24/96 quality if fully decoded, in a form that would be basically as good as CD quality if not decoded, in a CD-like data package. But that was only if you accepted that, although it was short on bits in both cases, it made up for it with <insert market-speak that they had no motivation in proving>.

So, the bottom line is that their solution was one that cost the consumer, and was invasive though source, distribution, and playback, for a benefit that was most likely a slightly reduction in data over 24/96k. And possibly something else that was very hard to pin down—or, it was just plain worse than either of those options, no one was sure (hard to be compelling when that happens).

The point about 18/96 is that you could achieve the same with a plan to reduce streaming to 18/96k. If that small savings were truly important in the first place (which it's not, in a world that streams high resolution video in not just movies but pet antics and gym videos all day long to its target audience). :p

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suspect they are doing all the MQA encodings. This takes staff to ingest, encode and QA. Probably 2 to 3 people for that plus equipment, rent, etc. Then you need business development people to convince chip/device makers to implement MQA. And yes, you do need lawyers (inside or outside the company) to negotiate licenses. And executives to run the thing. $6M would be pretty low to run such an operation actually.
And on the device makers aspect, didn't it require some close interaction with the licenser? At least for qualification, but I recall reading something that gave me the impression they had to work closer with the designer, not like just dropping in a chip and getting a checkmark from MQA for the logo. I don't know how true that is, but it made me think that it would be quite a bottle neck if there were a rush to MQA-compatible players.

Peterinvan

out of curiosity how much larger is a comparable flac file vs mqa file of the same song?
I asked ChatGPT:
Using the Tidal app to download music, how much storage is needed on my poratble device for a FLAC file vs. an MQA file

The amount of storage needed for a FLAC or MQA file downloaded through the Tidal app depends on the length and quality of the audio file.
In general, FLAC files are larger in size than MQA files. A typical FLAC file of a 3-minute song with CD-quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) audio can be around 20-30MB, while the same song in MQA format may be around 10-15MB.
However, if the song is available in high-resolution format, such as 24-bit/96kHz or 24-bit/192kHz, then the file size for both FLAC and MQA formats will increase significantly. In this case, a single song in FLAC format can easily take up 100-200MB or more of storage, while the same song in MQA format may require around 50-100MB of storage.
Therefore, if you are planning to download high-quality audio files from Tidal, it is recommended to have enough storage space on your portable device to accommodate the larger file sizes.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Technology is secondary when it comes to getting a format adopted. MP3 rose to nearly 100% domination even though AAC at the time produced much better performance.
I agree. MP4 introduced roughly the same as MP3 but only became viable for audio operations in 1999 then MP3 had been in the market for almost a decade with software support. It was natural for Napster to use it over AAC, which made MP3 the de-facto compression standard. It took a few more years for AAC to be widely used with the introduction of iTunes and USB iPod.

Avp1

Nor can any other flac file… why care about CD players an

And on the device makers aspect, didn't it require some close interaction with the licenser? At least for qualification, but I recall reading something that gave me the impression they had to work closer with the designer, not like just dropping in a chip and getting a checkmark from MQA for the logo. I don't know how true that is, but it made me think that it would be quite a bottle neck if there were a rush to MQA-compatible players.

They followed Sony with SACD rules prohibiting digital output of fully decoded stream. Only analogue output was allowed.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Better not mention anything about MQA being dead in the roon forum. I just did and had my account suspended for 3 months.. (wtf, without warning)

I had a look through the roon/tidal forum earlier today and was surprised to see no mention of mqa or the bankruptcy.

edit : I posted a comment on the roon/tidal forum and as it’s my first post (signed up in 2019 when first discovered/used roon) it needs checked by a moderator before admitting to the forum so we’ll see what happens.

Certainly a bit weird that there is not a single post regarding mqa on the roon/tidal forum?

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I asked ChatGPT:
Using the Tidal app to download music, how much storage is needed on my poratble device for a FLAC file vs. an MQA file

The amount of storage needed for a FLAC or MQA file downloaded through the Tidal app depends on the length and quality of the audio file.
In general, FLAC files are larger in size than MQA files. A typical FLAC file of a 3-minute song with CD-quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) audio can be around 20-30MB, while the same song in MQA format may be around 10-15MB.
However, if the song is available in high-resolution format, such as 24-bit/96kHz or 24-bit/192kHz, then the file size for both FLAC and MQA formats will increase significantly. In this case, a single song in FLAC format can easily take up 100-200MB or more of storage, while the same song in MQA format may require around 50-100MB of storage.
Therefore, if you are planning to download high-quality audio files from Tidal, it is recommended to have enough storage space on your portable device to accommodate the larger file sizes.
Your honor, that is complete bullshit.

Also, I used ChatGPT:
mqa1.png

mqa2.png

mqa3.png

mlp1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom