• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA entering into administration - comparable to Chapter 11 in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As reported here

"Following the recent positive reception to MQA’s latest technology (SCL6), there has been increased international interest in buying MQA Ltd. At the same time, MQA’s main financial backer is seeking an exit. In order to be in the best position to pursue market opportunities and expedite this process, the company has undergone a restructuring initiative, which includes entering into administration and is comparable to Chapter 11 in the US.

During this process, MQA continues to trade as usual alongside its partners.

We won't be commenting further while negotiations take place."

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
7haxl3.jpg

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read it like this:

"We launched yet another irrelevant feature but it does not matter: the guys who paid our bills got out of this sinking ship and now we are for sale. From now on we cannot pay our bills ourselves, so we will not comment further until someone else buys and saves us again."

Good luck trying to sell this "important" IP to someone else!

Last edited:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does MQA brings anything to the audio world?
After reading many threads about it I have some doubts.
There are many industry standards (Dolby, THX, Apple, mp3 formats...) that are sufficient for home audio streaming.

After AURO, it is MQA that fills for bankruptcy.
Who is the next one?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is surprising they can't get their expenses under control. I used to wonder how software companies go bankrupt... Once the software is "done" it costs nothing to produce as many copies as you can sell.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is surprising they can't get their expenses under control. I used to wonder how software companies go bankrupt... Once the software is "done" it costs nothing to produce as many copies as you can sell.

That is a very limited view of the software industry. Developers are always working on upgrades, additional features and functionality, bug fixes, support services, etc. You don't just write a program and sell it. If that were true we'd all be running DOS 1.0.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is software is never “done.” That’s why it’s called soft.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The thing is software is never “done.” That’s why it’s called soft.

Explains why MQA is a half-baked solution looking for a problem

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Does MQA brings anything to the audio world?
After reading many threads about it I have some doubts.
There are many industry standards (Dolby, THX, Apple, mp3 formats...) that are sufficient for home audio streaming.

After AURO, it is MQA that fills for bankruptcy.
Who is the next one?
I mean... who'd be next in line with irrelevant, pointless, proprietary "technology"?
I - honestly - don't have an inkling.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean... who'd be next in line with irrelevant, pointless, proprietary "technology"?
I - honestly - don't have an inkling.
Zuckerburg tried to destroy Facebook with his Meta dream. Evidently the investors read him the riot act before it all went belly up.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Zuckerburg tried to destroy Facebook with his Meta dream. Evidently the investors read him the riot act before it all went belly up.
Meta was my first thought... athough a little off of the MQA axis, by and large.
I'm not sure that the verdict is in yet on Meta. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meta was my first thought... athough a little off of the MQA axis, by and large.
I'm not sure that the verdict is in yet on Meta. ;)
To my knowledge there were massive layoffs. But who knows. The dream may yet be burning!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
To my knowledge there were massive layoffs. But who knows. The dream may yet be burning!
That is true (two rounds, at the moment -- I think). But the doors are still open and the lights are still on.
Of course, Elon Musk may have taken their sink.

221026151430-elon-musk-entering-twitter-hq-1026-screenshot.jpg

ahem.

It's hard to keep one's foundering tech companies straight without a scorecard!
;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is true (two rounds, at the moment -- I think). But the doors are still open and the lights are still on.
Of course, Elon Musk may have taken their sink.

221026151430-elon-musk-entering-twitter-hq-1026-screenshot.jpg

ahem.

It's hard to keep one's foundering tech companies straight without a scorecard!
;)
Well, I wouldn't know how to pilot a $44 billion company to $20 billion. OK, I could figure out a way :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom