• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is the 4.4mm headphone out balanced? Sure SMSL says it is in the manual.
There are no two sets of specs for the two headphone outputs, which means they carry the same signal, which means the headphone output is single-ended only:
202208311427565378__01.jpg

SiW

There are no two sets of specs for the two headphone outputs, which means they carry the same signal, which means the headphone output is single-ended only:
View attachment 265069
Thanks for confirming - too good to be true! Can I rig up the TRS outputs to give balanced output for my balanced headphones?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not in a way that would be easy and give you any advantage over the single ended output. Do you not get enough volume, why do you need balanced output?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for confirming - too good to be true! Can I rig up the TRS outputs to give balanced output for my balanced headphones?
Sure you could do TRS out into a balanced headphone Amp and then to your headphones.
But if you expect anything sound quality wise going from an SE to a Bal headphone Amp, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

A balanced headphone Amp helps extract the maximum output power given a limited supply voltage. It does not increase sound quality.

SiW

Sure you could do TRS out into a balanced headphone Amp and then to your headphones.
But if you expect anything sound quality wise going from an SE to a Bal headphone Amp, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

A balanced headphone Amp helps extract the maximum output power given a limited supply voltage. It does not increase sound quality.
Many thanks

It was more around if I should use my balanced cable or SE cable for my HD58X phones.

jsz

this is the best all in one dac+amp in the price range; better than topping dx3 pro+ or fiio k7

Seems weaker for power vs DX3 Pro+

Edit: K7 also has more power when using balanced output, but its weaker than both C200 and DX3 PRO+ otherwise.

Last edited:

Ariamella

Got my C200, it sometimes randomly stops outputting sound until I power cycle it, any idea what's wrong with it?

yvrmike

Years ago, I bought a Schiit Bifrost, my first discrete DAC. It ran (and continues to) but was an improvement over what I was listening with.

Then a couple of years ago, thanks to this place picked up a Topping E30 to drive my old FMJ stereo amp with my home office computer, making pandemic work from home quite nice.

Having recently learned my significant other's office isn't ever returning "post-pandemic," and because I often like running the sound a little loud, I picked up one of these to drive headphones off my Linux machine(s) as the C200 seemed to hit the right price-performance spot for me here in Canada.

Wow. Even my decades-old MDR-7506 sound better than they have in ages. And, peace at home.

Naturally, I'm looking to upgrade phones now, sigh...

From a lurker, my thanks to you Amir, and to the many interesting forum contributors.

Last edited:

ironwolf60

Seems weaker for power vs DX3 Pro+

Edit: K7 also has more power when using balanced output, but its weaker than both C200 and DX3 PRO+ otherwise.

c200 has better remote control, better input and output ports, internal low noise power supply. this is better than more power (i use low gain anyway, but high is enough for most devices)

Eulipian

On the C200, it doesn't matter. Both cables (and outputs) will give you the same sound quality and volume.
View attachment 265069

I appreciate your explanations on this point of "balanced output" vs. "balanced headphone output" here (and in other threads) and the implications for low impedence HF. I have the C200 and think it's a way better deal than the M500 MKIII, which uses the same terminology but also does not offer balanced headphone output. As far as audible differences between the 2 units there don't seem to be any based on @amirm 's testing, and what we're paying for with the M500 MKIII is the novel form factor, prettier display and the MQA (which I don't care about). Maybe reviews could note when the mfr uses the "balanced" descriptor, but the HF outs are delivering the same power. Or, now that I understand it better, maybe I should just read the specs myself? :)

jsz

c200 has better remote control, better input and output ports, internal low noise power supply. this is better than more power (i use low gain anyway, but high is enough for most devices)

Internal PSU is a con to me. There's countless threads here of Chinese gear (including topping) just randomly dying out via internal PSU. I refuse to spend $80+ USD sending the unit back to China for warranty purposes if anything were to happen within that first year.

With external, you don't really have to worry about the power supply shorting out or faulting as time goes on.. just need to find a replacement unit of similar voltage/amps.

I also don't see how internal is "better".. External nullifies any interference/noise innately lol.

You said best. I'm just here to argue that may be subjective, especially in other areas.

Edit: I also noticed this device only runs in USB1.1 without driver (potential latency?). I for one am not installing Chinese drivers to get full functionality/USB2.0 Spec. To each their own.

Last edited:

SlamTaz

Internal PSU is a con to me. There's countless threads here of Chinese gear (including topping) just randomly dying out via internal PSU. I refuse to spend $80+ USD sending the unit back to China for warranty purposes if anything were to happen within that first year.

With external, you don't really have to worry about the power supply shorting out or faulting as time goes on.. just need to find a replacement unit of similar voltage/amps.

I also don't see how internal is "better".. External nullifies any interference/noise innately lol.

You said best. I'm just here to argue that may be subjective, especially in other areas.

Edit: I also noticed this device only runs in USB1.1 without driver (potential latency?). I for one am not installing Chinese drivers to get full functionality/USB2.0 Spec. To each their own.

im on windows 11 and the c200 i got works on usb 2.0 without any issues out-of-the-box. it's possible that i got one that's got the latest drivers, i don't know.

also, im not sure I understand why you're averse to installing chinese drivers, isn't it that the pre-installed drivers are the same?

jsz

im on windows 11 and the c200 i got works on usb 2.0 without any issues out-of-the-box. it's possible that i got one that's got the latest drivers, i don't know.

also, im not sure I understand why you're averse to installing chinese drivers, isn't it that the pre-installed drivers are the same?

The default "driver" is just a basic Microsoft driver. not the same as the SMSL one.

SMSL claims the device only works in 1.1 mode without driver per marketing material.

If the windows basic driver can provide a full 2.0 link speed, there is clearly no issue.. in which case we can disregard that last point.

Example:

Attachments

• fjdfk.png
    fjdfk.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 61NaCQ2epSL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    61NaCQ2epSL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

ironwolf60

i think internal is a plus for this price range - for example the Topping external PSU feels so cheap i think they get any phone charger they have available and send it
at least the c200 has a proper audio power supply
and it's not "chinese driver", the device uses a XMOS driver which is standard for all usb audio devices

Top Bottom