• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
This is not true with the salon2 and I would guess other systems/speakers that are revealing. The old classic rock that we grew up listening on CDs on lower fidelity equipment back in the day, sound good then but now sound pretty bad. For example Van Halen…most of the recordings are not good and thus are nearly unlistenable.

The remastered ones where the recording is good sound better. The source is key and has to be pretty good…otherwise its the old garbage in garbage out.
Ah, now I see what you are saying. I fully misunderstood your comments. Indeed, the Salon 2s are ruthlessly revealing. Bad recordings sound BAD. And many rock recordings are definitely BAD. Only sounds good on the FM radio :cool:

What I thought you were saying is that the Salons are good for a particular type of music genre only, which of course I fully disagree with (and I know you do also)

Thanks for the clarification

Last edited:
Reactions: Lsc

Holmz

Major Contributor
Exactly. I am one of those folks that believes (strongly) that the most important link in the chain is the transducer.
You are not alone.

Put 80% of your funds there (if not more!). If ya don’t get the transducer right, nothing else matters.
At some point the cross over and cabinet make difference.
I know I am a bit biased as I like speakers with a nice step function response, and the impulse response to also have a single peak and not a saw tooth of them.

All that to say, you don’t have to spend so much on amplification and source to get incredible performance. Especially with the new breed of Class D (Purify, Hypex, etc) which offer outstanding performance for the dollar. So, if I do anything new, will likely be one of the new gen switching designs, likely Purify. But will first try the Simaudio and see how it goes. For the money, the Benchmark also looks very good.

As to the ATI vs the Simaudio, not a surprise at all to me that the Simaudio outperformed the ATI. Especially after i clearly heard the ATI run out of steam while driving the Salon 2s during my recent audition. And also my own personal experience with Simaudio. They are very high current amps that can handle difficult speaker impedances.
You have a very different opinion of Wilson than I do … they measure poorly and those issues are clearly audible. But, no doubt a lot of folks like Wilson, more power to em (albeit one of the poorest values in all of HEA … you are paying big bucks for a name and cabinet jewelery, but they are very well made, no doubt about it). I will say Wilson has one of the best marketing departments around. Very savvy folks ;)

But to be fair, and as I mentioned previously, my recent audition of the DAWs was pleasant, and I could see how some would like the sound (better than previous Wilsons I have heard for sure). But, they definitely are not flat, see below. Serious BBC dip going on here, amongst other issues. I would take the Revel 328Be for only $16k vs the ~$40k DAWs any day of the week, have a much better speaker (if one values accuracy) and huge chunk of change left over for room treatment and electronics. As always, YMMV

From the Stereophile review of the DAW:
View attachment 262616

Step response is not exactly text book.
1675629956208.jpeg

The impedance might stress one or two amps.
1675630020838.jpeg

Reactions: MKR

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My advice is, people should think twice before painting all others in their image.

I've learned to never depend on any audiophile who declares "I've found my endgame speaker!"

Most of us have felt that at some point in the past...for some amount of time. But audiophiles gonna audiophile.

The only time I could evaluate an audiophile as having found his end-game speaker is once that audiophile is dead. Then, if he hadn't changed speakers: "Well, I guess he was right." Until then, I'm suspicious. :)

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
…but what would say of the Salon2 step reponse? (from Stereophile’s review)

View attachment 262620
Step response is very controversial, and personally, one of the few measurements I don’t put much stock into, as I have never been able to correlate poor step response to poor loudspeaker performance (subjective listening sessions), and vice versa. Maybe just my lack of “golden ears”, but doesn’t mean much to me.

From the great Dr Toole on step response in a 1986 paper:
"The advocates of accurate waveform reproduction, implying both accurate amplitude and phase responses, are in a particularly awkward situation. In spite of the considerable engineering appeal of this concept, practical tests have yielded little evidence of listener sensitivity to this factor...the limited results lend support for the popular view that the effects of phase are clearly subordinate to amplitude response."

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I've learned to never depend on any audiophile who declares "I've found my endgame speaker!"

Most of us have felt that at some point in the past...for some amount of time. But audiophiles gonna audiophile.

The only time I could evaluate an audiophile as having found is end-game speaker is once that audiophile is dead. Then, if he hadn't changed speakers: "Well, I guess he was right." Until then, I'm suspicious. :)
LOL, well said … ashamed to admit it, but you probably just described me

Emlin

The only time I could evaluate an audiophile as having found is end-game speaker is once that audiophile is dead. Then, if he hadn't changed speakers: "Well, I guess he was right." Until then, I'm suspicious. :)
I find the acoustics of coffins less than pleasing.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
@MKR Enjoying reading your journey here, the hunt is sometimes more fun than the kill

I must say I approach home audio a bit differently. Iam fortunate to have a reasonable sized place, and have ended up with a few different systems, including bedrooms and study, with 2 more compex setups in a sitting room and a multipurpose HT area. All very different systems with different sound/strategy etc., 5 of us in the house. I also change each setup every couple of years- not because Iam not happy, but to try something else. All part of the hobby aspect I guess. With ASR influence I have only 1 passive and 4 actice setups curently! While I could buy highend expensive speakers, not sure that I want to.

Lsc

The only time I could evaluate an audiophile as having found his end-game speaker is once that audiophile is dead. Then, if he hadn't changed speakers: "Well, I guess he was right." Until then, I'm suspicious. :)
This is just a figure of speech and you are absolutely right. I don’t know about other folks but to those who work for a living and aren’t rich…this was what I said to my wife to convince her to spend her bonus on my salon2. Although she probably took it with a grain of salt as her response was didn’t you say the F228Be was your end game speaker and you weren’t going to buy anything else? :D I must have said, this component is my last purchase a dozen times lol.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@MKR Enjoying reading your journey here, the hunt is sometimes more fun than the kill

I must say I approach home audio a bit differently. Iam fortunate to have a reasonable sized place, and have ended up with a few different systems, including bedrooms and study, with 2 more compex setups in a sitting room and a multipurpose HT area. All very different systems with different sound/strategy etc., 5 of us in the house. I also change each setup every couple of years- not because Iam not happy, but to try something else. All part of the hobby aspect I guess. With ASR influence I have only 1 passive and 4 actice setups curently! While I could buy highend expensive speakers, not sure that I want to.
Indeed the journey has been a blast. I fully expect will be some level of let down and maybe PTSD for a time after I have made the “kill” :p

As to purchasing ”HEA” speakers (whatever that means exactly), you certainly don’t have to do so! If you are happy with what you have, why bother? And if you have seen my other posts, I am currently enjoying a system that cost a grand total of about $1k (not including the >20 yr old Onkyo receiver) and it is fully satisfactory, even vs all the megabuck gear I have heard recent weeks.

Lsc

Ah, now I see what you are saying. I fully misunderstood your comments. Indeed, the Salon 2s are ruthlessly revealing. Bad recordings sound BAD. And many rock recordings are definitely BAD. Only sounds good on the FM radio :cool:

What I thought you were saying is that the Salons are good for a particular type of music genre only, which of course I fully disagree with (and I know you do also)

Thanks for the clarification
I can see why you thought that from how I wrote it. Yes we are on the same page now.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed the journey has been a blast. I fully expect will be some level of let down and maybe PTSD for a time after I have made the “kill” :p

As to purchasing ”HEA” speakers (whatever that means exactly), you certainly don’t have to do so! If you are happy with what you have, why bother? And if you have seen my other posts, I am currently enjoying a system that cost a grand total of about $1k (not including the >20 yr old Onkyo receiver) and it is fully satisfactory, even vs all the megabuck gear I have heard recent weeks.
Having worked selling home audio for 9 years and then repairing mechatronics for another 15 years I found that my gear flipping exhaustion worked up to the degree that I wanted something more serious and better sounding so I made a KEF transmission line cabinet with tri'amp'ed active X-over c/w Altec Lansing horns and tangerine compression drivers. That solved the long term issue of constantly flipping through speakers every 4 to 12 months dependent on sales contests that I won etc. There was a couple of times where I won multiple pairs of speakers. Like... I had a delivery to my home address of 15 pair of RFT Classic BR-26 and on another date I had 3 pair of MB Quart 280 speakers delivered to my home address that was won in another sales contest. The MB Quart I sold in the local newspaper and the 15 pair of RFT was deemed a conflict of interest in selling them in the local newspaper so the business bought them from me and I was paid out in cheque form. Flipping gear can become exhausting and finding a end game speaker that satisfies your itch is critical and enables you to get accustomed to a good pair of speakers and stop the cycling through speakers. :D

benanders

Great question and thoughts. Both are important, objective and subjective, and I depend upon both to provide the full picture of loudspeaker capability. As we all know well, there are those that throw the baby out with the bath water one direction or the other, become audio “zealots” as a result, and miss the forest for the trees. Blinded by their own bias. Measurements were used extensively in the creation of my short list and make my own “objective” judgement, without them it would have been difficult to create that first list. And primarily in the measurements I am not looking at the subtle/minor, but rather glaring deficiencies in design. I reserve the subtle/minor judgements for the “subjective” (listening) aspect. As to seeing measurements and then being biased during an audition, I don’t think so, but anything is possible. Our brains are tricky beasties. But one thing I have tried to do as much as possible is be honest with myself during this process and recognize/combat those biases at their first appearance, then shut them down. This is critical. Getting a bit psychobabble here, so hopefully you understand what I am trying to say.

And on a more practical note, I also use the measurements to help me predict potential long-term issues with a given loudspeaker. To say, I by no means consider myself to have “golden ears”, especially my 53 yr old ears. And a 1-2 hour (max) listening session at a dealer will not always predict issues that may rear their ugly head only after days/months of listening to said transducers. But looking at the measurements, I may be able to predict potential problem areas up front that may appear to my aging ears only after spending extensive time listening.

All this to say, measurements are an important tool, but only one of the tools, and they must be used correctly and in proper context.

Informative. Measurements helped you build a good list. Good deal.
Measurements are data, not science. And not every implementation of, or extrapolation from, data results in science. Data can also be misleading. This forum could be called “Audio Measurements Review” and it wouldn’t be less accurate than now. ;)
Bias introduced to an assessment is like an auto accident: you can cause it, but once it’s happening, you are not in control of it and you cannot undo it.
Using speaker measurements to predict conceptual issues down the road is not what those data are for, so little more than scheduling witch-hunts, that part.

tjcinnamon

No form of built in adjustment? Ugh. Once again Keith, actives not the only way to skin the cat. And note the Salon 2s do have built in adjustment, as an example, albeit very minimal. Plus there is this cool thing called EQ that you can implement in many different and cost effective ways these days with passive speakers ;)

And again, such a scenario may be possible for folks that live close to said dealer, but I do not. My closest dealer that carries products I am interested in is ~16 hr drive from me! Would you deliver a pair of massive floorstanders to a customer that was a 16hr drive from you? If yes, well, then you are indeed a rare fella (I mean that in a very positive way :))
dang! I only drove 4.5 for mine (9 hours there and back and stayed at my in-laws). So hard to audition in this market. Especially when the speakers are over 100lbs a piece.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
dang! I only drove 4.5 for mine (9 hours there and back and stayed at my in-laws). So hard to audition in this market. Especially when the speakers are over 100lbs a piece.
To be clear, I didn’t make that 16hr drive, I flew! Just trying to make a counterpoint to Keith’s comments :)

benanders

Maybe these would drive the Salon 2s effectively? o_O

Maybe you can garner input on that here:

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
This is what I spent my money on
BTW, There are many TEKTON models
under 4,000 dollars, Built in Provo, Utah.
They many models above 4K also.
You can buy some pretty nice speakers
and not break the bank at TEKTON Design.
10" Drivers are Eminence Bass Drivers and
Mid/Tweeter drivers are SB Acoustic Dimple Tweeters.
The six outer tweeters cover the mid range and the
center tweeter is the tweeter.
Color is Silver Half Dollar.
Custom made for me by Eric Alexander.
What other speaker company will make you a speaker?
Wait time 3 or 4 months.
You posted almost the exact same text on the $4k speaker thread. At least take the time to tailor your response to a different topic (this thread) ;)

I am well aware of Tekton and the design approach is well, strange. Seems like a bunch of drivers thrown willy nilly into large monkey coffin. And the tweeter array concept, I am less than convinced given the reasoning posted on Tekton website, seems like it is just asking for major issues, not to mention a waste of a bunch of nice tweeters. Why not just use a standard midrange like the normal folk? :cool: Not saying it doesn’t work, and there are no doubt many fans (zealots) of Tekton out there, but until I see measurements, which are mostly strangely absent on Mr Alexander’s offerings for such a novel concept as his tweeter array, I am hesitant to take the time to audition them. In all fairness, they were on my short list initially (albeit not the first one published here in this thread months ago), but the more I researched Tekton and given the lack of measurements, the more “nervous” I became, so to speak, so off the list they went.

But, I truly am happy you enjoy them, again many folks do, I just think I will pass.

Thanks

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Maybe you can garner input on that here:

Thanks @benanders … very well aware of that thread, and it is helpful to be sure. It is in fact primarily what inspired me to seek out nuclear power station amps if I go with the Salon 2, along with first hand observing the ATI 6000 struggle (in a relatively small room no less) during my audition.

Certainly I will reach out to that specific thread audience for counsel if my final choice is the Salons (and especially if my Simaudio W5 doesn’t cut the mustard)

database

This is not true with the salon2 and I would guess other systems/speakers that are revealing. The old classic rock that we grew up listening on CDs on lower fidelity equipment back in the day, sound good then but now sound pretty bad. For example Van Halen…most of the recordings are not good and thus are nearly unlistenable. The remastered ones where the recording is good sound better. The source is key and has to be pretty good…otherwise it’s the old garbage in garbage out.

But yes, generally most songs sound very good regardless of genre.
I used to think the garbage in / garbage out idea was 100% true with revealing speakers, but the Ascend ELX Ribbon towers were the first revealing towers where I didn't experience that to the same extent as other revealing speakers. With these speakers I found they were ruthlessly revealing (I realized some of my typical test tracks weren't as well mixed as I thought they were) and at the same time I was still addicted and couldn't stop listening to songs with subpar mixes.

For example in a rock song where the bass is mixed too soft, without extra bass boost with tone controls, I would have a hard time listening to it on a typical neutral speaker because it would just sound too bright and hard to listen to. But on the ELX Ribbon towers, I found myself thinking, "this needs more bass... but the guitars and everything else sound incredible." I haven't heard the Salon2 so I don't know if they would be similar in that aspect to the ELX Ribbon towers or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom