• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would buy a small android phone?

MCH

Major Contributor
Every time I need to change my smartphone is the same drama for me. Not only it is difficult to get small ones, but they keep on growing. And i can see that if i compare my last "smallest i could find" models. :-/
I it one of those things i believe industry is getting wrong and i am firmly convinced someone will realize that making one or two small models will be worth vs having all the publicity as big as possible (the real reason behind the growing smartphone phenomenon??, who knows, but it stinks)
PS: iirc there was already a thread about that

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you give some dimensions as to what you mean?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Something like the Iphone SE, Samsung S7 or Samsung S10e.
S22 and Zenfone 9 are in the ballpark:
Screenshot_20230123-073037.jpg

Last edited:

buz

Forum Donor
Why aren't they made anymore by the big brands? Surely there must be a market for iphone se sized and capable android phones for say 500 dollars or euros?
They are harder to make, hardly competitive (small battery if nothing else) and the market is small)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
there must be a market for iphone se sized and capable android phone
It's rumoured that the iPhone SE will be discontinued soon in favour of the larger models. I don't understand it either. Even the latest iteration of the SE is a good bit bigger than the original version ...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think as people do more with their phones the larger screen is a plus. I do use mine in ways I might otherwise use a tablet. Not ideal, but good enough. I've also used mine with a bluetooth keyboard w/touchpad and cast to my 4k projector. You can use it pretty much like a desktop mini-pc. But only when you are at home or office.

It does seem to me the 6 inch to 6.5 inch screen might be where they land for some time. Some models have seemed to stop there or even go back an eighth or quarter inch.

So yes I want a smaller phone, except when I use it. Sure is nice the screen is bigger. My larger complaint is batteries and a quest for thinness which has gone beyond reason to some inane bragging rights. A 6 inch smartphone isn't a chore to pocket because it is 1 mm too think. It is the 6 inch dimension that is inconvenient. Heck make phones 2 mm thicker and fill it with battery. That is what I'd rather have is more battery even though it weighs more.

Maybe if those large armband smartwatches with big flexible screens become common and affordable we can combine that with a smaller phone. Of course now you have two devices and not one to keep up with and pay attention to.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I hear you, I don’t like the big phones either.
Not Android but small. … iPhone 12, 13 mini etc.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Why do you want a small phone? Is it because the keyboards are too stretched out on larger phones? Because you want it to fit in your pocket? Because larger phones are too heavy?

If the problem is fitting in your pocket, you could consider something like a Samsung Galaxy Flip. It is really small (but thick) when folded, but opens out to a normal sized smartphone screen.

I have a Galaxy Fold 4. When folded, it is narrow and long but thick. I can use the keyboard with one hand. When opened, it is almost tablet-like in size.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Why do you want a small phone? Is it because the keyboards are too stretched out on larger phones? Because you want it to fit in your pocket? Because larger phones are too heavy?

If the problem is fitting in your pocket, you could consider something like a Samsung Galaxy Flip. It is really small (but thick) when folded, but opens out to a normal sized smartphone screen.

I have a Galaxy Fold 4. When folded, it is narrow and long but thick. I can use the keyboard with one hand. When opened, it is almost tablet-like in size.
For my hand size I feel like I can operate a phone around 5 to 5.5 inch better with 1 hand.

Great seemless operability is what separates a great device from an average one imo. A bigger phone feels rather clumsy to me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For my hand size I feel like I can operate a phone around 5 to 5.5 inch better with 1 hand.

Great seemless operability is what separates a great device from an average one imo. A bigger phone feels rather clumsy to me.
But some uses of the phone are handicapped if you only use it one handed. I had the same thought until I had a larger phone and experienced how one handed use was actually restrictive. Handy for some purposes yet the opposite for others.

Digby

Major Contributor
But some uses of the phone are handicapped if you only use it one handed.
Such as?

I agree with the OP. Phones that are too big are not ergonomic to use. If I want to do some proper computing (rather than just email/online shopping/apps), then I will use a proper computer of some sort, not a phone.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
5.1 to 5.5 inches would be ideal. 5.8 the absolute max. I have a phone now that is 5.8 and I would rather have something smaller.
Hmmm....had to go measure; the one I use is 6.25 x 3 in overall, fits in most pockets nicely for me....

Top Bottom