• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

derek13

Was there sound quality difference between chromecast 24/96 vs wiim app 24/96?
Not sure there was any noticeable difference but not a scientific test. What I did find was Qobuz within Wiim App was gapless as was Qobuz App on my Ipad but when I used Chromecast from Qobuz App then it wasn’t gapless - tested using old standby of Dark Side Moon track 1 to track 2 transition.
Anyway I prefer to use Qubuz within WiiM App rather than native Qobuz App on iphone/ipad since then I don’t need to keep my iphone/ipad running to play music.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Amazon Music doesn't support hi-res over chromecast, so result had to be not good.

In Qobuz I got maximum -101 dB difference between chromecast vs native from WiiM app for 96/24 song.

Reactions: MrX

derek13

Noticed another update for WiiM Mini but not for Pro which has none since 12/12. Is this because with fewer units out there the number of reported issues is smaller or is it because larger memory and faster processor of the Pro avoids some of the problems? I thought they would want to maintain common code base.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Im still waiting for a reliable comparison between this WiiM pro and the Bluesound node .

I guess that all hifimagazines would say that the most expensive are the best , but I hope that we soon will have objective measurements of the WiiM pro.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Im still waiting for a reliable comparison between this WiiM pro and the Bluesound node .

I guess that all hifimagazines would say that the most expensive are the best , but I hope that we soon will have objective measurements of the WiiM pro.
Soon. I'm just finishing them up, then handing the unit off to the main reviewer.

morillon

Major Contributor
Hi
someone uses deezer "hifi" with the chromecast pro?...
;-)

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I configured Tidal on Wiim Pro, the sound is interrupted.

What can I do ?

mjgoins

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I discovered you can stream the Toslink input of the Pro to another device, such as the Mini, over wifi, by grouping the two devices. This gets around some of the multi-device restrictions on streaming services. There is a significant delay when watching videos though, as expected.

EDIT: I had a computer hooked up to the Pro, which is obviously a very strange setup that most people won't want to do, but at least it's an option.

Last edited:

pieterv1

Any Plex/Plexamp users out here? Could they test a few things with the WiiM Pro via Chromecast? :)
- Up to 192/24? (not that I have a lot of files in this quality, but I just want to be sure of bit-perfect playback)
- Gapless?
- Alac support?

Thanks!

ModDIY

I think you can try to provide more details here about the issue.

When Tidal files are 24bit, the sound cuts out every 1-2 seconds.

I connected the Wiim on a network cable. Now if I look in the settings , I see Wi-Fi connection, but not sure if it's wired.

With the audio file, it's written MASTER, but I didn't activate MAQ in the configuration because my amplifier does not support it.

ModDIY

New, with the optical cable there is no problem, it is only with the coaxial output.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's wired when you can see only ip and mac.

Do you have both coax and toslink configured the same way in WiiM app?

You can activate MQA even if your DAC cannot decode MQA files. WiiM will do the first unfold up to 88.2 / 96 kHz.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New, with the optical cable there is no problem, it is only with the coaxial output.
what is the sample rate? 44.1, 48, 96, 192?

What cable are you using for the coaxial? Expecially if you are at the higher end of sample rates, you should be using digital audio coax cable not analogue audio RCA.

ModDIY

It's wired when you can see only ip and mac.

Do you have both coax and toslink configured the same way in WiiM app?

You can activate MQA even if your DAC cannot decode MQA files. WiiM will do the first unfold up to 88.2 / 96 kHz.
Yes I see only ip anf mac.

Yes I configured the same way fir coax anc toslink.

Ok I will activate the MQA. I'm not at home now..

Top Bottom