• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 471 90.9%

• Total voters

jj-wohlgemuth

I'm getting the app crashing on macOS Ventura and Windows 11 as soon I input the MA1 mic serial number, so it's accurate, at least for me.
Sorry to hear that. We’ll try as best as we can to answer your questions and help solve your individual technical issues if you contact us via an official channel ( for example [email protected] ).

For everyone else: If your system fulfills the system requirements of version 1.5.3 I recommend trying it out on your machine and getting in touch with Neumann via email or phone in case you experience any issues.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann's in the house ;) Also got delivery of the Grovemade Desk Shelf.

View attachment 250676

View attachment 250677

View attachment 250678

View attachment 250679

Definitely a big improvement in sound compared with my Dynaudio BM5 MKIII. Sound stage and stereo image is crazy with the Neumanns compared with the Dynaudio's. These are keepers for sure. Also got the MA1 mic but calibration is going to take a few days, after Christmas most likely and I have 2 weeks vacation starting on the 26th ;)
Beautiful set-up. I can only dream of my desk looking that clean, uncluttered and symmetrical.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Sorry to hear that. We’ll try as best as we can to answer your questions and help solve your individual technical issues if you contact us via an official channel ( for example [email protected] ).

For everyone else: If your system fulfills the system requirements of version 1.5.3 I recommend trying it out on your machine and getting in touch with Neumann via email or phone in case you experience any issues.
I already emailed you guys twice and no response yet.

DevinCortno

Somewhere in the middle because this depends also on shape - how DI response rises. Fast step boosted with a hump could split audio range into two parts to off-axis especially if listening room absorbs high mid...high frequencies.
View attachment 251286
Of course "strength" of directivity also matters. DI can be high at HF if bass range is directive, though that is rare in commercial audio. Smooth DI is needed if listening position could be anywhere - very far, much off-axis, behind a corner or in different room. Room acoustics should be smooth with low flutter echo (=low EDT) in all cases.

LS50 Meta is closer to average in this group. Not (too) steep tilt in DI.
View attachment 251285

Thank you, that's very helpful... I am looking to upgrade my center channel to a bookshelf type speaker, and am having a hard time deciding what to get. I seem to prefer Neumann sound very much over Genelec... maybe this is why. But KEF is very tempting as well. It's good to see it falls into the middle ground.

I generally prefer sharper imaging speakers - they may be "less involving" with a less expansive soundstage but I like the stronger stereo effect. KH 150 is expensive but seems like it'd very capable as a center. R3 is about to be replaced and the height is a factor. LS50 Meta is excellent and great form factor, but I have doubts about its headroom for a center channel application.. Genelec G Four is less than 8040 in my country, but 6 month lead time... hmmm

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
index.php

Just curious, what is the ideal plot supposed to look like?
X8OfeXk.png

wz7SguK.png

Honken

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mhm, the scale is quite different though - and also a bit different between the two in your images.

But I do wonder what the waterfall plot would look like for it's bigger, sealed brother. I don't pay too much attention to the waterfall plot ever myself, but has it ever looked super clean when measured with the Klippel?
There is this from https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studiomonitor-neumann-kh-310-im-test/
1671561739909.png

and the same for the KH150: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/neumann-kh-150-2-wege-nearfield-monitor-im-test/
1671561914290.png

tuga

Major Contributor

tuga

Major Contributor
The ATC SCM20 is also sealed. Can you guess which of the other speakers are sealed ?

c3M88br.png
The ATC SCM20

dfuller

Major Contributor
The ATC SCM20 is also sealed. Can you guess which of the other speakers are sealed ?

c3M88br.png
The ATC SCM20
ATC in general has unusually short decay time in the bass, even with their reflex designs.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you looked at the decay of ported speaker?

Audibility of group delay in bass is disputed, with some x-times cycle rules never affirmed.
Where is the connection to “farting,” honestly? Sounds just clueless.

Check out this video

Please indicate where to listen in this 20 minute video, would not know where to find the point otherwise.

changer

IMO this is the way forward for the next Neumann larger 3 way "slim and vertical" monitor: add 2 woofers to the sides of the KH150, add another amp and crossover points and optimize the design.

View attachment 251330

Only if the side firing woofers were restricted to low/sub-bass. There is a review of KEF LS60, where the subwoofers play up into the 200 Hz zone, that concludes the stereo stage is obscured by this topology. I left it at one of the two LS60 threads and it makes outright sense. There had been another discussion on side-firing subs elsewhere but I do not remember, maybe the D&D 8c DiY clone or Rick’s speaker development thread. Side-firing woofers can introduce soundstage issues to be avoided. Better go with a proper sub at frequencies where omni is assured.

tuga

Major Contributor
Audibility of group delay in bass is disputed, with some x-times cycle rules never affirmed.

Please indicate where to listen in this 20 minute video, would not know where to find the point otherwise.

Sure, I know the mantra,

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You can lead the horse to water but you can’t force it to drink.

tuga

Major Contributor
The KH150 enclosure uses a wooden frame with polycarbonate shells front and back. It's a new cabinet design from Neumann.

Check min 1:50

Doesn't say anything about why it was chosen or of potential benefits (weight and cost?).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Doesn't say anything about why it was chosen or of potential benefits (weight and cost?).
I see no reason why aluminum would work for KH120 and not KH150
I'm assuming it's just too expensive so they used different materials

changer

I frankly have no time to listen through a 20 minute video afterwork. If you wanted to argue, you should make your points more clear.

Top Bottom