• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Richard Nixon is a funny guy. Very interesting in some ways. This is a guy who really did have a presidential election stolen from him by democrats. For the good of the country, despite advice to the contrary, he dropped his objections and conceded the election to Kennedy. He also started affirmative action, and many environmental regulations often attributed to the other party. I think the experience of having that election stolen had a bearing on how he reacted in inappropriate ways in his days as president. He also could be considered one of the most important presidents in history because his overtures to China are what ultimately lead to China becoming the world power economically and otherwise it is today. So he has a bad rep which maybe he doesn't fully deserve. While he had lapses in judgement his actions actually portray someone who was a real patriot and believes in his country as a force for good.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, so three more sequels. That might turn out to be incredibly lucrative. And shows real faith in his product. If this one bombed (which it isn't by all indications) those others would have then been of little value. Hopefully they don't become obsolete technically though I think they might.

OP
B

birdog1960

Richard Nixon is a funny guy. Very interesting in some ways. This is a guy who really did have a presidential election stolen from him by democrats. For the good of the country, despite advice to the contrary, he dropped his objections and conceded the election to Kennedy. He also started affirmative action, and many environmental regulations often attributed to the other party. I think the experience of having that election stolen had a bearing on how he reacted in inappropriate ways in his days as president. He also could be considered one of the most important presidents in history because his overtures to China are what ultimately lead to China becoming the world power economically and otherwise it is today. So he has a bad rep which maybe he doesn't fully deserve. While he had lapses in judgement his actions actually portray someone who was a real patriot and believes in his country as a force for good.
so the movie isn't a western dreck? and The wizard of Oz was about scarecrows, tin men and lions? Animal farm about agriculture? Richard Nixon isn't up for debate here although I couldn't agree less..John Dean says "Hi". G Gordon Liddy says his hands are burning.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
meh, i dodged the first one (and almost all the 3D poop that came with/after it), i think i'll be happier if i miss on the rest, too

Andysu

Major Contributor
Star Wars is among the biggest drek ever created. It's not even sci-fi, it's a bad western set in space.
as huge bigger than the universe fan ? fan ? not sure i am anymore at least originals saw it when it played in that high tech Dolby Stereo in feb 1978
i agree , star wars now today is toxic trash . i have to use the force keep those disney crowds far , far away from me . . .
20th century fox six star wars only that used the LSO . all the other disney star wars never once used the LSO , boo hiss
how many more ?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
perhaps the most memorable for me in the genre https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic&psig=AOvVaw0RlPsY1Us2tciVoCtfslip&ust=1671422304263000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCNjQ3rejgvwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI. but snow Piercer a close second. Hunger games and Star wars a bit less impactful but still there. Avatar 1/2 don't make the list.
I've started that one a few times, but never got thru it.....I wouldn't consider that sci-fi, tho (unless I didn't get far enough thru it?)

OP
B

birdog1960

Have plans to see 3D Imax Sunday. So not welcome news.
I must say never heard that connection with Marley....don't really see it myself that it is a boon to Jamaica.
you mean Marley a boon to Jamaica? He is a source of enormous pride to the people. more than Hussain Bolt imo. In hotel bars you can hear nothing but his songs for an hour or 2. Every cover band and even reggae bands on the charts play his songs. It is actually a bit too much.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you mean Marley a boon to Jamaica? He is a source of enormous pride to the people. more than Hussain Bolt imo. In hotel bars you can hear nothing but his songs for an hour or 2. Every cover band and even reggae bands on the charts play his songs. It is actually a bit too much.
No, jarjar :) Marley there's no doubt.

OP
B

birdog1960

No, jarjar :) Marley there's no doubt.
I don't know that he was the official model for the character. But the character reminded me of him (altho Marley was pretty damn smart) and Jar Jar was clearly meant to be Caribbean, most likely Jamaican as many people are familiar with the place from visits, other movies and Reggae ("Stella got her groove back, James Bond etc).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know that he was the official model for the character. But the character reminded me of him (altho Marley was pretty damn smart) and Jar Jar was clearly meant to be Caribbean, most likely Jamaican as many people are familiar with the place from visits.
When you're as white as George is, perhaps. Reggae is primarily Jamaican afaik, at least originated there. Jarjar was just offensive (but not particularly more than that whole universe portrayed).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, all the movies George did while with his 1st wife, Marcia Lou Griffin, were pretty darn awesome. When he split up with her I'm not sure he made a really good movie again. So the first Indiana Jones moive, the first three Star Wars movies, American Graffiti and THX1138. Those later films that might come close are almost remakes of earlier movies that were good. His wife was an award winning film editor (Taxi Driver and New York, New York among others) and her input on his movies made a big difference it would seem from the results.
I'm not saying he can't make a good movie, he's very good at it IMO. Just not a great scifi writer. I did see THX1138 on release as my first introduction to him, tho. Didn't know about the wife, tho. George has been great in many areas, for sure. I just get a little weird when people promote it as great sci-fi ? :)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw it (sadly not in Dolby Cinema). Visuals are indeed amazing, 10000/10. The environment is just crazy, and the characters are so detailed on the skin that you can even see pores, you almost forget it’s not real people in body paint. The animal designs are equally as amazing.

Story wise is mostly predictable, 7/10.
I saw it mentioned before I saw it, but Spider was indeed an oddly written character and even treated oddly, like just giving him free reign on their ships/boats where he can touch any controls he wanted. Also, the anti-aging liquid (just visually, or actual eternal life?) seemed too low of a price tag, considering inflation for the year 2150+

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw it this afternoon in an IMAX 3D format. I would pretty much just copy MZKM's review. Story was serviceable and I thought the same of the Spider character. It was worth the price of the ticket just visually, and I say that as someone who hates movies that are only notable for special FX and this isn't the case here. It does add to the movie. I and everyone in my group thought it was a little too loud for too long. I also think it could have been easily trimmed 30 minutes without losing anything and it would have been easier to sit through. Or what happened to having intermissions in long movies? There were several scenes showing a sense of wonder that were 5 minutes and could have done as much in 2 minutes or some that were 3 minutes and could have been 90 seconds. Nothing altering anything of significance in the movie and it could have been trimmed by 30 minutes. It does do enough to keep your attention you aren't lamenting its length for reasons of boredom.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe I have terrible luck but the only one time I visited IMAX theater my experience was really really bad. Intelligibility was low, reverberation time seemed way too high for speech dominated content, midrange sounded too harsh, 3D is imo not worth the reduction in peak brightness and worst of all it was way louder than it probably should've been.

Certain private home theater in germany that I also once visited blew IMAX out of the water in every category for me. Way better audio/visuals.

OP
B

birdog1960

Maybe I have terrible luck but the only one time I visited IMAX theater my experience was really really bad. Intelligibility was low, reverberation time seemed way too high for speech dominated content, midrange sounded too harsh, 3D is imo not worth the reduction in peak brightness and worst of all it was way louder than it probably should've been.

Certain private home theater in germany that I also once visited blew IMAX out of the water in every category for me. Way better audio/visuals.
It was definitely less bright than most movies. But other than that, it looked wonderful. I saw it in a conventional theater. I hadn't thought about it. Thought they needed a new lamp.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

I don't think that is surprising. It is much easier to optimize sound and visuals for a handful of people compared to a large audience in a theatre. Just think for a moment the problems with peaks and nulls the poor sound engineer has to deal with, it is impossible to give everyone in the audience the same experience.

Anyway, back on topic. I have a bet with a friend that Avatar will not recover its $2 billion investment, because I would be really happy if this silly Hollywood preachiness is buried forever. So far it looks as if I will lose my bet despite the encouragingly negative reviews here on ASR. I will not be watching it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was definitely less bright than most movies. But other than that, it looked wonderful. I saw it in a conventional theater. I hadn't thought about it. Thought they needed a new lamp.
If you saw 3D in a conventional theater it likely was Real3D. These do look dim with muted colors. Imax and Dolby cinema theaters don't have this problem.

Top Bottom