• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I though of getting this DAC because I only need a 'USB in/ balanced out' DAC. I don't really need the DDC functionality.
But since today's dongle DACs measure similarly good I'm not so sure anymore if this Topping is worth it.

What would the D10b offer that a Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm can't do?
A 4.4mm to XLR cables are similarly expensive as TRS to XLR (about 20€) so I don't see any advantage in connectivity here

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I though of getting this DAC because I only need a 'USB in/ balanced out' DAC. I don't really need the DDC functionality.
But since today's dongle DACs measure similarly good I'm not so sure anymore if this Topping is worth it.

What would the D10b offer that a Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm can't do?
A 4.4mm to XLR cables are similarly expensive as TRS to XLR (about 20€) so I don't see any advantage in connectivity here
That sample rate display is a reason.

That moon drop is quite incredible. Can’t believe digital audio has come this far.

juliangst

That sample rate display is a reason.

That moon drop is quite incredible. Can’t believe digital audio has come this far.
Yeah, the display looks quite nice but I can imagine that it will get annoying after a while. 99% of my music is 44.1kHz anyways
My Smsl Sanskrit also has a screen but I turned it off. I'll use the SMSL for my speaker amp and want an balanced DAC for my headphone amp

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, the display looks quite nice but I can imagine that it will get annoying after a while. 99% of my music is 44.1kHz anyways
My Smsl Sanskrit also has a screen but I turned it off. I'll use the SMSL for my speaker amp and want an balanced DAC for my headphone amp
Horses for courses. I use many different sampling rate sources and want to make sure with the display. Which is actually quite dim enough that I don’t use any dimming strips with it. However I might if start listening in pitch darkness - which sounds great.

Yeah no real reason to get it apart from that.

Herbert

No one? I only need SPDIf. No need of USB besides power.The Es9038 DAC seems
to accept SPDIF directly. But I do not understand from the datasheet whether this happens with the help
of an external microcontroller or if it can be achieved in hardware mode by connecting control pins of the Dac to GND or voltage?
Datasheet can be found here:

Last edited:

juliangst

I‘d just spend 30€ more and get the SMSL D-6 which has all 3 digital inputs and RCA and TRS out. No need to mod and reprogram the entire chip

Herbert

I am used to modding and soldering. I need the tiny enclosure / footprint- it will fit into some Sony-based flagship CD Players from the late eighties that have fairly clean 5V power already on board. No need for volume control, selectable filters or DSD. I only need USB for mixing my documentaries and sometimes music and will use a second Topping for this.

Bafri

Can i use the Topping D10 as a DDC? Im just wonder because does the D10 not use the USB for power?

Audioboxer

Thanks for review and advice everyone, picked up one of these to replace my Zen DAC V2 that is currently just operating in DAC mode due to being connected to a Zen Can. I have no intentions to change away from the Zen Can as of yet, but that might chance in the next year or so.

Am I correct to assume something like this will work fine to go directly from the D10b to the Can? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003909253913.html Should side-step having to use the TRS to XLR adapters which seem to add a lot of bulk. Cable wise at the moment I have a 4.4mm to 4.4mm which goes between the Zen products, and I also have a dual XLR to 4.4mm cable which would work, but Topping adapters needed.

ALaylowguy

Hi, I just purchased a D10B from Shenzhen Audio and I get this problem. When playing music, sometimes I can hear "static" noise, but it went under my radar because I didn't interfere my experience. Yesterday when I open the left right channel test on YouTube, I realize how bad it is. Whenever just one drive plays the noise appeared very loud and clear but when both channels play, it went away almost completely. When I watched normal YouTube videos, the noise didn't show up either. I have tried everything from changing cable, usb port, reinstall USB driver, restart the computer.... but nothing works, the symptom remained. I think the problem is firmware, where my DAC failed to process music signal.
My system is: AMD desktop -> D10B -> SMSL SH8S -> Hifiman HE400SE.
Your opinions are highly appreciated! Thanks!

Audioboxer

DAC is working great for me, as always with DACs, my first tip is go into the driver install folder, then the x64 folder and edit the xml file. For Topping it is called ToppingUsbAudioCpl.xml. FiiO have theirs as do ifi. Turn all the options to visible instead of hidden/auto. Then go to Options -> Streaming and set it to Always On

Screenshot 2022-12-17 102231.png

For anyone using a USB DAC on a PC this will fix 99% of the complaints about popping/timeouts during gaps of time where you are sending no audio to the DAC. Across multiple brands of DACs or DAC/Amps I see reoccurring complaints about popping or sound artefacts when pausing/stopping audio and starting it again. It seems most drivers have way too aggressive sleep modes meaning even if you just momentarily pause a YouTube video or something you might get a nasty pop/click on resuming. Across FiiO/ifi and now Topping I have noticed no overheating/downsides to using 'Always On'.

As for the D10b, already love it more than the Zen DAC.... Keyboard volume knob back in action. As for sound difference, I think I'm noticing some difference, I've done some testing with the D10 hooked up to the Can, prior to hooking up my L50.

What I do have to say for that configuration (D10 to Can) is using the XLR adapters and then using an XLR to 4.4mm cable is a mess at the back. Takes up waaaay too much space, so if I was keeping my Can as the AMP I would definitely be buying that TRS to 4.4mm cable I posted a few replies above.

There is something pleasing about the Orange text display, so I kind of get why Amir always enjoys it in his reviews lol. Only other minor comment is you are obviously getting a budget DAC here with a precision focus on performance that matches and even beats far more expensive DACs. So, no options to dim the screen, change filters or do anything really. Casing is well built, but obviously if you pay 2~3x the price some DACs might aesthetically be a bit fancier.

However, my L50 aesthetically fits with the D10 much better than the Can, and so far I'm feeling there's more than enough power for the Sundara's. I would say if you have even harder headphones to drive something like the A30 pro is probably the sensible move upwards from the L50. Strange the A30 pro is still single ended output at the front, but at the end of the day Topping really seem to get a lot of power out of their single ended. The trade off with balanced out with some other brands in these price brackets is their single ended is really poor (Magnius for example), so these Topping AMPs are good for people who have a collection of headphones, some balanced, some single ended and maintaining performance across all headphones.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
DAC is working great for me, as always with DACs, my first tip is go into the driver install folder, then the x64 folder and edit the xml file. For Topping it is called ToppingUsbAudioCpl.xml. FiiO have theirs as do ifi. Turn all the options to visible instead of hidden/auto. Then go to Options -> Streaming and set it to Always On

View attachment 250581
Little tutorial thread about just this:

Raptorhertz

Hi,
Is it worth switching LM4562 with something better, if only Digital out is used from D10B? I am not using analogue out on it.

Top Bottom