• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's get honest with SPL

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What comes to phone apps... Decibel X on my Xiaomi 10 required +12dB of calibration, so be careful with those. ;)

that's because most microphones on a phone are C-weighted by default. I experienced similarily weird calibration stuff when i wasn't using relatively high frequencies.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you measure, what is the SPL at your listening position?
I have to compare your answers, it's strange to me that someone would reach 96dB... I read what Amir wrote about Metas not being happiest little speaker at 96dB, but even approaching 90dB and the sound is overwhelming. Does anyone really ever listen at 96 or over?
96dB anechoic @1M and 96dB in-room at LP (Let say 3M for instance) are indeed two different things...

But AFAIC, my regular SPL for most critical listening is about 80dB+ at LP. Could be 10dB lower for chilling out, and 10dB over for loud, physical listening.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Triplett 3550 reports 10-15dbA more than 3-4 apps I have tested with my Samsung phone.
I wouldn't trust such an app with my hearing health.

hege

Forum Donor
C weighted and Slow response is the general used for understanding averages right?

There is no "general" for these kinds of topics. Unless you specify what weighting and measurement method you use, we can only guess..

But AFAIC, my regular SPL for most critical listening is about 80dB+ at LP. Could be 10dB lower for chilling out, and 10dB over for loud, physical listening.
... just like in this case.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On my desktop system where I mostly listen to music in the background while working or surfing the web for many hours a day it is typically 60-80 dB, on my main system where I concentrated listen to music for a few hours in the week it is around 75-95 dB (both measured at the LP with C weighting).

hege

Forum Donor
In case it wasn't obvious enough, I'm talking average dBSPL. "Method" is using a calibrated UMIK at LP with REW SPL Meter.
Sorry but as a fellow REW user too this does not tell me which switches you actually used (A/Z, F/S). REW users could simply quote LAeq or LCeq values and it would be crystal clear. Those values can differ 15dB for same material. Or on other bassless material they can be identical. So all these comparison threads are quite fruitless. That's why I would advocate using A-weighting between comparing user loudness - of course it doesn't hurt to post all weightings and even peak for completness..

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
I'd guess it's your measurement technique.

In any event, your ears are distorting badly by 96dB, and you're soon to have hearing loss. So those might be the more important factors.
I don't need to do that. I just do a sweep 40-20kHz sine that last 25s and record it. You will see you can't hold 1:1 ratio most of the time -1dB source at the same frequency. I do it with my monitor and mic.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't need to do that. I just do a sweep 40-20kHz sine that last 25s and record it. You will see you can't hold 1:1 ratio most of the time -1dB source at the same frequency. I do it with my monitor and mic.
Let's review your measuring technique. You have the mic firmly clamped in a good mic stand?

kongwee

Major Contributor
Let's review your measuring technique. You have the mic firmly clamped in a good mic stand?
Yes, I camp my mic on stand. Heavy round plate base. Tight fix non suspension holder.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I camp my mic on stand. Heavy round plate base. Tight fix non suspension holder.
I get maybe +/-0.2dB repeatability doing that. Of course I'm also time gating to minimize the effect of reflections.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kongwee

Major Contributor
Well, you do it your way. I don't get it.
It is easy. Record the first sweep on one track, than record the second sweep with -1dB on second track. They are side by side. Manually adjust both of them to the same frequency at the same timeline. You can read both meter at once.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm usually around 70 using my old trusty 40 year old analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Getting up up over 80 starts to really get loud and in the 90s is just getting crazy. I'm not talking peaks though. Last time I had my hearing checked and it was in extreme detail, I had pretty good hearing. It has been about 3 years or so. I try to protect my hearing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is easy. Record the first sweep on one track, than record the second sweep with -1dB on second track. They are side by side. Manually adjust both of them to the same frequency at the same timeline. You can read both meter at once.
OK. If your method gives reliable results, I won't argue.

Top Bottom