• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@TimW Agreed and this is direction I am leaning (directivity control). D&D and Kii off the list primarily due to output limitations, otherwise they would still be on short list :). Thank you!

FYI Kii just cut the prices of the Three and BXT because of savings from a new, more optimised factory in Germany. The Three + BXT is now around the top of your budget

Reactions: MKR

Zog

Howdy All,

Just found this site few weeks ago, been a lurker since then, trying to learn, my first post here.

Been in the audiophile "game" for decades, been through many systems, had some great ones to be sure, but always felt I was missing something. NEVER considered active speakers until I started researching all the excellent material and forum on this site. Seems to be a no-brainer based upon reviews, but not being able to play with amps is a strange thought to be sure :) ... But no matter to me ... If I can get "end game" sound with active speakers, then so be it, I am agnostic!

Based upon all the reading on this site, my short lists are below ...

Active short list:
Genelec 8351B + W371A
Genelec 8361A + W371A
D&D 8C (plus subs?)
Neumann KH420 (plus subs?)
Kii Three + BXT

Passive short list:
KEF Blade Two Meta
Magico A5
Revel Ultima Salon 2
Revel Performa F228Be
Perlisten S7t
Vivid Audio Kaya 45

Note for this kind of money, of course I plan to listen to as many of these systems as possible, but would like to shrink the list a bit if possible, and that's where I need y'all's kind assistance.

My room is roughly 20'x40', with 10' vaulted ceilings. Will be primarily for music, but definitely plan to pull double duty also for home theater. Music preferences are everything (literally) except country (yuck).

So ... Opinions on the above choices? Anything not on the lists that I should consider?

Thanks all, really appreciate your help on my quest.

MKR
If you are looking for timbral accuracy then audition magicos. I will never go back to ported speakers. Not particularly fussy in setup, but they do like a lot of power.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
FYI Kii just cut the prices of the Three and BXT because of savings from a new, more optimised factory in Germany. The Three + BXT is now around the top of your budget
@Ilkless Thanks for the info. These got dropped from my short list not due to budget, but output level

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If you are looking for timbral accuracy then audition magicos. I will never go back to ported speakers. Not particularly fussy in setup, but they do like a lot of power.
@Zog Magico (A5) was on the short list! But, the Magico models I am really interested in (M series) and that I believe compete with others on my short list (that are much lower cost), are sadly far above my budget :(

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ilkless Thanks for the info. These got dropped from my short list not due to budget, but output level

Ah, had thought your output level concerns applied to the Three itself, rather than even the Three + BXT. It's a fair concern because of the small, single midrange driver that has no waveguide loading.

D

Deleted member 48726

Don't know what the prices translate to or if you can buy it where you live but there is a Danish award winning speaker company called System Audio and the have won several awards for their active speaker line.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Don't know what the prices translate to or if you can buy it where you live but there is a Danish award winning speaker company called System Audio and the have won several awards for their active speaker line.
Thanks, look to be nice speakers no doubt, but not up to the level of most on my short list. Mainly to say, certainly competent, but not what I would call “end game”

Last edited:

benanders

No one has given within-budget suggestions for line array speakers yet. Not sure LA’s would meet your expectations for pinpoint imaging, but - the Carver ALS was subjectively reviewed on ASR (among other places) some years back:

Perhaps most importantly, the company was offering to fly serious prospective buyers out to WA to audition the speaker on-site. Not sure that policy “still flies” now.

I’ve never heard the speakers, but they come in well under your budget and well over your output needs.

If I heard them and still felt like a prospective buyer, I’d want some form of measurable assurance they (or ANY speaker model) would have serviceable parts in production for the foreseeable future.

I know of a guy whose end-game speakers are still Snell A7’s, and he scrutinizes their play time like a prison warden, for fear of irreplaceable parts breaking, ha!
Don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but, a $20-30k model staying assuredly serviceable for at least the next decade would be no small part of my consideration in such investment. Lest misfortune strike and “end-game” prematurely take on a very different meaning than you intend :)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
No one has given within-budget suggestions for line array speakers yet. Not sure LA’s would meet your expectations for pinpoint imaging, but - the Carver ALS was subjectively reviewed on ASR (among other places) some years back:

Perhaps most importantly, the company was offering to fly serious prospective buyers out to WA to audition the speaker on-site. Not sure that policy “still flies” now.

I’ve never heard the speakers, but they come in well under your budget and well over your output needs.

If I heard them and still felt like a prospective buyer, I’d want some form of measurable assurance they (or ANY speaker model) would have serviceable parts in production for the foreseeable future.

I know of a guy whose end-game speakers are still Snell A7’s, and he scrutinizes their play time like a prison warden, for fear of irreplaceable parts breaking, ha!
Don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but, a $20-30k model staying assuredly serviceable for at least the next decade would be no small part of my consideration in such investment. Lest misfortune strike and “end-game” prematurely take on a very different meaning than you intend :)
@benanders I didn’t even know these were still available. Regardless, Amir’s review was far from positive, these do not seem to be a contender.

With above said, I have a major soft spot for line arrays, every time I have heard them I love the massive soundstage/presentation, though at times can be larger than life and a bit unsettling. As mentioned way early on in this thread, one of the best systems I ever heard was a $1M Wisdom Audio flagship line array at CES years ago. Simply stunning.

But, seems not many commercial line array offerings around these days, unless you go way over my budget (most are crazy expensive, due to all those drivers I suppose?). So I basically gave up on that idea. But, if any line arrays that anyone would recommend that maybe I am not aware of and in my budget, please do toss it out there!

Anyway, thanks @benanders for bringing line arrays back into the light :)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Speaking of line arrays…

Anyone have experience with Wisdom Sage series?

And how about GT Audio Works?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor

Line arrays done right - near my hometown
Wow! Remind me of the below …

Sad story given the ALS diagnosis, but the gentleman has an incredible positive attitude, and wow, amazing loudspeaker design (and that room!)

Thanks for sharing

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Larger Genesis offerings out of my budget (sadly), but anyone heard latest incarnation of the 501, now called the Maestro? Years ago I was looking at the 501, but went with the now defunct Talon Khorus (one of my favorite loudspeakers ever).

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Just became aware of the below … another to add to short list or not a contender?

@Purité Audio I think you have some experience with these?

Thanks!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just became aware of the below … another to add to short list or not a contender?

Thanks!
Screenshot_20221127_190838_Chrome.jpg

That's quite a claim

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Thanks!
Yes if you have a large ( really large) room and if you like to play loud ( really loud) then these are for you!
or the Danleys if they ever materialise .
Keith

steve59

Major Contributor
Estelon

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

steve59

Major Contributor
I don't see anything bad in that set of measurements although 84 dB sensitivity is going to need gobs of power, if there's a chance to demo them I will

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yes if you have a large ( really large) room and if you like to play loud ( really loud) then these are for you!
or the Danleys if they ever materialise .
Keith
@Purité Audio Thanks Keith. How do these compare to Kii, GGNTK, Genelec, KEF, Revel, etc in your personal opinion? I have a big room and loud is good, but most important to me is accurate sound reproduction first, SPL second.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom