• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And the S3000 PRO is crap.
Probably yes, but I don't believe in huge different between in listening Edifier S3000 Pro versus Airpulse A100, but it's not the point. OP want spend 30 000 dollars, and you write about Airpulse A100 with subwoofer? Come on...

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Do not waste your time and money with big brand names where the original designer / audio engineer has died long time ago ! It's just crap all made in China anyway by incompetent people who have no relationship with the original creator.

Get an active speaker Airpulse A100 from Phil Jones (who is alive and makes them in the biggest Chinese factory that makes speakers) + a SVS PB 2000 PRO (or dual sub) or other quality subwoofer and call it a day.

Give me € 8.099 euros for the enlightening help i gave you :) or buy me a Haken Instrument 76 and sent it to my address (you can pm me) :)

The Airpulse A100 has true ribbon twitter + underhung woofer (99% of speakers do not have underhung but overhung) (read more here : https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/airpulse-a300 )

You need to pay 10 times the price so around 10 000 euros to get marginal increase in sound quality.

Thanks !
Uhhhh, not sure what to make of this. Not even close to what i am looking for, but thanks for the recommend regardless.

RobL

USD$30k…hmm that’s around CAD$40k. Well, for myself it’d be 8361A’s + W371A’s, but I already own the ‘61s.
I really like the looks of the Grimm LS1BE, it’d probably be something I’d consider. My wife much prefers that look over my ‘61s :)

Digby

Major Contributor
USD$30k…hmm that’s around CAD$40k. Well, for myself it’d be 8361A’s + W371A’s, but I already own the ‘61s.
Not tempted by some of the big 3-way 12** Gens?

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I really like the looks of the Grimm LS1BE, it’d probably be something I’d consider. My wife much prefers that look over my ‘61s :)
@RobL And your thoughts on those 61s? :) … what else have you listened to and compared in that performance level? As to Grimm, based on my research at least Genelec outperforms them, plus I think more value for the money with Genelec, though the W371 price is a bit on the ridiculous side, IMHO

RobL

@RobL And your thoughts on those 61s? :) … what else have you listened to and compared in that performance level? As to Grimm, based on my research at least Genelec outperforms them, plus I think more value for the money with Genelec, though the W371 price is a bit on the ridiculous side, IMHO

The 61’s are fantastic. The imaging is so super precise and solid. GLM makes the bass better than I’ve ever heard in that room with any previous speaker/sub combo…and that’s just the speakers, no sub involved. I hear them and wonder what the W371’s possibly could add but apparently they add a lot according to some of the users here who own them. They are expensive, yes, but adding them gives you an absolutely SOTA system.
Unfortunately I can’t help much more, I have next to no other experience with speakers at this price point.

Not tempted by some of the big 3-way 12** Gens?
I haven’t experienced any of the big 12** Genelecs but I imagine they are very competent monitors. Most comparisons between say, the smallest 12, the 1237A and 8361A, slightly favor the 8361A. My guess is the other larger models mainly give you more spl…but they are way to big for most living rooms. The next larger 1238A is a 32” tall x 19” wide, my wife is very understanding but has her limits :)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
It is not close at all to what you are looking for, simply because you are looking at things from a wrong perspective / angle. From a marketing perspective and what people say about something.

Try to listen to them and do your research, they beat the other speakers for a fraction of the cost.

The speakers you look forward to buy, don't even have an underhung woofer despite costing thousands ! It is laughable that companies do that, because consumers know nothing but their marketing materials and "ratings" on websites from other people who know nothing.

The only end game is the rational end game. And i don't see how buying speakers that are surgically correct but lack musicality or have terrible sound signatures and tone can represent a good option.

They just cost a lot of money because they are big brands.
But these speakers are better in the sense that they are completely transparent, have a unique sound, no distortions, very musical and are made by a legend who is still alive !

He didn't die and his company got sold to some investment funds like the others.

Ohh but the difference is huge !

Even the president of Edifier says so about their joint venture with Phil Jones and Airpulse speakers compared to their own ! His favorite and his wife favorite is Airpulse :)

Enjoy !
Reviews and measurements are NOT favorable … is this a joke? And do you happen to work for this company or are a dealer for the brand? And made in China? No thanks.

muad

It is not close at all to what you are looking for, simply because you are looking at things from a wrong perspective / angle. From a marketing perspective and what people say about something.

Try to listen to them and do your research, they beat the other speakers for a fraction of the cost.

The speakers you look forward to buy, don't even have an underhung woofer despite costing thousands ! It is laughable that companies do that, because consumers know nothing but their marketing materials and "ratings" on websites from other people who know nothing.

The only end game is the rational end game. And i don't see how buying speakers that are surgically correct but lack musicality or have terrible sound signatures and tone can represent a good option.

They just cost a lot of money because they are big brands.
But these speakers are better in the sense that they are completely transparent, have a unique sound, no distortions, very musical and are made by a legend who is still alive !

He didn't die and his company got sold to some investment funds like the others.

Ohh but the difference is huge !

Even the president of Edifier says so about their joint venture with Phil Jones and Airpulse speakers compared to their own ! His favorite and his wife favorite is Airpulse :)

Enjoy !

You really drank the coolaid on the airpulse, huh? We have Klippel measurements for it... It's ok. Just some resonances through the midrange. But the distortion is pretty bad. Even if they were incredible, they would not provide the spl needed for the OPs space.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Reviews and measurements are NOT favorable … is this a joke? And do you happen to work for this company or are a dealer for the brand? And made in China? No thanks.
I suspect the honest answer to question #2 is yes. That won’t however be the answer we get.

Eetu

Forum Donor
OP is looking for SOTA 30k speakers. He's short listed some of the world's best speakers. The Airpulse 100 is probably fine but obviously suited for smaller spaces, seems to have cabinet resonances and high distortion. It can't compete with Genelec's same size (and price) 8030C let alone the 8361+W371 combo. Same thing with TOTL Kef models and other speakers on the list.

umbral

?

You really drank the coolaid on the airpulse, huh? We have Klippel measurements for it... It's ok. Just some resonances through the midrange. But the distortion is pretty bad. Even if they were incredible, they would not provide the spl needed for the OPs space.

The have Klippel in factory too, didn't you watch ?

I suspect the honest answer to question #2 is yes. That won’t however be the answer we get.

Now if you have a big room why not try some SWAN speakers:

1234.jpeg

Some M5A : https://www.swanspeakers.com/product/view?id=149
Or why not M803A : https://www.swanspeakers.com/product/view?id=193

If you have money, just a little over your buget : $ 35397

16310806644708.jpg

16310806582252.jpg

They have other cheaper also :

Just trying to help you out, you don't have to be rude.

Last edited:

muad

But where do you think your speakers / the other speakers are made ? In china and then they go back to USA & Europe. But wait they are designed in USA or Europe right and build in China. :) How convenient. Nice marketing.

Chinese people can do luxury stuff not just cheap stuff, so please don't be a racist.

Maybe you are a dealer or work as a factory worker or as an influencer for the speaker companies that you mention in a list and you "say that you want to buy end game top of the line best speaker". Please don't accuse people of nonsense.

The have Klippel in factory too, didn't you watch ? Where is the "bad distortion" that you talk about ? Did you listen to them, i have a pair next to me ! You have a graph.

Are you a salesperson as MKR, who pretends to a be a naive consumer and accuses other people of what he is doing ? Maybe my next topic should be : " i have a million dollars - give me my end game. Well the end game is when you "die" and you hear the Music of the Spheres my friend. The true hyper audiophile stuff.

Can i express my opinion and not get racist arguments that if the speakers are made in China they are crap, because somehow China is bad and the west is great ?
The audio engineer is from UK ! And worked in many UK firms before. But you know nothing of this, you just read marketing big budget companies advertisement and think that you are smart.

It is my firm opinion that MKR is wasting his money on gear that pretends to be what is not or does not worth it. None of the speakers mentioned are "end game". Because end game does not exist.

So why not be reasonable and logical and get something with a true ribbon twitter + underhung woofer, yes made in China just like the rest, by a great audio engineer who has a lot of knowledge, not JUST MARKETING STUFF YOU ALL READ ON SPEAKER COMPANIES WEBSITES AND then come here to repeat on the forum their propaganda.

View attachment 245618

16310806644708.jpg

16310806582252.jpg

They have other cheeper also :

So you're saying, KEF, genelec etc are not designed by real engineers and we're all just suckers?

The Klippel in the video didn't look like the NFS to me. I also haven't seen any airpulse Klippel measurements other than amir's. The distortion profile is not great.

1669244151382.png

Many of the speakers the OP is considering has spinorama data. Do you have any spinorama data for the HIVIs that you recommended? You are the one that made the engineering claims, so the burden of proof is on you.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
But where do you think your speakers / the other speakers are made ? In china and then they go back to USA & Europe. But wait they are designed in USA or Europe right and build in China. :) How convenient. Nice marketing.

Chinese people can do luxury stuff not just cheap stuff, so please don't be a racist.

Maybe you are a dealer or work as a factory worker or as an influencer for the speaker companies that you mention in a list and you "say that you want to buy end game top of the line best speaker". Please don't accuse people of nonsense.

The have Klippel in factory too, didn't you watch ? Where is the "bad distortion" that you talk about ? Did you listen to them, i have a pair next to me ! You have a graph.

Are you a salesperson as MKR, who pretends to a be a naive consumer and accuses other people of what he is doing ? Maybe my next topic should be : " i have a million dollars - give me my end game. Well the end game is when you "die" and you hear the Music of the Spheres my friend. The true hyper audiophile stuff.

Can i express my opinion and not get racist arguments that if the speakers are made in China they are crap, because somehow China is bad and the west is great ?
The audio engineer is from UK ! And worked in many UK firms before. But you know nothing of this, you just read marketing big budget companies advertisement and think that you are smart.

It is my firm opinion that MKR is wasting his money on gear that pretends to be what is not or does not worth it. None of the speakers mentioned are "end game". Because end game does not exist.

So why not be reasonable and logical and get something with a true ribbon twitter + underhung woofer, yes made in China just like the rest, by a great audio engineer who has a lot of knowledge, not JUST MARKETING STUFF YOU ALL READ ON SPEAKER COMPANIES WEBSITES AND then come here to repeat on the forum their propaganda.

View attachment 245618

16310806644708.jpg

16310806582252.jpg

They have other cheeper also :

@umbral I am far from a racist, and where I choose to spend my money has nothing to do with this, and frankly none of your business. You are making some serious accusations with zero knowledge behind it. This thread was excellent until you showed up. Please stop.

@amirm Please can you help to correct this situation?

Very sad to see the direction this has turned, very sorry everyone :(

umbral

@umbral I am far from a racist, and where I choose to spend my money has nothing to do with this, and frankly none of your business. You are making some serious accusations with zero knowledge behind it. This thread was excellent until you showed up. Please stop.

@amirm Please can you help to correct this situation?

Very sad to see the direction this has turned, very sorry everyone :(

Do not worry, i won't give you my opinion anymore if you do not need it. Continue and ignore this.

walt99

Forum Donor
Very happy owner of the F328be running a pair of AHB2 in bridged mono mode. Room not quite as big as OP (18x25), and sit about13’ from speakers/tv. Just finished another showing of Top Gun Maverick and it’s a wonderfully satisfying experience. Thought about adding subs but honestly don’t think it would really be worth the effort/expense/placement problem. I’m sure the Genelec’s sound great but I also like keeping things simple and think from a long term reliability perspective that the Benchmark/Revel combo is more likely to give me trouble free service for many years. I do lots of 2 channel listening via Roon and don’t even bother with any room correction, just happy with the way it sounds and prefer to keep things pure’ if you will. The Revels are a very good looking speaker and the wife likes them, pretty sure the Genelecs would not be well received in our living room and might be better off in a dedicated ht setup.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Very happy owner of the F328be running a pair of AHB2 in bridged mono mode. Room not quite as big as OP (18x25), and sit about13’ from speakers/tv. Just finished another showing of Top Gun Maverick and it’s a wonderfully satisfying experience. Thought about adding subs but honestly don’t think it would really be worth the effort/expense/placement problem. I’m sure the Genelec’s sound great but I also like keeping things simple and think from a long term reliability perspective that the Benchmark/Revel combo is more likely to give me trouble free service for many years. I do lots of 2 channel listening via Roon and don’t even bother with any room correction, just happy with the way it sounds and prefer to keep things pure’ if you will. The Revels are a very good looking speaker and the wife likes them, pretty sure the Genelecs would not be well received in our living room and might be better off in a dedicated ht setup.
@walt99 Thank you sir. AHB2 on my short list if I go passive and decide to change amps, so good to know. What other speakers did you audition before deciding on the 328s? As to the WAF, have a dedicated room, so the wife could care less what they look like, no issue with the 8361/371 combo :cool:

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I have owned a lot of gear when I look back on it. Geddes, JBL M2, Salon2 all of which are considered top tier. I decided to invest in the Genelec 8361 after the measurements and info provided here on ASR.
I have not been able to compare directly against the above listed. What I can say is that these disappear better than anything I have been around. They are not fancy in anyway and I mean that as a compliment. The brilliance of the cabinet design, driver design and overall integration and GLM makes these what I consider my last stop.
@goskers Thank you. I actually like the look of the 8361s. 371? Not so much. One concern I have about the 8361s is narrow dispersion that has been reported by some, but others have stated not correct and rather they have fairly wide dispersion, though maybe not comparable to more traditional non-point source (coaxial) driver. What is your experience? What is your listening distance? And do you use for HT or only 2ch music listening? Thanks!

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
You're in the enviable position of considering high end speakers people like me have never heard of. If I were to find myself in that position, the type of speaker I'd be most interested in is the ones with active directivity control. You just can't currently get that technology without spending several grand. It just doesn't seem like uber high end drivers and crossover components in a super solid box is that much better than the same style of design in a cheaper variation (looking at the Vimberg and Salk designs). However directivity control down into the lower octaves seems like it could result in a noticeably improved listening experience due to reduced room interaction. For that reason I would be most interested in the Genelec and GGNTKT offerings since the D&D and Kii is off the list. If I were spending that much I would also prefer something easy to use and setup.
@TimW Agreed and this is direction I am leaning (directivity control). D&D and Kii off the list primarily due to output limitations, otherwise they would still be on short list :). Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom