• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve59

Major Contributor
I might be wrong but the pair comparable to the blade 2 are $20k. I think there's a local dealer that carries them, if so I'll gather more info along with my listening impressions. I think they look odd so hoping there's a acoustic reason for the shape

Reactions: MKR

olegtern

End game speakers in a big room.... Look at JBL K2 S9900 - they are above budget, but put them on the list and try to listen. Maybe used or with a good offer from dealers there can be a deal.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
@Purité Audio Thanks Keith. How do these compare to Kii, GGNTK, Genelec, KEF, Revel, etc in your personal opinion? I have a big room and loud is good, but most important to me is accurate sound reproduction first, SPL second.

Thanks
Neutrality/transparency is reflected by the speaker’s measurements, the better the measurements the more transparent in my experience .
The Hedd’s wouldn’t be top of my list in terms of transparency but if you need spl…
Keith

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I might be wrong but the pair comparable to the blade 2 are $20k. I think there's a local dealer that carries them, if so I'll gather more info along with my listening impressions. I think they look odd so hoping there's a acoustic reason for the shape
Yes, please post listening impressions! Thanks

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Neutrality/transparency is reflected by the speaker’s measurements, the better the measurements the more transparent in my experience .
The Hedd’s wouldn’t be top of my list in terms of transparency but if you need spl…
Keith
Thanks, that answers that question then, and what I expected (as I haven’t heard much about these on ASR). Not going on my short list. Neutrality/transparency #1 criteria to make it on the short list! Followed by the the usual suspects … wide dispersion/soundstage, imaging, dynamics. Wait, maybe I just described the perfect transducer :D … too much to ask for $30k? Sometimes I wonder …

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
End game speakers in a big room.... Look at JBL K2 S9900 - they are above budget, but put them on the list and try to listen. Maybe used or with a good offer from dealers there can be a deal.
I am sure these are end game, but way over my budget. And I don’t want to buy used. But thank you regardless!

benanders

@benanders I didn’t even know these were still available. Regardless, Amir’s review was far from positive, these do not seem to be a contender.

With above said, I have a major soft spot for line arrays, every time I have heard them I love the massive soundstage/presentation, though at times can be larger than life and a bit unsettling. As mentioned way early on in this thread, one of the best systems I ever heard was a $1M Wisdom Audio flagship line array at CES years ago. Simply stunning.

But, seems not many commercial line array offerings around these days, unless you go way over my budget (most are crazy expensive, due to all those drivers I suppose?). So I basically gave up on that idea. But, if any line arrays that anyone would recommend that maybe I am not aware of and in my budget, please do toss it out there!

Anyway, thanks @benanders for bringing line arrays back into the light :)

@MKR agree, commercial line arrays aren’t jumping off the shelves within your budget.

I forgot it was you who mentioned hearing a Wisdom system. A friend of mine had one installed about a decade ago in his dedicated theater room. I don’t say home theater because you could hardly tell the room was inside a home. The effect was incredible whether listening to a live acoustic concert Blu-ray or a Hollywood action flic. His room treatment also goes to 11, btw ;)

This was a recent post about Wisdom:

The price breakdown in 2nd photo is what it is, but surprisingly, if you look at L/R channels only, stays well-within budget. Not sure how on-your-mark that exact model would prove, but perhaps still worth notice. The power of choice can be a real adversary, eh!?

Last edited:

james57

I saw that psi were mentioned and I would second a few a25 with some subs and room treatment, I heard a pair of a23 in a studio and are pretty great, thinking of a pair for myself, still in the selection process. You can also through in a trinnov st2 pro if you still have some change :)

Last edited:

olegtern

I am sure these are end game, but way over my budget. And I don’t want to buy used. But thank you regardless!
I don't want to argue with the idea of not buying used, it's of course yours personal preference (аlthough I don't see any reason why you can't get something a class higher for the same money if it's in mint condition with some luck).

But the main idea: Kii III, D&D, Blades... — not the best companions for big rooms. It's not just about SPL, and about dynamics, low distortion, ability to fill the space.

I'm a little biased, I like horn speakers. But for example, at the last exhibition in Warsaw, it was very clear that even the top speakers (much above your budget) lose in comparison with Blumenhofer loudspeakers when it comes to life-like dynamics.
1669627674098.png

1669627635421.png

1669627695604.png

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That is simply not true, I have owned extremely large horns they are not more dynamic they do have very odd dispersion though.
Keith

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where K2 S9900 is better than M2 or 4367? Why only 48Hz? Strange.

olegtern

That is simply not true, I have owned extremely large horns they are not more dynamic they do have very odd dispersion though.
Keith
What's not true? My impressions of visiting the exhibition? You were there? Or that Kii III, D&D or Blades do not compete in dynamics with JBL K2, 4367? Check out the measurements...

You had some horns. They were not more dynamic than who knows what. And they had an odd dispersion. Ok, I can't argue. I do not recommend these unknown speakers. :facepalm:

The question is not in the horns at all, but that speakers for a large room should be chosen taking into account their dynamic abilities and limitations.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@MKR Amphion Krypton, if you can get an audition.

I personally have a Helium system (5 speakers) and it's wonderful, very neutral, low distortion, fantastic wide dispersion, feels like the whole room is a sweet spot.

Stereo imaging is also spot on to the point where people have to put their ear to the centre speaker to convince themselves it's not on.

I've heard the Argons and I can only imagine what the Kryptons can do. 70Kg+ speakers so good bracing and 8" bass drivers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What's not true? My impressions of visiting the exhibition? You were there? Or that Kii III, D&D or Blades do not compete in dynamics with JBL K2, 4367? Check out the measurements...

You had some horns. They were not more dynamic than who knows what. And they had an odd dispersion. Ok, I can't argue. I do not recommend these unknown speakers. :facepalm:

The question is not in the horns at all, but that speakers for a large room should be chosen taking into account their dynamic abilities and limitations.
You visited an exhibition I ( rather foolishly in retrospect ) attempted for ten years to come to terms with them, we were the original importer of Cessaro, although I know Andrea from Blumenhofer.
Horns are very good if you are standing on one side of a mountain pass and you want your partner ( who is on the other side)to know that dinner is ready.
Keith

olegtern

You visited an exhibition I ( rather foolishly in retrospect ) attempted for ten years to come to terms with them, we were the original importer of Cessaro, although I know Andrea from Blumenhofer.
And what?
Horns are very good if you are standing on one side of a mountain pass and you want your partner ( who is on the other side)to know that dinner is ready.
Keith
Never had that experience, to be honest. I'll take your word for it. I hope you and your partner had a good dinner.

I really don't understand why are you posting this.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just dispelling the ‘horns are more dynamic’ myth which is often touted.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom