• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 320 90.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.8%

• Total voters

GeekyBastard

$3,675? Did they forget to put in the decimal point after 36? You know it's funny when it performes worse than some no brand aliexpress bought cheap HP amps, it literally performs worse than most of the DIY HP amps.

Thanks, think I'll Pass.

supercargo

Pass aficionados expect harmonics and higher 2nd than 3rd and no higher harmonics (tube like).
Pass delivered on that and with only slight hints of that distortion.
Does this preference originate from an era in which high levels of distortion were always found in “HiFi” gear, and the difference between “good” and “bad” was the quality of the distortion introduced?

Anyone have a sense of where the legacy of “the legendary Nelson Pass” ends and the legacy of brand marketing begin?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Edit 2: Can't be a QC issue as this belonged to a member and was already in use for a long time.

Still possible the connector had not been inserted properly (just barely connected) and fell out during transport.
Those connectors, when properly seated all the way in do not come loose without some persuasion.

Drakkar Noir

I am the owner of this amp.
Well, my buyer backed off the sale after reading the review.
Not angry about it, in all honesty. Guess I'll sell it at a lower price.

As for the reason I bought this, I read the reviews and believed all praises the amp received, simple as that.

As for the reason of buying it, I had some store credit from the dealer and this checked pretty much all the boxes for what i was looking for. My Mjolnir Octave was already using my DAC's XLR connection so an RCA-only headphone amp that could rival pretty much every other one in the planet (at least according to most reviews) was tempting. The amp was designed with the Senn HD800 and Audeze LCD-X in mind and I had their close relatives, the HD800S and LCD-XC, so felt the stars aligned for me to have this amp.

Now I'm wondering if my Woo WA7 and DNA Starlet might fare any better LOL. I assume no, but at least they are tube amps I am actually looking for that flavor.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The distortion is intentional... Would value this HP amp at around $ 400.-
This add-on feature that should be optional; like heated-seats (as option) in hi-end automobili circles... I'd delete the option for 5% discount from the $400 price.
....Guess I'll sell it at a lower price.....
...Now I'm wondering if my Woo WA7 and DNA Starlet might fare any better LOL. I assume no, but at least they are tube amps I am actually looking for that flavor.
How low can you get? If you are looking for another buyer in the hopes that they will not have come across the Grinch-news, lowering the price will not sell it any more.
If your sliding value/price/performance calculator made you decide on these hardware -- while catering to your 'flavor' detectors -- just roll with what you got!
You've done enough damage to your listening pleasures already! Being a subjectivist at this juncture may just be the best prescription for you.:facepalm:

D

Deleted member 4708

I am the owner of this amp.
Well, my buyer backed off the sale after reading the review.
Not angry about it, in all honesty. Guess I'll sell it at a lower price.

As for the reason I bought this, I read the reviews and believed all praises the amp received, simple as that.

As for the reason of buying it, I had some store credit from the dealer and this checked pretty much all the boxes for what i was looking for. My Mjolnir Octave was already using my DAC's XLR connection so I an RCA-only headphone amp that could rival pretty much every other one in the planet (at least according to most reviews) was tempting. The amp was designed with the Senn HD800 and Audeze LCD-X in mind and I had their close relatives, the HD800S and LCD-XC, so felt the stars aligned for me to have this amp.

Now I'm wondering if my Woo WA7 and DNA Starlet might fare any better LOL. I assume no, but at least they are tube amps I am actually looking for that flavor.
Enough people don't care much about measurements. I hope you can still sell it at a good price.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Does this preference originate from an era in which high levels of distortion were always found in “HiFi” gear, and the difference between “good” and “bad” was the quality of the distortion introduced?

Anyone have a sense of where the legacy of “the legendary Nelson Pass” ends and the legacy of brand marketing begin?
The levels of distortion seem about right for early 80's audiophool designs. the best far eastern (and some US pro) gear had way exceeded this level.

It's sad really.

Drakkar Noir

I am a subjective and I DO LIKE my tube amps. I am selling the Pass because I am downsizing my system, not because it didn't pass Amir's scrutiny. I am downgrading my listening setup in general and I simply don't have use for the Pass anymore.

Sending the amp to Amir is more of a curiosity of mine to see if the graphs show what the price tag would suggest.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The loose connector inside (quality control, those connectors do not come out with shaking the device), the lack of gain, the high price is what is questionable.
Somebody signed off on the QC/QA 3 times and it would be 4 times if including the designers name on the PCB.
zzzzzz Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amplifier inside PCB design.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Those might only be for the PCB production and maybe board testing. For final assembly it would be hard to sign given the available room for the felt-pen ?
That 16-pin connector takes some force to put in there and to be removed. These don't drop out on transport unless they weren't properly inserted.
On a functional test and with the owner it may well have worked glitch free.

On the left of the PASS logo you can see a small ET stamp.
Most likely he assembled it and used that weird finger to push the flatcable connectors in.... pfff Aliens

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those might only be for the PCB production and maybe board testing. For final assembly it would be hard to sign given the available room for the felt-pen ?
Yes and yes, although the testing of the PCB should at some level include spec'ing the unit even if before production. Who signed off on that? Probably Mr. Somasundram or his coordinator.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
We'll never know...

tallbeardedone

I find it interesting (and not that surprising) that the subjectivists who staunchly "ignore" measurements now won't buy this amp due to it's poor measurements. :facepalm:The only people who will still defend this amp are those who already own it. It's consumer bias at it's finest.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I am a subjective and I DO LIKE my tube amps. I am selling the Pass because I am downsizing my system, not because it didn't pass Amir's scrutiny. I am downgrading my listening setup in general and I simply don't have use for the Pass anymore.

Sending the amp to Amir is more of a curiosity of mine to see if the graphs show what the price tag would suggest.
I will pay you $100 if you pay shipping to me, Everyone knows that I am good for the money. just send me a private message.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before this, my only encounter with Pass products was via Stereophile. From his treatment there, I had a sense that Nelson Pass was some kind of audio engineering genius.

Not any more.
Honestly I’ve yet to see Pass Labs product that, price notwithstanding, seemed to be worth a damn. Build quality problems, controls that don’t work, high susceptibility to ground loops - and for what?

Admittedly, all basic (no DSP) audio electronics are just so boring to me. Either they’re completely unremarkable, or they suck.

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom