• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Newman

Major Contributor
What are you trying to say?

tuga

Major Contributor
I'm wondering... is this speaker designed this way, because all of the designer's previous work is the intellectual property of his employers, or he's contractually not allowed to replicate anything in the Debut/Navis speakers for several years after leaving ELAC?

Probably what he thought that this was the best way to meet the requirements of his employer's design brief and budget, as well as the company's target customer base.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
In all fairness, the part of the baffle that bulges, along with the driver really reminds me of the Technics point source:
1669021224543.png

And both MoFi and Technics seem to be going for the same "no baffle induced directivity" as LS50 shape.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but a 10" driver isn't going to be pumping back and forth in the mid to low bass as a small driver does for the same volume level and this must surely be beneficial for the tweeter matching too if dispersion can be sorted in the first place. never a fan of small driver 'bass' I still have high hopes for this speaker - Not that retro MoFi would possibly be interested, but if the basic passive speaker is sorted well enough, just think what a proper active version could do (price would at least double though, putting it in the same category of some serious pro contenders).

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but a 10" driver isn't going to be pumping back and forth in the mid to low bass as a small driver does for the same volume level and this must surely be beneficial for the tweeter matching too if dispersion can be sorted in the first place.
But XO slopes are not that easy to achieve from what I read over at Audioholics long time ago when we discussed a possibility of a LS50's big brother with a bigger driver. OTOH, Tannoy makes these for a long, long time:
1669024863944.png

These have 15" drivers. Tannoy has all of them ranging from 10" to 15". This begs the question how high can such a driver go and/or how low can a tweeter go, right?

DSJR

Major Contributor
But XO slopes are not that easy to achieve from what I read over at Audioholics long time ago when we discussed a possibility of a LS50's big brother with a bigger driver. OTOH, Tannoy makes these for a long, long time:
View attachment 245034

These have 15" drivers. Tannoy has all of them ranging from 10" to 15". This begs the question how high can such a driver go and/or how low can a tweeter go, right?
I know the Tannoys from the early 70's. Up to the early 80's at least, they were hideously coloured BUT VERY LOUD if that suited you. I could hear high freqwuencies easily then and the pepperpot tweeter guide was as 'ragged as a badger's backside' especially when the castings wore out... Of the current Prestige set, I've only heard the Turnberry SE's and despite the boxes ringing like wardrobes, they actually 'sounded' rather nice (I don't know the grey nextel pro models with plastic? cones and tupip guides). The giant Westminster Royal ones sound the wardrobes they look but when did that ever put people off? :D

No, I expect AJ to have used some more up to date thinking here (understatement) although the 10" driver may well have a slightly different presentation to the hard-works small cones we've had to become used to these days. Hopefully, the pound-dollar scene won't be too bad for UK prices should they come here, but the retro shape may be an issue (the JBL L100 Classics died a death here even before being listened to sadly, due to the retro shape and 'funny' grilles :( - Got to say, what happened to all the male hippies from the late 60's - all free love and letting it all out - they're the peeps who would buy gear like this now I think -? They went over to progressively more conservative tailoring, visited the barbers for an increasingly regular short sharp shearing as our Dads did and the progressive attitude evaporated into a highly conservative 'sensible trad' viewpoint I feel).

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I don't think MoFi targets pro applications.By the look of it it targets trends offering (hopefully) decent sound.
MoFi and their customer base may not care about pro alternatives, but 'we' do when looking at price tags.. The two markets are gradually coming together and Dynaudio have recently launched three active *wireless streaming* models in trad 'domestic' boxes with neat grilles which I thought sounded really nice, the top £8,700 model especially so. They're aiming at younger peels moving up from Sonos and similar setups, but they have analogue RCA inputs too, so a neat-ish domestic option possibly.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm wondering... is this speaker designed this way, because all of the designer's previous work is the intellectual property of his employers, or he's contractually not allowed to replicate anything in the Debut/Navis speakers for several years after leaving ELAC?
It looks to me like he's doing something he's never done before but apparently wanted to for some while, namely to put the tweeter magnet in front of but closely coupled to the woofer magnet (and possibly thereby stacking their magnetic fields as well?) From looking at KEF's LS/50 Meta design I suppose this isn't that much different other than the easier waveguide design because of the lower travel of the 10" woofer, although it could be that the magnets on the KEF are far enough apart to not interact and that may create difficulty in getting the relatively long spider of the woofer to "stay straight" as it travels. But who knows, I'm not a speaker designer and this is pure speculation.
20200921191737_2020-09-21_KEF_12thGen_Uni-Q_with_MAT_(1130x425).jpg

Last edited:

cavedriver

I suppose the magnets are stacked on the Unifi Reference (UBR6.2) with the tweeter magnet in front of the midwoofer magnet. That had the added advantage that the outer driver is a mid and not a woofer so much less cone excursion, but also imperfect directionality since the crossover from the mid to the woofer would still shift the image down and mess with it somewhat.
27.png

cavedriver

In all fairness, the part of the baffle that bulges, along with the driver really reminds me of the Technics point source:
View attachment 245024

And both MoFi and Technics seem to be going for the same "no baffle induced directivity" as LS50 shape.
Note that the Genelec One series speakers also have baffles that curve back away from the driver after transitioning out of the waveguide zone:
8361A_1.jpg

cavedriver

Curious, despite Amir's adoration the Genelec doesn't seem to have the widest dispersion according to their data, although I suppose by the numbers it will match the Klippel once I go back and look, and I suppose it is at least appears fairly smooth using the gradations Genelec has chosen for this graph. Looking forward to measurements on the Mofi.
8361A_vertical_directivity.png

fineMen

Major Contributor
Whitepaper here.
Read it?

"... drivers are now spatially separated. ... discriminate the height of a sound source, ... sounds unnatural."
Doesn't sound quite logical to me.

" ... timing — to each driver has changed, we will experience response nulls or peaks."
No peaks.

" ... transition of directionality. ... results in an off-axis response that is non-uniform ..."
Not inherent to non-concentric drivers, me thinks.

" ... The tweeter is mounted on the center axis of the woofer ... eliminates the distance and timing differences."
Alas, not quite.

"... resulting in intermodulation distortion, decreased clarity, and added sonic harshness — particularly with vocals."
So true!

"When designing cones, minimizing resonances is critical, but doing so becomes more difficult as we increase cone diameter and operate it over a wider frequency range."
Correct, but a bit of a tautology.

"The crossover filters the signal going into the cone, not the signals coming out of it."
Right, wasn't considered with first implementations of metal cones.

"In closing, I hope you get the same joy listening to SourcePoint 10 that I did designing it."
Mmh, would have liked a glimpse on of what actually came out.

My main criticism is, with an additional semi-sub woofer the big cone for full bass from the coax could have been omitted. A complication that wasn't actually necessary.

tuga

Major Contributor
My main criticism is
I though that you were going to say that he's terrible at expressing himself and should have hired a professional copywriter.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, despite Amir's adoration the Genelec doesn't seem to have the widest dispersion according to their data

Did I miss a post somewhere in this thread that made such a claim?

cavedriver

Did I miss a post somewhere in this thread that made such a claim?
my statement was in the context of curved baffles and whether they made for very wide dispersion, and the point was that despite the Genelec's curved baffle the dispersion is still reasonably moderate (around 50 degrees iirc).

Top Bottom