• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Audiophiles Are Anti-Computer

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
All you ever said was ""What if the Intona changes the sound for a reason totally unrelated to noise coming out of the PC?" - no explanation, despite being asked a number of times
So here's your chance - make me look even dumber by explaining how the Intona changes the sound if it's not reducing noise by isolation

Oh you are an idiot JK. That wasn't the point at all, you have wandered off trying to distract hoping no-one will notice.

What I said was

I didnt deflect, I pointed out the bleedin obvious, ie that YOU dont know the cause of any difference you apparently hear - you have just made an assumption

That was the point in question. So why have you mentioned any of the above?

Are you really that stupid you missed the point? It wasn't an assertion that was happening, it was to point out that you were simply making assumptions.

I would probably get more sense talking to a lobotomised pidgeon that conversing with you.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Of course if one finds the current understanding sufficient and trustworthy, then there is no onus to repeat the same and reinvent the wheel.
Pretty much. But what I am fascinated by is the idea that you can never declare "I like the sound of these speakers" (unless handed the results of some DB testing you have participated in in a testing facility). Is it also the case that you can never declare "I like the sound of this concert hall" or "This car drives well", or "I like that tune"?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I understand that fight club is lightly moderated. I didn't understand that it is exempt from the basic premise of ASR, open to all the same audiophile foolishness we have come here to get away from. If that's the case, please let me know so I can avoid it.

Tim
I very much agreed with you Tim, the goings on here were beginning to get under my skin.
But upon further thought I realized I was stopping in here one or twice a day to read your and AJ's elegant attack prose when replying to John's audiophilia nervosa inspired posts. Not only did they have me ROTFL but they were adding much to my verbal debating vocabulary. Compared to you guys, when it comes to a battle of wits, most others are unarmed. :D
Hey Amir and Tom, I for one am having fun. ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I have had to make Fight Club a member-only thing. Visitors no longer can see the forum. There is just too much dirty talk here to let the world see it.

My hope for Fight Club was not personal battles but battles about audio technology. It has become the former which I am not happy about.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Send the threads to a few Psychoanalysts, see what they think.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Send the threads to a few Psychoanalysts, see what they think.
They would be busy researching it for years! I often wonder why forum behavior is not subject of research.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh you are an idiot JK. That wasn't the point at all, you have wandered off trying to distract hoping no-one will notice.
Here's what was said was:
john Kenny said:
It's verified by putting the Intona in-line & hearing a difference. Unless the Intona is changing bits or doing something else other than removing noise then its a reasonable assumption that the computer has noise on it's USB which is audibly noticeable when it's removed

Yes, it's real, it's audible. There's no point in looking for proof from others when you can evaluate this for yourself
BE718} said:
No its not. You have false logic here. What if the Intona changes the sound for a reason totally unrelated to noise coming out of the PC?
Me wandering off the point, eh? Projecting again, BE
What I said was

I didnt deflect, I pointed out the bleedin obvious, ie that YOU dont know the cause of any difference you apparently hear - you have just made an assumption

That was the point in question. So why have you mentioned any of the above?

Are you really that stupid you missed the point? It wasn't an assertion that was happening, it was to point out that you were simply making assumptions.

I would probably get more sense talking to a lobotomised pidgeon that conversing with you.
There is no point made by you - you tried a dumb attempt at a deflection & it backfired on you!!
So now's your chance - show how dumb I am by telling all of us how "the Intona changes the sound for a reason totally unrelated to noise coming out of the PC"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
But what I am fascinated by is the idea that you can never declare "I like the sound of these speakers" (unless handed the results of some DB testing you have participated in in a testing facility).
I'm fascinated by how you concocted such an idea. "I like the sound of these speakers, DAC, wires, Ferrari, singer", etc or taste of this beer, is a purely subjective statement. There is nothing for a rational person to argue against.
Do you know what the words subjective and objective mean?
Can you comprehend claiming DAC "noise" or "linearity" etc. causing preference (and "listening" drama) is not a purely subjective claim?

Is it also the case that you can never declare "I like the sound of this concert hall" or "This car drives well", or "I like that tune"?
Perhaps you should ask your strawman these questions instead of the wrong person?

fas42

Major Contributor
AJ, would you be willing to say that some people would be able to hear certain flaws in the reproduction of sound, but others for various reasons wouldn't?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's the balance we are trying to find. Freedom of expression and its results vs guys getting intimidated and not participating. Obviously a circle jerk is not what we really want either.

We want ' the individual ' mind but with a collective coherence.there are ways to foster this coherence through a sense of 'ownership ' and 'pride' in our forum amir/we(members) have created. I have ideas to this end but like always implementing them effectively takes some skill and a great deal of unity and togetherness between me and amir.

I can assure you all, amir and I are united and determined. I personally take my responsibility to you all very seriously, rest assured no stone will be left unturned in our pursuit to make this place great.

Cheers all, thank you for your contributions so far..

Thomas

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
A very severe flaw in the whole evaluation thing, as used by objectivists, is the concept of "like". IMO, this is totally useless as a means of teasing out problems - the "do you like speaker A, or speaker B" type of thing. For me, this is like wanting to know whether I prefer to fly in a plane painted white, or one in rainbow colours ... and I say, I prefer the plane where the noise level is less, and the vibration from the engines is less noticeable - that is, the absence of perceivable failings is everything; meaning, I can then relax and, yes, like the music ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A very severe flaw in the whole evaluation thing, as used by objectivists, is the concept of "like".

That would never be a problem with a Subjectivist evaluation?

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
AJ, would you be willing to say that some people would be able to hear certain flaws in the reproduction of sound, but others for various reasons wouldn't?
Sure, if you would be willing to say that some people would imagine hear certain flaws in the reproduction of sound that don't really exist.
Frank, what prevents you from deluding yourself?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Here's what was said was:

Me wandering off the point, eh? Projecting again, BE
There is no point made by you - you tried a dumb attempt at a deflection & it backfired on you!!
So now's your chance - show how dumb I am by telling all of us how "the Intona changes the sound for a reason totally unrelated to noise coming out of the PC"
Yep you are proving you don't understand the simple point being made.

Why have you latched onto opus buzzwords that you don't even seem to understand?

You are such an idiot that you don't realise that you suggested a whole bunch of reasons why the Intona may change the sound unrelated to noise when you did your desktop appraisal of its design. Your appraisal was found wholly inaccurate when measurement evidence was presented of course, but the point is without the evidence you don't know. You also forget the other bleeding obvious stuff like your sighted audiophool comparisons are meaningless and subject to bias.

I am not going to talk further about the Intona because that is not the point .

The point is you make stuff up. You assume without evidence.

Like the idiotic " 99.99 % of people hear an improvement".

That's not what this forum is about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom