• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anyone here find it more than just a bit ironic that Stereophile has all of a sudden started to review Topping and Genelec gear ???

Awsmone

By
"simple-minded objectivists who populate certain online discussion forums."
i don’t get the ‘simple-minded” part, as I don’t see any simple minds on this forum( other than maybe myself) unless it’s we don’t believe in “voodoo” audio engineering , but that would make ASR forum members enlightened or thoughtful, or rationale , not simple , so that is a slur , not explained

there is so much profitability in power cords interconnect cables, conditioners , Ethernet reclocking gadgets etc, if they didn’t go along with the “voodoo” they would cut out a large part of audiophool advertising market

it is a great shame as Amir just with power cords, they often don’t have a safety certification which is a public service/quality issue

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By

i don’t get the ‘simple-minded” part, as I don’t see any simple minds on this forum( other than maybe myself) unless it’s we don’t believe in “voodoo” audio engineering , but that would make ASR forum members enlightened or thoughtful, or rationale , not simple , so that is a slur , not explained

Let's face it; it's human nature to see "the other side" as more caricature and simplistic. The "subjectivists" do it all the time. But so do plenty of us on ASR about audiofools "subjectivists." :D

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Anyone here find it more than just a bit ironic that Stereophile has all of a sudden started to review Topping and Genelec gear ???

More than a bit? No. Not for any of the classical types of irony. Do you?

In the loosest vernacular meaning of the word, you may be thinking it's unexpected. But I would expect them to, sooner or later.

If you were Canadian, I'd understand.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I teach in the humanities myself, so I'm fine with poetry. But Reichert's pieces are generally not my cup of tea. This one, though, I didn't mind so much.
Me too. Due to that, I keep poetry out when I explain Perkin's discovery of anilines as probably the most profitable patent of the XIX century. :p

Audiophiles may sound like Futurists with fast cars, but the problem is precisely that you try to communicate information, not create art, when you review gear.

Awsmone

Me too. Due to that, I keep poetry out when I explain Perkin's discovery of anilines as probably the most profitable patent of the XIX century. :p

Audiophiles may sound like Futurists with fast cars, but the problem is precisely that you try to communicate information, not create art, when you review gear.
Weren’t anilines discovered in 1826 organically so to speak by Otto Unverdorben from indigo, and Perkins’ discovered mauveine 1856 which was an artificial form of aniline which formed the basis for artificial dye industry as aniline were very expensive and in fact the basis of BASF ? And Bechamp reduction method which is what allowed it be produced in large quantities ? http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k347830.image.f185

Awsmone

Let's face it; it's human nature to see "the other side" as more caricature and simplistic. The "subjectivists" do it all the time. But so do plenty of us on ASR about audiofools "subjectivists." :D
I don’t disagree, but it reflects the lack of research of the forum before dissing it , which suggests a knee jerk response rather than a cogent thought process , and a move for a magazine know in the past for measurements to the subjectivist side, or an attempt to not dissing subjectivists at the expense of objectivists, and interesting position !

Awsmone

More than a bit? No. Not for any of the classical types of irony. Do you?

In the loosest vernacular meaning of the word, you may be thinking it's unexpected. But I would expect them to, sooner or later.

If you were Canadian, I'd understand.
Don’t Stereophioe have a process that they wont review a product until there are a certain amount of resellers in the USA , I think from memory 5, plz correct me if wrong ?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Weren’t anilines discovered in 1826 organically so to speak by Otto Unverdorben from indigo, and Perkins’ discovered mauveine 1856 which was an artificial form of aniline which formed the basis for artificial dye industry as aniline were very expensive and in fact the basis of BASF ? And Bechamp reduction method which is what allowed it be produced in large quantities ? http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k347830.image.f185
Perkin was attempting to synthesize quinine for malaria treatment. Since Perkin had no idea about the benzene ring structure, what he ended up with was, mauveine. The UK patent law at the time gave rights on the product, regarless of the method of production (what the German patent laws gave rights for), becoming both the dude that earned a shitload of money and at the same time, allowed the German industry to surpass it with I+D particularly applied to artificial indigo.

The UK patent law at the time showed a similar pattern of not supporting competition and innovation in the case of soda, as both the Solvay method users still had to pay patent to Leblanc-method manufacturers.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This: :D

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The masses don't care about SINAD.

LOL, yeah, I wondered what masses he was referring to.

ROTFLMAO

I hate to tell ya friend but your being naive in the extreme.
You don't have to read between the lines to know who's Jim article is pointed at.
Who else pray tell?

I believe that the days of radical subjectivity in audio are winding down, and this site has been a big part of that. Hooray!

And there an irony there if so....as acceptance of *facts* and *science* become ever wobblier and more partisan in the public/political realms...the audio hobby moves the other way?

I'll believe it when I see it ;)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought I'd follow your advice and do that, but there's a very short thread already (it hasn't managed a page) as well as a few posts in the thread on Guttenberg's review, so no. My observation on s/n holds, obviously. As does my appreciation of the signal, regardless.

Do you seriously believe that Stereophile's remit is to focus primarily on *signal* (measurements), the way ASR's is? To 'center' it, as the kids say these day?

I call 'false equivalence' here.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough - although given that the Genetic review was by Herb Reichert and not Kal, it's not surprising that it didn't get a ton of attention here. Glad Richert gives them a nice review, but he immediately praises Genelec for not touting "accuracy, science, and measurements," and the review contains a number of his signature subjectivist assertions. It's fine, but not exactly something that's going to give most ASR members any new insights.

Forget it, Jake. It's Stereophile.

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Don’t Stereophioe have a process that they wont review a product until there are a certain amount of resellers in the USA , I think from memory 5, plz correct me if wrong ?
There are separate rules for direct-sales-only products.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Do you seriously believe that Stereophile's remit is to focus primarily on *signal* (measurements), the way ASR's is? To 'center' it, as the kids say these day?

I call 'false equivalence' here.

You can buy into it if you like but I don't put much weight on mission statements (here, there or anywhere).

Awsmone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom