• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It fails to turn off as long as the PC is on even if I close the audio player. I have no interest in turning off the PC.
Are you powering the E30 from a port on the PC?

Audiofool1Q84

I just got my E30 and am about to hook it up to my power amp. One of the major reasons for me to get it was not having to use a separate preamp. This topic has been discussed a few times in this thread & I'm fairly certain I would not "lose" anything by using it in preamp mode vs dac mode. Pray tell then why this gent (at 8:45) scoffs at its preamp performance?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Any subjective impressions that aren't acompanied by a rundown of which measures were taken to eliminate placebo aren't worth discussing.
Here's how to do proper, blind testing:

geopapa

I just got my E30 and am about to hook it up to my power amp. One of the major reasons for me to get it was not having to use a separate preamp. This topic has been discussed a few times in this thread & I'm fairly certain I would not "lose" anything by using it in preamp mode vs dac mode. Pray tell then why this gent (at 8:45) scoffs at its preamp performance?
Well this gent also found audible difference in sound using different filters, something none here can confirm.. Maybe he's got the golden ears..

Last edited:

Audiofool1Q84

...or mine aren't golden enough. I had a really hard time telling them apart - maybe 5 & 6 to some extent. But blind abx i'm sure I'd fail. Set on filter 1 and happy. Fantastic device for the money!

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
^
Thank you. Wow, there are a lot of differences. In fact a lot more than just a swap of receiver chips. There are even quite visible differences to the output stage. No wonder it sounds different to earlier versions. The power supply stage has also severely changed. This new E30 has to be re-reviewed by amir. I'm calling it out! (green=same as before/red=changes in the circuit)
View attachment 147904
Here’s mine….
04ADDBDF-2153-4392-9251-C7EB054A3F1D.jpeg

vertox

Hello everyone, please help me to identify the chip on toping e 30

Attachments

• изображение_viber_2022-05-17_19-59-19-559.jpg
    изображение_viber_2022-05-17_19-59-19-559.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20220517_140402.jpg
    IMG_20220517_140402.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 184

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, please help me to identify the chip on toping e 30
That should be some kind of buck converter, changing a voltage (say power supply 12V) to another voltage (say 3.3V or 5V). If you measure what is coming in and out of the pins you should be able to locate similar parts. I doubt the label helps much, it often is just a batch number. Format appears to be 12pin MSOP.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got one of these yesterday, and I've had them before but because of USB noise wasn't really impressed with it. This time I had a Febsmart USB card in a quiet location in the PC, so I ran a USB extension cord to plug in the audio and power into the two ports and this thing sounds amazing. I noticed when testing it with the phone powerbank how the bass dynamics for more distinct and overall just sounding better. Powering it from the wall or USB hub just didn't sound "right" and confirmed when turning the volume up during a pause there was a hiss over 90% volume. With both plugs into the $14 Febsmart card I'm a real fan of these DAC's now. Testing with the SMSL SP200 and it's great, and going to pull out the Schiit Asgard 3 and take that for a spin today. Getting rid of noise hiss at max volume is like getting an expensive upgrade :)

Overseas

Major Contributor
I only use it to stream by phone via OTG cable so never had issues with PCs, powered directly at wall. Sounds quite straightforward, I mean the good way.

klase

interested. compared to d10s is there a big difference?
as a user of the d10s is there a lot of difference with replacing it with the e30?

Jarrett

You can check out this video if it will help you out ;)

Translation?
interested. compared to d10s is there a big difference?
as a user of the d10s is there a lot of difference with replacing it with the e30?

Different user here. I upgraded from the D10 after three months. Wasn't ever too happy with it (thought it was too honky on voices, samey sounding across instruments, and was never satisfied with the sound). I've had the E30 for a year - it's a keeper! Love the sound from it! Not to say this reflects on the D10s model with its newer ESS chip.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK, E30 owners -- mine just went dead. It lights up with an ominous "E - d" on the display and does not respond to the power button or the remote. Any idea what this might be -- and is there a remedy other than sending it back to the seller and hoping for warranty coverage?

Jarrett

I've Googled, and couldn't find an explanation for E - d error. It must mean something?

Top Bottom