• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danny Richie, GR Research, doesn't recommend a speaker he can't sell an "upgrade" kit for

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Didnt see the video, but i can imagine that its hard to make it better with a passive xover mod. . Look at the measuerements, no big foults. Direcivity is great, linearity is good. Messing with this passive xover is bringing owls to athen.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know he produces some actually useful audio products (speaker kits/drivers), but seems in his quest to remain relevant or expand sales he has adopted some goofy ideas. I wouldn't give him the time of day personally.

mSpot

To be fair, he said its good for the price point and he doesn't recommend UPGRADING it.

No need to misrepresent.
Agreed. The OP misrepresented what Richie said. Most of his comments about the speaker were very positive.

There were some upgrades he suggested but he thought the effort wouldn't be worth it because of how the speaker is put together.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting to compare his measurement:
1653858568960.png

To mine:
1653858592619.png

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting to compare his measurement:
1653861223686.png
Not as different when using a similar scale:
chart 108.png

His obviously doesn‘t capture the resonances as well. Also doesn’t properly capture the upper bass.

He no doubt usesl a more zoomed in view in order to emphasis any changes his mods make.

Last edited:

formula 977

If you eq'd your FR vs Richie's FR graph which do you think would end up being more accurate (sound better?). That is, your multiple frquency high Q attempt or the low Q, couple of frequency attempt to just basically smooth the trend line?

Top Bottom