• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist

Screen-Shot-2022-05-09-at-4.47.21-PM.jpg

ta240

Major Contributor
I keep seeing this one as an example of life before cell phones where people didn't talk either and it doesn't make much sense to me. I never thought people talked to strangers on the train. People used to read complete news stories and then talk about them at work during lunch. Now they read the headline, make an angry comment and spend lunch looking to see if anyone argued with their comment or if their favorite content creator had the same opinion. I can't remember the last time I saw people talking in the lunchroom and those are people that know each other.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep seeing this one as an example of life before cell phones where people didn't talk either and it doesn't make much sense to me. I never thought people talked to strangers on the train. People used to read complete news stories and then talk about them at work during lunch. Now they read the headline, make an angry comment and spend lunch looking to see if anyone argued with their comment or if their favorite content creator had the same opinion. I can't remember the last time I saw people talking in the lunchroom and those are people that know each other.
It's too easy to offend sometimes. Some people take offense and others are a security risk knowing too much. :D

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's funny, no matter where I am - and despite the look on my face when they do - people just start talking to me all the time. I think it must be similar to the reason that cats can always find the person who is most allergic (or just hates cats) and then immediately go to that person and start rubbing against them.

I've tried everything I can think of from looking sick, crazy, psychotic, etc. I think I could cover myself in blood, carry a 14" knife, and I'd still get some rando wanting to tell me about the past 10 years of his life - in chronological order. :rolleyes:

ta240

Major Contributor
It's too easy to offend sometimes. Some people take offense and others are a security risk knowing too much. :D

That's true, we used to discuss all sorts of forbidden topics at lunch.
Although I wonder if it is a chicken and the egg thing. Did we stop talking for fear of offending or did we lose our ability to not get offended when we stopped talking?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's true, we used to discuss all sorts of forbidden topics at lunch.
Although I wonder if it is a chicken and the egg thing. Did we stop talking for fear of offending or did we lose our ability to not get offended when we stopped talking?
Some people that apparently where offended for whatever reason(s) for a long period of time before have more voice now. They are now able to amplify their collective voice and be heard with effect.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Some people that apparently where offended for whatever reason(s) for a long period of time before have more voice now. They are now able to amplify their collective voice and be heard with effect.
I do think that is a significant part of it, but another is the progressive (or more accurately, regressive) march towards tribalism - especially in western culture. It seems to be part of the natural cycle with humanity, and apparently we're nearly at the end of the collectivism phase... who knows, maybe in 200-300 years we'll be mostly nomadic tribes again? I used to think that a mass extinction event would be required... but now I think technology, a pandemic, sufficient regional wars, and a true global financial disaster would be sufficient... and it's looking like we may check all 4 boxes this decade the way we're going. :(

On the upside... even the freaks have their tribe now... I just wish we'd all spend more time making shit than just pissing each other off all the time.

Or more succinctly:
iu

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
277824702-1113805152539151-8137521639611305-n.png

digicidal

Major Contributor
Not going to happen. People like comforts and technology too much.
That's definitely true, but the definition of comfort can change. More importantly both cost a deceptively large amount of resources, which are easily taken for granted until they can't be... but I've already gone off topic too much so I'll leave it there. My own definition of "comfort" has changed significantly after 50 years of urban life:

iu

Top Bottom