• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One bit of good news here in PAPi. Enough to get HiRez and perhaps 4 K on Netflix. Tidal is lossless .. Don't know for MQA and don't even care :D
7809966159.png
You're not going to get 4k on that. You'll get 2k and it may drop in and out of that resolution at times.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Thought I would resurrect this one as I have changed from a fibre provider to NBN. For those not in Australia the National Broadband Network has been a controversial government scheme to provide universal high speed internet access. Initially intended to put fibre to the home everywhere, it was watered down to save cost. The majority of installation work done so far has been fibre to a local street cabinet and your existing telephone copper to the home from there. You still with this VDSL have the fundamental problems of copper and distance from the node to your house. Farther away, slower you go.

So why did I change from fibre? Well it doesnt matter how good your connection to the local datacentre is if your internet service provider has inadequate bandwidth from there on domestically and particularly internationally. On this privately run fibre in our estate we only had the choice of the one ISP who simply had inadequate bandwidth and had no intention of doing anything about it.

So I can literally throw a stone from the house and hit the fibre cabinet and can get a 150 / 50 Mb/s speed on the connection, although 100 / 40 is the highest that is currently available here. Luckily I have found an ISP that take network capacity and congestion seriously, and even publish the POI capacity/traffic levels. Her is my POI. It doesnt slow down at peak times. When it hits capacity they nudge the bandwidth up.

View attachment 17727

So my interest is what really about other users (in Oz and other countries) experience with international bandwidth. With my ISP its now fantastic, it hardly slows down to the UK from Oz. I was successfully streaming the BBC UHD world cup coverage.

to local datacentre
View attachment 17732

to London from Oz
View attachment 17731

+1 for Aussie Broadband.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You guys made me look at the site stats and see which countries are getting slowest access. Since our server is in US, the page loads here are the fastest (around 1 second). Here are the page loads from the worst 25 countries:

1542575783789.png

I am very surprised to see South Korea being the slowest with whopping 75 second page load time!

Do we have members in the top 10 list here that can report how fast the forum load time is?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About 3 seconds for ASR, around 1 second for bbc.co.uk, 1-2 seconds for ebay.co.uk and amazon.co.uk, but don't know where their servers are located.

S

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to the magic of buffering I do get 2K. 4K? I don’t know.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am on wireless internet, bouncing off towers on the old Billborough Lookout (elevation 2943ft), Queensland/NSW border ranges. I can see the towers and they are 16km away. I've trekked up to the top and there's a huge amount of communications gear strapped on the towers, including a number of TV stations' infrastructure, transmitting into northern NSW. We are around 500ft up with a clear line of sight for the link. Even in heavy weather and storms, it's pretty good.

This is a good day result:

wires 181119.JPG

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am on wireless internet, bouncing off towers on the old Billborough Lookout (elevation 2943ft), Queensland/NSW border ranges. I can see the towers and they are 16km away. I've trekked up to the top and there's a huge amount of communications gear strapped on the towers, including a number of TV stations' infrastructure, transmitting into northern NSW. We are around 500ft up with a clear line of sight for the link. Even in heavy weather and storms, it's pretty good.

This is a good day result:

View attachment 17752
What kind of gear on your end receives the signal?

davkj

1Gb FTTH, downloads a bit slow tonight...
Capture.JPG

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...What kind of gear on your end receives the signal?...

This on the roof:

wires.JPG

It's fed by POE injector on gigabit LAN. I haven't messed around in the roof mounted receiver/router as it just works... Pretty sure it contains multiple antennas. I also don't want to go up there- it's 40ft above the forest floor and we have a slippery oxidized surface metal roof...

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This on the roof:

View attachment 17754

It's fed by POE injector on gigabit LAN. I haven't messed around in the roof mounted receiver/router as it just works... Pretty sure it contains multiple antennas. I also don't want to go up on our roof- it's 40ft about the forest floor and we have a slippery oxidized surface metal roof...
No don't go up on the roof.

I was just curious. I've messed around with some of the inexpensive Ubiquiti gear. It will work to 8 miles (12 km) well and enough to be useful to 10-12 miles (16-19 km) if clear LOS and fresnel zone.

I've tried to get people with very good internet to share with me over that gear. There are some in a 2-3 mile range. So far no one has agreed to do that. The Ubiquiti devices are smaller than what you have I think. So I'm not asking anyone to let me put up a huge object.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wifi (2015 rMBP) in the living room, which is normal. (Amplifi HD mesh router)
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.19.54 PM.png

Wired (last-gen Mac mini, through Ampifi router and Netgear switch), a little slower than the best I've gotten, which is in the high 800s up and down.

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.23.38 PM.png

Connection is AT&T Fiber "1GB".

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I was just curious. I've messed around with some of the inexpensive Ubiquiti gear. It will work to 8 miles well and enough to be useful to 12 miles if clear LOS and fresnel zone.

I am curious too as to what exactly the hardware is. Pretty sure it's 2.4GHz. I'll email the ISP and get some technical details just for fun.

All can say is it is a remarkably solid connection with low latency. I didn't have high hopes to be honest, but it has exceeded all my expectations at a low cost AU$59 per month with 500GB data. Very occasionally the house router and the roof mounted receiver/router have a fight over who is the gateway and who is the DHCP server, but that's rare- a reboot of the two units fixes that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wifi (2015 rMBP) in the living room, which is normal. (Amplifi HD mesh router)
View attachment 17755

Wired (last-gen Mac mini, through Ampifi router and Netgear switch), a little slower than the best I've gotten, which is in the high 800s up and down.

View attachment 17756

Connection is AT&T Fiber "1GB".

Another one on the hate list. ;)

Top Bottom