• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

goat76

Major Contributor
I think some of you are paying a lot for your internet connection. Here in Sweden, I pay 177 SEK for 3 months, that's under $6/month.

Broadband Speed.png

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone have Starlink?

eriksson

Forum Donor
1G (~$75 per month) fiber on one of my PC's, test to local server here in Iceland.
Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 05-35-09 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

Unfortunately for me, most of the interwebs ain't located here in Iceland.
So, let's check Europe, 'Orange' provider in Paris France.
Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 05-47-08 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

Looking west, to New York in the land of the free, home of the brave.
Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 05-59-45 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

The main sea cables from Iceland go to Scotland, likely explaining the much higher ping time to NY than Paris.
BTW I frequently see 100MB/sec download speed when using torrent to get larger files. So I am quite happy with this connection.

Willem

Major Contributor
Am I right that by and large US users seem to have far slower connections than many in Europe? As I wrote earlier our own copper connection offers about 450 Mb/s download speed but we could have double that for not much more money. Rural districts by and large have similar speed, mostly as a condition for permits. We are scheduled for fiber in about a year from now, but many parts of our town already have it, as do most rural districts. Since the streets will have to be dug up, the work is mostly scheduled to coincide with improvements to the electricity grid ( no overhead power cables here) and sometimes also the sewage system.

Willem

Major Contributor
This made me look into 5G coverage because I need a new mobile phone. Nearly all of the country now has 500 Mb 5G coverage.
Of course, this also make me curious about other European countries. I like to have good connections for my next cycle camping tour to the south of France later this summer. A few years ago rural Germany was problematic.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I right that by and large US users seem to have far slower connections than many in Europe?
I am not sure, but what puzzles me the most is indeed the price gap between countries. Overall, subscriptions seem to be way more expensive in NA.

9317596169.png

This is 25€/month (and it of course includes unlimited calls & SMS + roaming all over EU).
13992818287.png

This is 42€/month (sometimes less with special offers). Initially subscribed to the "500Mbps" offer, but for some reason, I've got twice that in download speed.

Jimshoe

This is via wi-fi (better via ethernet obviously):

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 09.54.27.png

Top Bottom