• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phone landlines, after the A/D conversion, were a 64kbit channel, 8bits x 8000/s, usually one bit was stolen by the network.

At the then popular $0.10/minute long distance rate after the Bell System was broken up by the Telecommunications Act of 1984:

One gigabyte of data would take around 39.68 hours (if no problems)...

And at 10c/minute cost $238.

The poor old long distance phone companies sure had their business model broken with the expansion of the data networks.

I was there.
Me too ...

This structure was so convoluted that at one point from Miami it cost more to call Fort Lauderdale (10~15 miles) than San Francisco !!!
I am pleased it is dead... :)

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm from Malaysia and the load time is not more than 1 sec for me. Weird coz I don't think there's anyone from Malaysia other than me on this forum. I could be wrong though.
Apa khabar?

vitalii427

Forum Donor
C3A71CE5-5B9F-4E9D-8A7A-3D089C006A17.png

Tks

Major Contributor
@vitalii427

Man what an amazing connection that is. How much does something like that cost? In New York City I don't think you could even pay enough money to have a residential connection that good. I've never seen upload 2 times faster than download. That's just absolutely amazing.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Home internet for $10/month
@vitalii427

Man what an amazing connection that is. How much does something like that cost? In New York City I don't think you could even pay enough money to have a residential connection that good. I've never seen upload 2 times faster than download. That's just absolutely amazing.
Oh! I was going to add that info but forgot.
It’s usual home internet here in Kiev (Ukraine). It costs US$10 per month. This test was done from iPhone over WiFi. Laptop WiFi usually closer to 650 Mbps down/up. AirPort Extreme router.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Haven't seen this thread...
Just got this:
Screenshot_20191125-085528.png

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I pay about $50 a month for the internet part of my Comcast double play:
1574690548394.png

I'm happy. My price has been stable for 15 years and the speed keeps increasing.

Martin

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Tks

Major Contributor
Home internet for $10/month

Oh! I was going to add that info but forgot.
It’s usual home internet here in Kiev (Ukraine). It costs US$10 per month. This test was done from iPhone over WiFi. Laptop WiFi usually closer to 650 Mbps down/up. AirPort Extreme router.

That sort of connection quality and throughput will remain unreachable here in the US for at least another decade.

$10 for that is simply unimaginable here. Especially in New York, imagine a 10x price increase AT LEAST to come close to something similar to that.

arboleda

Forum Donor
1574698310021.png

We lucked out that the neighborhood we moved into two years ago has cox fiber. I had 50/5 megabit for years before this and love love love this fiber setup. And it's only $70 per month. I'd probably pay 3 times that for this speed. I'm not a huge gamer but when I play a little CS:GO that 2-5 ms latency is butter.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Opera Snapshot_2019-11-26_002625_fast.com.png

Time to revisit the thread since that everybody is posting here. $48/month (~RM199), TIME broadband in Malaysia. I'm the only one who is using this particular ISP in my condo building, that's why I'm getting a bit faster connection than it should be (1 Gbps connection).

Apa khabar?
Hi :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How's your speed to overseas locations?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How's your speed to overseas locations?
I don't know how to change to servers outside of my country on speedtest.net, but I was going to download Clear Linux for my laptop and here is the speed. Pretty sure the CDN servers are either from Japan or Taiwan for connection from South East Asia.
Untitled3.png

115 MB/s translates to 920 Mbps, so I got a bit speed hit going overseas.

And this is my connection to Youtube ("stats for nerds" section).
Untitled4.png

Got a big speed hit at 485 Mbps, but who cares.:p

North_Sky

Major Contributor
With those speeds you guys can dowload all the library books in the world, twice.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
With those speeds you guys can dowload all the library books in the world, twice.

But it's not like people are able to read any faster. More/infinite choices, but less and less time to read. One could theoretically subscribe to every streaming service... truth is, fewer, and fewer people are able to finish a book in one sitting nowadays. When I went to the bookshop a month ago, there were very few people who were actually buying books. I bought one book "White" by Bret Easton Ellis. It's beside me right now. I'm embarrased to say I haven't yet even begun to read page 1. Back in the days of smaller, more limited libraries, I read more -- voraciously, you could even say.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
True, we can download super fast but that doesn't make us faster readers.
Same with music and films. There's just not enough time on this planet to read, to listen and to watch all the good things.

But it's nice to have fast speed and for relatively cheap (inexpensive).

And with G5 we are entering a whole new world ...

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Two videos (boring), but the question I ask to the genius scientific engineers is would that work?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the first video:
You've heard that tale about how if something sounds too good to be true.....................well..........the nicest way I can put it........

Or let me rephrase that: Works great, and works for audio cables whether analog or digital.

On the 2nd video, yep, that can work.

Last edited:

HemiRick

An ethernet cable that is disconnected at one end will not do squat. Complete BS.

Top Bottom