• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm using 500/500 @ US$ 40 in HK. We have 1000/1000 at around US$ 50

But I reckon 1G/1G the time saved in absolute terms (i.e. in seconds) isn't that significant. Peak throughput on speedtest.com can exceed 500Mbps sometimes, since it's bandwidth limited from 1G anyways.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious too as to what exactly the hardware is. Pretty sure it's 2.4GHz. I'll email the ISP and get some technical details just for fun.

All can say is it is a remarkably solid connection with low latency. I didn't have high hopes to be honest, but it has exceeded all my expectations at a low cost AU$59 per month with 500GB data. Very occasionally the house router and the roof mounted receiver/router have a fight over who is the gateway and who is the DHCP server, but that's rare- a reboot of the two units fixes that.

Yes, the Ubiquiti gear I've played with is 5.8 ghz which means it can be smaller, and maybe faster.
This rig here is about 14 x 10 inches runs off POE too.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LBE...r=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=ubiquiti+litebeam+ac+2nd

A couple of those or one of those and one of these sectors works for a few miles. This is like 4 inches by 18 inches and thin.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Lit...id=1542600932&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+sector

If anyone needed such things they are affordable and something a slightly tech savvy person has no trouble with. These even have built in WIFI so you can change setup with a nearby phone as well as over the network. Great for linking something too far out for wifi and capable of good speed.

Last edited:

Don Hills

No matter how good Australian NBN(National Broadband Network) claims it is, after Conservative government emasculation, it pales in comparison compared to our smaller neighbour's(New Zealand) offerings. In NZ they are clocking up to 20x our best(very limited-available 100Mbps access) speeds. ...

Some results just after 7 pm local, 0600 UTC.
I have a 1000/100 Mbps service.

930/96 to local ISP (New Zealand).
940/97 to Australia.
88/14 to LA.
60/6 to the UK.
The cable to the US runs via Sydney.

So it's the Aussies that are being stingy with the bandwidth. :D

bunkbail

Forum Donor
You guys made me look at the site stats and see which countries are getting slowest access. Since our server is in US, the page loads here are the fastest (around 1 second). Here are the page loads from the worst 25 countries:

View attachment 17748

I am very surprised to see South Korea being the slowest with whopping 75 second page load time!

Do we have members in the top 10 list here that can report how fast the forum load time is?
I'm from Malaysia and the load time is not more than 1 sec for me. Weird coz I don't think there's anyone from Malaysia other than me on this forum. I could be wrong though.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm from Malaysia and the load time is not more than 1 sec for me. Weird coz I don't think there's anyone from Malaysia other than me on this forum. I could be wrong though.
Thanks. Vast majority of people who come here don't register. It is the same on every forum if you look at the user stats on the home page.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Thanks. Vast majority of people who come here don't register. It is the same on every forum if you look at the user stats on the home page.
I don't know why I assume those numbers were recorded from registered members only, dumb me.

Bamboszek

You guys made me look at the site stats and see which countries are getting slowest access. Since our server is in US, the page loads here are the fastest (around 1 second). Here are the page loads from the worst 25 countries:

I am very surprised to see South Korea being the slowest with whopping 75 second page load time!

Do we have members in the top 10 list here that can report how fast the forum load time is?
Front page loads in like 2-4 seconds. 1Gbps FTTH in Poland. Slowed down a bit lately, had full 1Gbps week ago. Orange is known for poor Internet exchange point support. They are even sometimes routing domestic connections to other polish operators thru France or Germany because those IXP are cheaper.

and to the USA

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am running out of space on my personal hate list :D
My current sublime and soooo useful speed of 6 Mb/s cost me $100/month ... People do you realize that 20 years ago, corporations were paying >$3000/month for T1 speed (1.5 Mb/s) ?

As a point of reference, Prodigy dial up was about $40 a month or so in 1996/97 .. the speed was a glorious 56 Kb/s depending on your line. the average was 30 KILObits I repeat K-I-L-O ..... per second ...

Last edited:

Bamboszek

I had like 6-10Mbps ADSL about year ago before they installed fiber in my home. Well, it is possible to live with that low speed but stability was awful. Very high ping, packet loss and loosing ADSL synchro for few minutes every hour or so making online gaming or VoIP impossible. One of few benefits of living in developing country is that you usually get newest technologies faster. It is easier to start from the scratch instead of upgrading already existing infrastructure. In Poland we have really cheap unlimited 4G plans, pretty fast internet and modern banking system compared to Germany or USA for example.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Front page loads in like 2-4 seconds. 1Gbps FTTH in Poland. Slowed down a bit lately, had full 1Gbps week ago. Orange is known for poor Internet exchange point support. They are even sometimes routing domestic connections to other polish operators thru France or Germany because those IXP are cheaper.
Thanks. That is slower than I like but still in "good" range.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My current sublime and soooo useful speed of 6 Mb/s cost me $100/month ... People do you realize that 20 years ago, corporations were paying >$3000/month for T1 speed (1.5 Mb/s) ?
Just five years ago we had only DSL service for $60/month for 7 mbit/sec. I got two links for better speed and it jumped to 15 mbit/sec but for whopping $120/month.

Then the power company decided to bury all overhead power lines. Cable company used their ditches and ran their cables there. Now we get 170 mbit/sec for $60 a month. Had they not done that, we would still be living with that clunky DSL service.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am shocked to see so many of you with gigabit links and throughputs. We have these threads every year in various forums and I have never seen such high rates of speeds reported by so many. It is great for our future, enabling so much better sharing of knowledge, data and entertainment.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am shocked to see so many of you with gigabit links and throughputs. We have these threads every year in various forums and I have never seen such high rates of speeds reported by so many. It is great for our future, enabling so much better sharing of knowledge, data and entertainment.
Same here, my XFinity link costs like $80 a month for 90 mbs.
But I well remember the days of listening to the connection tone of the dialup and being able to tell if the handshake would be a success or fail by the stream of sounds toward the end.
Broadband is heaven by comparison.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Phone landlines, after the A/D conversion, were a 64kbit channel, 8bits x 8000/s, usually one bit was stolen by the network.

At the then popular $0.10/minute long distance rate after the Bell System was broken up by the Telecommunications Act of 1984:

One gigabyte of data would take around 39.68 hours (if no problems)...

And at 10c/minute cost $238.

The poor old long distance phone companies sure had their business model broken with the expansion of the data networks.

I was there.

Top Bottom