• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
◘◙♂♀☼◄↕‼¶§▬↨↑→↓∟←↔► http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...d-carry-all-the-internet-traffic-single-fiber

Are you happy? ...With your Internet Download Speed. ...And are you paying too much?

♠ If someone would say to you that for one month you can have 1,000 MBPS of Download and Upload and with Zero latency (0.0000000000000001 MS), for free! What would you do during that month to take full benefit of that offer?

♣ Now, @ many forums members are posting their Internet speed results.
Here there is a twist: Only post your Internet Speed results if you are above 50% average in your country. Below that just keep your results for yourself. Not because of shame or lame, but because it's my thread and my request.

But! If you must insist you won't get banned.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Very happy with mine. This is using the wireless link on my laptop. With ethernet, it clocks at 170 mbit/sec!

5236360625.png

We are in a remote area and getting this kind of speed is phenomenal. Not having a bunch of net heavy users I guess helps :).

I started with just my cell phone link at 300-400 kbits/sec. Then got one dsl link at 8 mbit/sec. Then two dsl links at 15 mbit/sec. Now this big jump. I am happy :).

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I was also curious, so I googled world fastest record Internet Speed:

maxresdefault.jpg

I also found couple more over 1,550 Mbps Download, but that one above was also showing its Upload Speed.
If you can find a faster one, both ways ↓↑ please post it.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Very happy with mine. This is using the wireless link on my laptop. With ethernet, it clocks at 170 mbit/sec!

5236360625.png

We are in a remote area and getting this kind of speed is phenomenal. Not having a bunch of net heavy users I guess helps :).
I started with just my cell phone link at 300-400 kbits/sec. Then got one dsl link at 8 mbit/sec. Then two dsl links at 15 mbit/sec. Now this big jump. I am happy :).

WoW! Faster than 95% of US.

When I first started I was @ less than 1 Mbps. Then averaging 2.5 Mbps from supposedly 3. Then I was offered a deal for 6.00 Mbps but averaging 5.50 Mbps (top was 6.20 and bottom 4.85). Just few days ago I decided to try fiber optic, but it's expensive and I think I'm going to forfeit.
I just run one, wireless sitting outside:

5236297916.png

I don't notice anything faster between 6 and 15 Mbps. ...And I could live easily with 3 Mbps.
And 1 Mbps they told me doesn't exist anymore in my area. And I think 3 is also dead.
But maybe they just want more money and they don't want to tell me the truth?

Oh yeah, I'm happy, real happy, but I would be more happy with more freedom, like if it would be free. :)

Packages they come in all sizes and prices. ...Phone lines with cells and fiber optic TV channels plus Internet. Depending if you use all those features or not, and what plan (Speed), plus unlimited data, tra-la-la ...it can be anywhere from say $80/month (cheapest, no TV), to $300+/month. I'm nearer the bottom, with no Internet TV and cheap phone line and cell phone plan.

Think about it; arm dealings is the most lucrative business in the world, before oil and drugs.
Telecommunications, TV channels entertainment, Hollywood movies, Star Wars, Avatar, Titanic, Cell phone service providers, Internet services, ...depending of where you live could also be very lucrative for people who control the monopoly in your country.

No wonder we have the Panama Papers.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I remember this - 300 baud:

I'm probably still waiting.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In Oz the government committed to the NBN (National Broadband Network) a few years ago. The intention was initially to deliver fibre to all homes/premises (wherever possible - outback probably not :) ) by 2021. Big investment which has already been diluted due to costs where alternatives such as fibre to a street cabinet, copper for the last short length to your house will be implemented in some areas.

We dont have the NBN yet but do have an independent fibre service. Unfortunately this means we are limited to a choice of one ISP. Speeds are fine at non peak times, but seriously deteriorate when loaded. 100/40 connection.

Off peak.
upload_2016-4-10_11-18-14.png

Peak
upload_2016-4-10_11-22-43.png

Netflix also get throttled more than the above implies

Mind you, my first modem was an acoustic coupler which connected to a bulletin board, pre internet. My parents freaked at the phone bill.

upload_2016-4-10_11-31-23.png

I got very excited with my first 56k modem.

upload_2016-4-10_11-32-26.png

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's pretty good relative to some of the stories I hear about expensive and slow links even close to Sydney. And yes, a lot of ISPs de-prioritize Netflix whether they admit it or not.

Peak time the netflix resolution gets severely restricted. Again with the above numbers that doesnt tell the whole story. You can tell from the ping times (2 ms) that them speedtest server is in the same datacentre/Internet peering point as the Fuzenet infrastructure. Its more a test of the local backhaul. Go farther afield to say Sydney and it dramatically reduces. Much more with international. You expect this reduction of course, but at peak times it really gets mullered.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Speed remains fairly consistent at all times.
At about $85.00 a month it's too damn much!
No data limits.

5238975149.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The value of high-speed materializes when you buy high-res music. Typical album is 3-5 gigabytes and I often buy 5-6 albums at a time.
My experience at HDTracks is lame, their server speed to me is slow as a stone. Last 24/96 album I downloaded took about 5 minutes. This was at around 2:00 AM so I wouldn't think you could blame heavy traffic on their server at that time? I checked my connection speed at that time just to be sure and it was it's usual 90m down?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My experience at HDTracks is lame, their server speed to me is slow as a stone. Last 24/96 album I downloaded took about 5 minutes. This was at around 2:00 AM so I wouldn't think you could blame heavy traffic on their server at that time? I checked my connection speed at that time just to be sure and it was it's usual 90m down?
What was the throughput you were getting? I usually get around 20 mbit/sec from what I recall which is well below my peak. But that is OK because it means my wife and I can still use the rest of the bandwidth for everything else.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What was the throughput you were getting? I usually get around 20 mbit/sec from what I recall which is well below my peak. But that is OK because it means my wife and I can still use the rest of the bandwidth for everything else.
I really don't remember, can check if they come up with something I want at a later date. But yea it was way below my 90mb/s down line . For what they charge for their files I would think they could afford better server speeds?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree. With high bandwidth that they utilize they should be able to get a good CDN to serve up their files. Before they fix that, they need to fix the performance of the site itself. I have chatted with David about it and while he is aware of it, he hasn't been able to fix it.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I thought your speed was 170 Mbps when wired. ...Oh, before you were paying that for 15 Mbps, gotcha. That's a rip off! :confused::eek::D

* $104/month for 100 Mbps here, in Canadian dollars. ...Upload up to 20 Mbps, and 500 Gb maximum data/month.
_____

Extreme usage - Constantly download and stream video.
500.svg
Monthly Data
(gigabytes)
mbpsdownload
mbpsupload
Speeds
  • 70 to 100 Mbps download speed - download a 3.5 GB HD movie in just 6 minutes
  • Upload 100 photos online in just 4 minutes
  • 500 GB monthly data
  • Built-in home Wi-Fi®, including Wi-Fi extender
  • 10 email accounts (from Internet service provider)

Internet Only
Price for Internet 100 only.
$93 (Add 12% tax) = $104.16

Last edited:
Top Bottom