• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes, fiber optic was offered to me about two months ago; I said yes. Then they called me to make appointment and I said no.
Then I saw my last Internet bill (regular price, as my deal expired), and made an appointment for installing fiber optic.
The company won; they get more money from me, for now and later on too. I'll have to make another decision this summer, and see if I can save money by having less speed.

* The tech guy told me that they are installing fiber optic cables in smaller communities first because the copper wires are much more in deterioration there than in larger cities, like Vancouver. The copper wire that they removed from the nearest post to my "mansion" was very bad...garbage.

I checked the tech guy installing the fiber optic cable to my place during the entire time, and assisted him occasionally.
...Very delicate work in that junction box. This is not your typical copper wire with typical terminators.
And he was a very young guy too; probably he took a special course in the trade.

Anyway, it inspired me to start this thread and find out more about what other members have and what they are charged.
We sure live in faster communication time, and all over the world.
My Dad never had a computer in his lifetime; he was a big book reader and TV watcher in his retirement years (nature documentaries, sports, films, music channels on TV). RIP Dad; perhaps they have the Internet wherever you are now...say Hi to the rest of the gang.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thought I would resurrect this one as I have changed from a fibre provider to NBN. For those not in Australia the National Broadband Network has been a controversial government scheme to provide universal high speed internet access. Initially intended to put fibre to the home everywhere, it was watered down to save cost. The majority of installation work done so far has been fibre to a local street cabinet and your existing telephone copper to the home from there. You still with this VDSL have the fundamental problems of copper and distance from the node to your house. Farther away, slower you go.

So why did I change from fibre? Well it doesnt matter how good your connection to the local datacentre is if your internet service provider has inadequate bandwidth from there on domestically and particularly internationally. On this privately run fibre in our estate we only had the choice of the one ISP who simply had inadequate bandwidth and had no intention of doing anything about it.

So I can literally throw a stone from the house and hit the fibre cabinet and can get a 150 / 50 Mb/s speed on the connection, although 100 / 40 is the highest that is currently available here. Luckily I have found an ISP that take network capacity and congestion seriously, and even publish the POI capacity/traffic levels. Her is my POI. It doesnt slow down at peak times. When it hits capacity they nudge the bandwidth up.

1542511521687.png

So my interest is what really about other users (in Oz and other countries) experience with international bandwidth. With my ISP its now fantastic, it hardly slows down to the UK from Oz. I was successfully streaming the BBC UHD world cup coverage.

to local datacentre
s2.png

to London from Oz
s1.png

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
tempsnip.png

I'm very happy with my ISP (TIME Broadband in Malaysia) right now, no downtime or period of slowness at all since I've been using it last year. I pay RM 139 (~USD 33) per month, no complaints at all!

Wombat

Master Contributor
No matter how good Australian NBN(National Broadband Network) claims it is, after Conservative government emasculation, it pales in comparison compared to our smaller neighbour's(New Zealand) offerings. In NZ they are clocking up to 20x our best(very limited-available 100Mbps access) speeds.

I get the impression that the USA access to high-speed internet is an even bigger mess than ours.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Forum Donor
We all hate you :p

Only kidding. How about to an international server, thats my real interest. Can you try www.speedtest.net , search on London and select Structured Communications

Fabulous speed you have to a local server, but in the context of the world wide web its pointless unless it extends internationally

Fast.com is an international server too, used by Netflix as a content delivery network (CDN). I usually get full download bandwidth (100 MB/s) if I'm downloading from big and robust servers like Nvidia, Intel, Google Drive and even torrenting.

Anyways, here is the result of my direct internet connection to London - Structured Communications:
internet1.PNG

Quite slow but still acceptable. I have a Socks5-based proxy that I made for myself using the cheapest Vultr VPS instance, and use it as an internet tunnel whenever something like this happens (some servers are noticeably slower when surfed directly). Here is the result of my internet speed using the proxy connection:
internet2.PNG

:)

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I somehow get better speeds with my phone. I blame my ancient laptop:p.
Screenshot_2018-11-18-13-04-12-111_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Speedtest . net
93 down, 12 up with FL local server
81 down, 8 up to Vodafone UK

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've written before about my pitiful DSL that is 5.5 meg late at night. More like 2 meg most of the other time.

My Google Fi phone gets some good speed. And I can hotspot it. In a nearby upscale city, there is a few square mile area where I can get 140-160 mbps service even in peak use times. That would be plenty if the data were unlimited. I can park across the street from a tower near me and get the same speed. I really wish phone companies would work on saturating large areas for 100+ mbps service instead of going 5G which is going to be in very limited areas.

My brother in another state has fiber and could get 1 gig up and down, and you do get that. He trialed it for awhile. He goes with a less expensive tier that is something like 300 down and 100 up. He does get very close to those figures almost all the time.

Of course at my home I'm hoping this works out:

https://arstechnica.com/information...-approval-for-7500-more-broadband-satellites/

Praise Elon Musk and pass the broadband.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Don't think there aren't those of us out here who still HATE you!

:)
Not the first time I hear that :cool:. To be honest, the ISP I'm using right now is quite new to the market here and is only available in limited areas, mostly in urban, high landed buildings and in 2 states only (we have 14 states here). I initially signed up for 300 Mbps connection (download speed, upload is halved) in November last year but they have been silently and gradually upgrading the connection with no price change or contract renewals, as a form of marketing (the best form of marketing I'd say). The speed upgrade that I'm supposed to have now is 800 Mbps (download) but so far the speed I've been getting is a bit higher than that at 850 Mbps and I've been enjoying it for 3 months now. Life's good. :)

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Local: 120 Mbps up / 10 Mbps down
International (Paris): 85 Mbps
Cox, WiFi

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
8C50E821-3B39-42C7-B8E0-C393DCFBBD5E.png
Results from Norway. Mix of wifi in house (3 floors, ASUS ROG AC5300 router) on my iPhone XS Max and 4G in my neighbourhoods.

Fixed line in-house is 1000/50 on copper lines (actual download speed according to Apple TV/Speedtest-Ookla is 940/50 Mbps).

In Norway, speed has become a non-issue, even on high ways.

1000/50 line is about $50 per month.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 17739Results from Norway. Mix of wifi in house (3 floors, ASUS ROG AC5300 router) on my iPhone XS Max and 4G in my neighbourhoods.

Fixed line in-house is 1000/50 on copper lines (actual download speed according to Apple TV/Speedtest-Ookla is 940/50 Mbps).

I need to move to Norway. Are you taking USA transplants now?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One bit of good news here in PAPi. Enough to get HiRez and perhaps 4 K on Netflix. Tidal is lossless .. Don't know for MQA and don't even care :D
7809966159.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 17739Results from Norway. Mix of wifi in house (3 floors, ASUS ROG AC5300 router) on my iPhone XS Max and 4G in my neighbourhoods.

I DESPISE YOU!!

:D

Top Bottom