• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

Special 40 vs heritage specials is a clear difference in price and performance.

my heritage special sound best minimal 50cm from corners. they have very good downwards extension for small 2 way speakers. I don’t use a sub, I never liked subs with music, just with movies.
tried good subs, but never succeeded in tuning them so right that I preferred them with stereo music.

but for a smallish 2 way speaker the heritage special is very full sounding. can fill my big room with loud dance music, I sometimes like.

only for big philharmonic orchestras of movies I would prefer larger 3 or 4 way speakers. But they also have downsides.

Wezzy

Special 40 vs heritage specials is a clear difference in price and performance.

my heritage special sound best minimal 50cm from corners. they have very good downwards extension for small 2 way speakers. I don’t use a sub, I never liked subs with music, just with movies.
tried good subs, but never succeeded in tuning them so right that I preferred them with stereo music.

but for a smallish 2 way speaker the heritage special is very full sounding. can fill my big room with loud dance music, I sometimes like.

only for big philharmonic orchestras of movies I would prefer larger 3 or 4 way speakers. But they also have downsides.
Thanks for the reply. After months reading and watch reviews, i have took the plunge and ordered a pair of heritage specials.
The SP 40`s will now be moved on, for my end game speakers. I will update when have had some run time on them.
Cheers.

Congratulations, and great that you can still buy them. 2500 pairs in the world, gonna be a collector’s item.
and 10 years warranty from dynaudio, that’s high quality!

you should get a great price for your special 40’s because that is still a wonderful good speaker, and very rubust.

heritage special is a step up with the esotar 3, as you will hear. But I am very curious how you will describe the differences.

but the approx 100 hours playing time is needed to make them sound best, so remember that.

Wezzy

Congratulations, and great that you can still buy them. 2500 pairs in the world, gonna be a collector’s item.
and 10 years warranty from dynaudio, that’s high quality!

you should get a great price for your special 40’s because that is still a wonderful good speaker, and very rubust.

heritage special is a step up with the esotar 3, as you will hear. But I am very curious how you will describe the differences.

but the approx 100 hours playing time is needed to make them sound best, so remember that.
Thank you again. I have sold my SP 40`s today for a good price and my HS arrive on Wednesday. i am really excited about these speakers arriving.
I plan to play the first few albums i choose at regular intervals, maybe every 25 hours, to see how the speakers change over the burn in time.
Thanks again.

new materials that bend and form will adjust, only makes sense. As does aging, but that goes much slower……

matro5

Thank you again. I have sold my SP 40`s today for a good price and my HS arrive on Wednesday. i am really excited about these speakers arriving.
I plan to play the first few albums i choose at regular intervals, maybe every 25 hours, to see how the speakers change over the burn in time.
Thanks again.

Congrats and enjoy!

esmit

The Audiosciencereview answer would be 0 hours, I think. Or 1, to warm it up.

From dynaudio website:
And so it is with speakers. Like car engines, they’re mechanical – the voice-coil, spider and diaphragm are all moving parts, and they need to loosen up too. The most straightforward way to get this happening is simply to listen to music for around 30 hours at a higher volume than you’d normally listen at (you don’t have to do that all at once, but we totally understand why you might not be able to help yourself with our speakers). After that time your speakers will be operating how our designers want them to. If you want, you can do your own experiment – put them in another room, have a listen, close the door, then leave the music on for three days. When you come back they’ll sound different – sweeter, subtler, more musical – and you’ll notice it.

I can confirm with my experience. Subjective I know.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From dynaudio website:
And so it is with speakers. Like car engines, they’re mechanical – the voice-coil, spider and diaphragm are all moving parts, and they need to loosen up too. The most straightforward way to get this happening is simply to listen to music for around 30 hours at a higher volume than you’d normally listen at (you don’t have to do that all at once, but we totally understand why you might not be able to help yourself with our speakers). After that time your speakers will be operating how our designers want them to. If you want, you can do your own experiment – put them in another room, have a listen, close the door, then leave the music on for three days. When you come back they’ll sound different – sweeter, subtler, more musical – and you’ll notice it.

I can confirm with my experience. Subjective I know.
Good. Then if any of these would make any sense, that is a shame these "very exclusive" 6k€ bookshelves are not delivered already burned-in out of the box...:rolleyes:

By the way: If everybody simply goes by manufacturer's claims, then there's no point for ASR at all.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then if any of these would make any sense, that is a shame these "very exclusive" 6k€ bookshelves are not delivered already burned-in out of the box...:rolleyes:
I bet they are delivered burned in, the QC probably does enough, and for the more expensive products like this there is probably a short soak test. That the websites and manuals continue to spout this BS is all about customers wanting and expecting it, not about reality, same way expensive Kef's come with thicker internal wire.

What is real and probably much more relevant is warm up, if speakers are delivered cold they take some time to come up to room temp, and the sound will literally warm up as the bass returns.

MGG

Hi end market is craving for audiophile flamethrower. It would solve both warm up and burn in and it would certainly reduce every veil that might need lifting into dust all of it would be done within seconds.

ThELiZ

I will stick to the Dynaudio advice. And enjoy them every time i listen to these superb speakers.

Cynical of me, I know, but what if this claim were made from Dynaudio in order to make sure customers don't return their loudspeakers within the 'free returns' timeframe... I've been asked numerous times by dealers when I want to return speakers, whether they have been 'burned in yet'. 100 hours is a LOT of listening... Maybe waiting for the old brain box to 'burn in'?... Otherwise known as becoming accustomed to the sound.

30 hours at higher volume dynaudio advice. I believe them and I heard it myself.

topping d90se with purifi power amplifier at near max volume gives 100db (iphone measurement) very buttery smooth sound, effortless and punchy in a nice way with dance music. fairly large room 5x9 meters.
I love it!

S-unny

Luxman L-590AXII
wow ! thats pure class A. What is your opinion of Class A vs others on pairing with Dhs? I believe the Devialet are primarily class Ds.
Also, did you look into
- pairing with Schiit audio products ? they have an Aegir which is class A {not comparable to your L anyday}
- pairing with the Purifi's 1ET400A/eigentakt technology based amps ? eg NAD c298
... I am trying to incrementally work out the best combination with my Dhs units

esmit

wow ! thats pure class A. What is your opinion of Class A vs others on pairing with Dhs? I believe the Devialet are primarily class Ds.
Also, did you look into
- pairing with Schiit audio products ? they have an Aegir which is class A {not comparable to your L anyday}
- pairing with the Purifi's 1ET400A/eigentakt technology based amps ? eg NAD c298
... I am trying to incrementally work out the best combination with my Dhs units
I currently am checking an LSA Warp 1 power amplifier, much better control on bass than my primaluna dialogue premium integrated (but voices are nicer on the tubes), you could check that next to the Purify.

Top Bottom