• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Trouble is, whenever I look up something I'm listening to on CD, and then listen to it on Youtube, it sounds so bad I refuse to post the links. Youtube just sounds so putridly awful.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Trouble is, whenever I look up something I'm listening to on CD, and then listen to it on Youtube, it sounds so bad I refuse to post the links. Youtube just sounds so putridly awful.

Just drop a needle.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just drop a needle.

Vinyl? No that's for when I have had several drinks and reminisce a little. I have half a dozen turntables sitting here I was just about to pack up.

I'm playing with some heavyweight CD players from my collection at the moment:

DSC_2021 (Medium).jpeg

158.5lbs (71.9kg) of gear in just those 4 pieces...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Or go to the highest resolution that your YouTube subscription would allow you to.
Or buy this LP of Solomon Burke. Or buy the compact disc. Or get it on Tidal or Roon.
No matter what be inside the music, let it enthralled you, dance to the rhythm.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Vinyl? No that's for when I have had several drinks and reminisce a little. I have half a dozen turntables sitting here I was just about to pack up.

View attachment 16481

You sound like you are stuck with 72 kg of digital compact disc players.
Post the music CDs that you are listening to then.

Me I was listening to that Solomon Burke CD but I just wanted to share the music instead of the CD cover. That way we get to hear it too. If the music rocks our boat we buy it.
Me that's the way it goes with music. I'm happy with a CD, as I would with the LP.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a good preview tool though for the rest of us to know if we should get it for our library.

Wombat

Master Contributor
With only 12GB of internet monthly download I tend to use Allmusic(or similar sites) samples. About to get broadband internet so video will be an option.
20untitled3.jpg

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I used to post the album cover (500x500) from all music.com
And when you clicked on the cover picture album it was directly bringing you to a sampling music video. That was a labor of love and time.
Now I go quicker with YouTube.

If I post only the link, for people using the old IE (Internet Explorer) browser, because they only see a black box, people don't usually click on the link by itself.

Data we all love to save, that's why they created MQA. ...And of course to sell us the same music all over again, with lower resolution but better compacted data.

When Amir runs out of data on his site we'll send him loads of money so that he can load some more. :)

Traffic is always good for business and education, and presentation is key.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Not right now but close enough ...

Yesterday we went to a Carmina Burana Ballet at the Orlando Lips Theater. I have heard the piece several times. I was introduced to it by "Excalibur" A 1981 John Leeman movie. In those days there were no Internet and It took me a considerable amount of time to finally find the score. Got it from my own father collection on LP. Eugen Jochum I believe was the conductor ... I have listened to it a number of time and on better pressings then CD came and Carmina Burana could live to its full GLory ...Never saw the Ballet. it was a Ballet with Orchestra in the Pit and everything ..
I thoroughly enjoyed the music and the performance ... but and to me this is a big "but" ..BUT there was an electronic sound reinforcement system and there was arrays of speakers in the front: Left, Right and Center .. The music from the "pit" was clearly coming from above and it was annoying. sometimes the bass to my ears, seemed "enhanced' by subwoofers... This could have ruined the evening but I made a mental note to just enjoy the darn music and the good (not great) choreography.
The choir and soloists were adequate no World-beaters there. The Ballet caught me; it was beautiful. I don't know enough about ballet to propose an educated opinion. I did however find the dancers good if not always in synch with each other... but most enjoyable. Acoustics are so so nothing great but nothing bad either. The Theater is modern. I liked the Architecture a lot ...
If you have the opportunity this is a most interesting piece , some have dubbed it :Classical Music Greatest Hit. Sounds very medieval but is not baroque, nor medieval ... Not the greatest of all Classical music but a piece that will grow on you and a ballet which can be be quite entertaining. I would like to see it with a World Class orchestra and Ballet without the sound enhancement. I can do without the PA system. It did sound reproduced at times...

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

View attachment 16481

I just post the link, skip the listening to YouTube part. Think of it as more the flavour of what your listening to rather than being strictly literal.

Top Bottom